Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Probably buying a Wii U soon, and...my monitor doesn't have an audio out port. Would this kind of thing work? I'd need an extra HDMI cable, but then I could plug headphones or external speakers into the stereo port and be all set, right? Or am I missing any information about technical audio stuff?

Edited by Hylian Lemon

Probably buying a Wii U soon, and...my monitor doesn't have an audio out port. Would this kind of thing work? I'd need an extra HDMI cable, but then I could plug headphones or external speakers into the stereo port and be all set, right? Or am I missing any information about technical audio stuff?
googling around a bit, it looks like that's the only way to get a separate audio stream from the Wii U

There's no way to tell it to send it out the AV cable like PS3? If not, that's too bad.

No you're actually wrong, the Wii U can actually split audio through it's AV analog port out to an external source, and output video through HDMI. It wasn't possible at first, but with the latest firmware update to 4.0, you can now do so. Nintendo mentions it on their support website and even has instructions. Looks like it's your lucky day!

No you're actually wrong, the Wii U can actually split audio through it's AV analog port out to an external source, and output video through HDMI. It wasn't possible at first, but with the latest firmware update to 4.0, you can now do so. Nintendo mentions it on their support website and even has instructions. Looks like it's your lucky day!

Thanks! An RCA/stereo connector should do the trick, then, right? Much more appealing.

So...current solution: HDMI cable -> monitor for video. Wii composite cable -> female-RCA-to-3.5mm-stereo connector -> speaker for audio. Could be prettier, but whatever gets the job done.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

Got my sound working. Shooting the audio through the computer itself so I can use my headphones and adjust the volume. Anyone know if there's a way to send gamepad audio through the console like you can do with Wii remotes? I just have the volume slider all the way down, and sometimes it's a little awkwardly silent, but it's not a big issue.

I know sometimes the same audio comes from the gamepad and the console, so I figure it might not be possible.

ID is Hylian_Lemon.

People were talking about a big Nintendo reveal at VGX for a week? If they were looking forward to a Nintendo announcement that wasn't happening via Nintendo Direct, they weren't looking in the right place. I'm surprised Nintendo even bothered.

I'm at the absolute final level of 3D World. Playing as Mario with no powerups. It's SO HARD but in a fun way. In a sweaty-trembling-hands fun way.

So the big Nintendo reveal at VGX people talked about for a week ended up being Scrooge McDuck Kong

lol ZeldaInformer got everyone's hopes up for nothing, predicting they'd talk about Zelda U.

ZI is way too excited and now they probably think ANYTHING could be a clue to Zelda U.

it would be really nice if that actually happened, though.

Cranky Kong for Brawl! I like how DK can pair with all the others.

I think it's pretty cool, although I was really hoping to see something from Star Fox. I think the Wii U is absolutely perfect for the Star Fox series. Anyway, that's just my inner fanboy talking. I liked the interview and I really think that Reggie was hinting at something for Metroid. I mean, c'mon. He's wearing a Metroid pin to an interview featuring a game by Retro Studios....so subtle and coy.

Heads up for anyone interested in buying the excellent Lego City Undercover. This title isn't being printed anymore and soon will be hard to find new. Gamestop can't even order it new anymore, just as preowned copies. Grab it while you can! You can still find it on Amazon new for the time being.

Hyrule Warriors, a Zelda X Dynasty Warriors crossover has been announced (not the next main Zelda game, as Iwata states, just a crossover. Plus NES remix, Dr. Luigi, Rosalina in Brawl, and what looks like to be (but not for certain) both Rosalina and Kirby in Mario Kart 8.

link to the whole Nintendo direct:

Hyrule Warriors looks pretty awesome, but a bit tech demo-y right now. Which means we probably won't see it released til next christmas. But those weapons, man.... Those WEAPONS.

Rosalina being in Smash doesn't really get my fires going, but she is probably the best "new" Mario character. Better than Bowser Jr or Waluigi, anyway. I'm glad she's getting this additional exposure.

NES Remix is really cool. Think of it as a cross between WarioWare and Nintendo World Championships. Basically, there are timed challenges from a variety of games where you're placed into a level with a specific task. The faster you complete the task, the more stars you earn (up to 3 per challenge), and more stars unlock more challenges.