Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

also that's why you bundle physical versions with these consoles, not digital versions.

exactly exactly exactly exactly exactly exactly

still angry at them for that choice. stupid, stupid move.

and they are a larger company than Sony from what I've read and making the Wii U doesn't cost as much to make I don't think, so it really seems like a no-brainer to just bundle physical copies.

DSiShop's affected too.

Their whole network went kaput for the most part (I've been able to access the eShop just fine today when I check). From what I read, Pokemon Bank released early in Japan, and it was causing issues even then. So I wouldn't be surprised if that started the outage (which would explain why they so quickly pulled it)

yeah I can't use eShop at all. won't let me touch it. most everyone is affected by it. CA must be ok, hahahaha

every shop is affected. Wii Shop is even affected. Wii Shop. who gives a rip about the Wii Shop anymore. like I didn't even know it still existed.

they need to pull it together. PSN and Xbox Live are totally fine now. Nintendo has been spending 48+ hours on all of this. ridiculous.

no excuses or defense for Nintendo this time. love your games Nintendo and you're always my favorite, but you seriously need to pull your act together.

yeah I can't use eShop at all. won't let me touch it. most everyone is affected by it. CA must be ok, hahahaha

every shop is affected. Wii Shop is even affected. Wii Shop. who gives a rip about the Wii Shop anymore. like I didn't even know it still existed.

they need to pull it together. PSN and Xbox Live are totally fine now. Nintendo has been spending 48+ hours on all of this. ridiculous.

no excuses or defense for Nintendo this time. love your games Nintendo and you're always my favorite, but you seriously need to pull your act together.

Okay. We get it.

who gives a rip about the Wii Shop anymore.

People who own a Wii? or Wii U, since every Wii U has a Wii "inside" of it (Wii mode). Lots of people own WiiWare games and VC games and/or might want to purchase something.

I take it this is your first experience with Nintendo's services online? They have been notoriously behind the times. You don't get a Nintendo product for a great online experience unfortunately. They are improving as the years go, but don't expect things to work perfectly... ESPECIALLY near a holiday. ESPECIALLY near a Pokemon related online system being put in place lol

Its been reported all over the internet that Nintendo has been having issues and has been more down for maintenance than up. Just wait until they get it back up and/or people stop hammering their servers for Pokemon Bank.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/online-service-status.jsp

Until this is all green, don't even bother :/

And not sure who told you Nintendo is bigger than Sony... Sony is an electronics mega corp. Nintendo basically JUST makes game related items these days. Nintendo's games division is generally more profitable than Sony's game division but doesn't make Nintendo larger than all of Sony.

Like I mentioned earlier: Just go get a physical game until the servers come back up fully.

Are there any good Vocal Songs in the game?

Like with lyrics? WW original didn't have anything like that. Zelda so far doesn't usually do even voice acting so having a fully lyrical song is going to be a little stretch, especially from the older games. Music is still good regardless!

Edited by Crowbar Man

People who own a Wii? or Wii U, since every Wii U has a Wii "inside" of it (Wii mode). Lots of people own WiiWare games and VC games and/or might want to purchase something.

I take it this is your first experience with Nintendo's services online? They have been notoriously behind the times. You don't get a Nintendo product for a great online experience unfortunately. They are improving as the years go, but don't expect things to work perfectly... ESPECIALLY near a holiday. ESPECIALLY near a Pokemon related online system being put in place lol

Its been reported all over the internet that Nintendo has been having issues and has been more down for maintenance than up. Just wait until they get it back up and/or people stop hammering their servers for Pokemon Bank.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/online-service-status.jsp

Until this is all green, don't even bother :/

I tried, was able to get into eShop, and then it failed once I got in the download code for Wind Waker. Hope that's, uh, recoverable.

I'm quite aware of Nintendo's failure of online service. Wii was much worse. I could hardly do anything because it could never connect. Mario Kart Wii was about the only online game that worked, and Wii Shop worked half the time.

Yeah, I'm not going to even touch the eShop again until full availability.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Wind Waker bundle for Christmas, and I am really enjoying the Wii U so far. So far, I have played some of Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, NES Remix, and Earthbound, as well as running through Mega Man X again.

I usually don't like buying the digital version of a game if a physical copy is available, particularly when there's no difference in price point, but between getting 20% off on Nintendo eShop cards at Best Buy during a sale, getting a $15 Best Buy gift card from purchasing the reduced-price gift cards as an additional promotion, and Nintendo's Deluxe Digital Promotion, it made it worth my while to get download versions of a couple retail games.

I remember reading about complaints with the updated visuals to Wind Waker HD, but it's all been a nice improvement. Sailing is also slightly less tedious with the new sail from the auction.

I only played the first few days of Pikmin 3, but it's been great so far. I was a bit concerned when I first heard about all the new Pikmin because I was afraid it was going to make the game overly-complicated when you need a specialized Pikmin for something, but selection between Pikmin groups works really well. It's also a really pretty game!

NEX Remix is a lot of fun; I think the last time I played some of its featured games was back when the NES was still a new system. I read some review of the game recently, and its biggest gripe was the lack of multiplayer, which seems a little silly because only one person can play at a time anyway, and you can just take turns if you want to play with friends.

Off-screen play is a really nice feature, and Miiverse is a lot more entertaining than I expected. I'm looking forward to checking out more of what the system has to offer when I have some more time!

I remember reading about complaints with the updated visuals to Wind Waker HD, but it's all been a nice improvement. Sailing is also slightly less tedious with the new sail from the auction.

people will complain about absolutely anything. there's absolutely no problem with it. people just want to not like something.

my issue was that I couldn't play my Wind Waker bundle for 3 DAYS. -_-

it's great now, though. really enjoying it.

people will complain about absolutely anything. there's absolutely no problem with it. people just want to not like something.

my issue was that I couldn't play my Wind Waker bundle for 3 DAYS. -_-

it's great now, though. really enjoying it.

I had a similar problem, though it didn't last as long: I couldn't get onto the eShop on Christmas, but I got connected by the early afternoon the next day. It was pretty annoying when the whole idea of packing a download code is mimicking the instant access of having a physical copy, but the eShop has worked really well since then for me, so I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm sure by now we've all seen Nintendo's financial report, and things are... less rosy than they predicted. Now the internet is running rampant with speculation about what it means for the future of Nintendo and the WiiU.

One of the more reasonable-sounding suggestions thus far as been to sell the WiiU without the gamepad, instead substituting a pro controller. Personally, I like the gamepad. It's large, but handy... But not essential. I look at my games I have on the system so far and very few make use of the gamepad to the point where it's essential. Basically, Nintendoland and possibly ZombiiU (haven't played very much of it so far). Even Mario 3D World really only uses it for activating a few platforms and doors. That said, the gamepad is a bit too large and expensive to sell as an optional peripheral, and they can't drop it altogether, because that is basically admission that it was never necessary to begin with.

What do you guys think? Should Nintendo work to make the WiiU closer in function to the ps4 and xbone? Is the problem with the WiiU a matter of its specs and function, or just a matter of marketing?

Not sure if there's any way to save the Wii U apart from selling it at a fair price... you don't get nearly the value for your buck that you get with a PS4 or even an Xbone. It might do ok if they dropped the price to $200, and hopefully they aren't spending that much to produce them... doesn't seem like it should add up.

It really boils down to one major fault:

The GamePad.

a) They advertised the GamePad over the console itself, confusing many people into thinking it was either another Wii accessory or maybe another Handheld. Naming the console Wii U didn't help either.

B) The GamePad's price (screens are expensive) is what drove the price from a reasonable $250 to "not an impulse purchase" $350. Nintendo didn't want to cut a loss on hardware like their competitors so they marked up the price to compensate for the screen. One of the major reason's Wii took off is because it was a new simple idea, tied to an impulse price, and dramatically lower than its competitors. They didn't do any of this right.

c) Very few games even really make good use of it. The ones that do can easily be done without it. Its neat, but not a "i'm going to buy a console this"

d) Their competitors have duplicated its functionality already, not later like last gen. (PS4/Vita, and to a lesser extent, Smart Glass / XBO)

And beyond the GamePad itself, the other largest mistake was using a CPU that really doesn't seem up to par with the 360. GPU wise, it seems the Wii U can handle anything 360/PS3 could do and then some, but CPU wise it shows that unless devs put time into optimization (hint: They wont) they can't slap the same code from PS3/360 and expect it to work as smooth. All the lazy 3rd party ports performed worse on the Wii U than last generations 360, and either on par, slightly better, or sometimes even worse than the PS3. Obviously, you don't get a Nintendo console for 3rd party games, but this leaves those that want a console that can at the very least play 3rd party games as well in the dust, meaning the only reason to get it was to play Nintendo games. Its still a VERY good reason to get it obviously, but $350 was too steep for most. $300 isn't much better. Another $50 drop and maybe people would warm up to it, but its a little late now. The big guns are out now and in a short time they are almost caught up to Wii U sales in a few months.

That said... I'm more excited about games coming out on Wii U than anything coming out on other next gen platforms. If Nintendo can continue to deliver great 1st party content and exclusives on the Wii U, along with meeting a decent price point, they should be fine. They won't be winning this gen for sure, but people calling for their demise are exaggerating.

If anything, the 3DS currently is the hottest selling platform right now, so they can glide/limp along with that in a worse case scenario.

Now come on DKC:TF, Mario Kart 8, Smash U, next Zelda (NOT Hyrule Warriors), X, Bayo 2, SMT x Fire Emblem and anything else you have to throw at me Nintendo :)

Edited by Crowbar Man