Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Sounds like you're just being pessimistic at this point and letting that cloud your judgment. Regarding Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog is fantastic at making games look good at all times. And with the power of the PS4, it'll likely look as good as that cutscene.

The Wii U is pretty powerful as well. A cutscene itself is just a series of scripts telling things where to move and what to do. If we get a very versatile camera, it's quite likely we'll be able to zoom out and get an angle similar to what we saw in the trailer. And as for the cutscene, it probably didn't start until the laser-shooting thing showed up. Until then, that was all outside of a cutscene, and therefore actual gameplay. Even if nothing was happening.

Yeah while the Wii U is most certainly behind in hardware abilities compared to PS4 and Xbone, it's still a really powerful console.

And here's the thing which is why I believe that the Zelda will look extremely close to what they showed us: It's not just that they said that that was in-engine. It's also the fact that we all know that of all the franchises that release on Nintendo consoles, very few do what Zelda does. Zelda pushes the hardware to its limits. The developers for Zelda try their hardest basically every time to take advantage of the technology they've got and push it as far as they can go until the hardware can't take it anymore, and then they work around it. It's truly amazing how a Zelda game honestly makes the console look like it can do more than it generally can for most other games.

This is part of what makes these franchises so special. Mario Kart 8 is another really great example. Let's all be honest, Mario Kart 8 is probably one of the prettiest games that's released for the Wii U. It's absolutely gorgeous. And I've seen in reviews people saying (not just graphically, but just the way it plays) that Mario Kart 8 makes the Wii U look better than it technically is. And that's how a great game is made. And that's how Zelda has always been. It's always taken advantage of the hardware and pushed it as far as it can go and still function extremely well and play wonderfully. So I honestly have no doubts that what we saw is going to be extremely close to what we get.

I mean, back with the console wars of the 90s, someone challenged a guy from SEGA that the SNES had thousands of colors while the Genesis only had a few hundred. The guy from SEGA brought the person over to a place with numerous games playing, some Genesis, some SNES. He asked which looked better. And seeing them, even I can say the Genesis games looked better. Why? The guy from SEGA said it's not how much of something you have, but what you do with it. Just cuz you have the graphical capabilities doesn't mean you're gonna have a pretty game. Nintendo has had some gorgeous games in the past as well as SEGA and it's not because they had the most powerful hardware in the system; it's because the developers knew how to get around it and take advantage of it and create something that was really quite a amazing.

And considering how Zelda is, the more powerful Nintendo's technology gets, probably the faster, prettier, and larger the Zelda world will get. That's what I love about Zelda.

Sounds like you're just being pessimistic at this point and letting that cloud your judgment. Regarding Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog is fantastic at making games look good at all times. And with the power of the PS4, it'll likely look as good as that cutscene.

Yes they make games look amazing, but keep in mind a lot of times they are rendering cutscenes "from a PS3" but not necessarily in real time if I'm not mistaken, and the cutscenes are definately a couple leaps above actual gameplay. This is how almost all modern game design is though: Cutscene models / animations / effects, even if real time, look better than in game stuff. Nothing new. (Uncharted 4 will NOT look that way during gameplay, for example)

Either way it doesn't matter. As long as the game is good that is what is important.

I just perfer to see what the game (or any game) looks like when someone is actually playing it (a real person, not a fake "gameplay" demo by someone pretending to play it on stage). E3 has become a place of Bullshots and make believe, and here is hoping Nintendo doesn't take that route! (they have been pretty good about showing real gameplay in the past)

Edited by Crowbar Man

According to an interview with Reggie, the sales of the Wii U are not nearly as bad as everyone thought. Apparently Wii U is still ahead of the Xbone and just behind PS4. Granted, PS4 and Xbone are both like a whole year younger than the Wii U but I was expecting the Wii U to be far behind by this point. Apparently not.

In fact, I don't personally know anyone with a PS4 or Xbone, but I know at least three other people with a Wii U, if not more. Three off the top of my head.

True, but I think more people jumped right on it to get those consoles. This generation has started off quite a bit slower. Nevertheless, combining all three console's sales, you have somewhere around 18 million sales. And I just looked and as of April, Wii U has sold over 6 million, PS4 has sold 7 million, and Xbone 5 million. However, it says Xbone has actually *shipped* 5 million, but 3 million have been sold. So not sure.

I'm interested to see what the sales of the Wii U will be since the release of Mario Kart 8. All the great games are coming to the console finally and I think it may pick up some speed, even if it doesn't ultimately win this war.

Honestly, Nintendo's fine. The Wii U is not bombing and they made a crapload of money from the Wii and are still doing really well with the 3DS (the 3DS lineup has shipped over 43 million), so honestly I have no worries about them. They're doing just fine. I don't get all this hate and bashing around Nintendo when they're honestly doing fairly well right now. Definitely not the best, but they aren't sucking. So far 2014 is going way better for them than 2013, obviously.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

It's mostly because the last generation did so well, I think. Those were the most successful consoles any of the three makers had ever made, by a lot. And they all started in full swing. This time:

Nintendo: "Our new console is graphically comparable to those of our competitors' last generation, its key feature is a peripheral no one really knows what to do with, its name makes it sounds like an accessory to our last system, and it costs almost twice as much!"

Microsoft: "Our new console is still HD, does a bunch of things you can already do on your computer, features a gimmicky device that doesn't have any good game support despite being out for years now, launches with almost entirely games that are already out on older systems, prevents you from playing used games or from playing offline, and is the most expensive console in years!"

Sony: "No changes. It's just more PlayStation. It's prettier. You know you'll buy one eventually, anyway, because the other guys suck."

Now that new exclusive titles are coming out, there will start to be some buy-in. But it's not because the consoles are anything to brag about, it's because you need them to play the new games. Almost nothing was announced at E3 that couldn't have been made last-gen, and if they did, still no one would buy the new consoles.

For what its worth, the main reason I've yet to purchase any of the new consoles is lack of compelling software. I have no plans to even jump on the Ps4/XBone train until I see something that really makes me interested in the systems.

As for the Wii U? I'll pick that up when Smash comes out, as I imagine thousands upon thousands of others will be doing as well. I could easily see it being a major turning point for the Wii U

Quality software and hardware cost is all that matters in the end. PS3 had a VERY hard struggle last generation, with its insanely high cost ($600) and lack of exclusives and poor 3rd party ports. By the end of last generation, they finally caught up / outsold the 360 (small margin). Mostly due to Euro / Japanese sales (360 is still the lead in the US). But the price point lowering, 3rd party port improvement ("close enough" at least), and eventually quality first party titles, all helped.

Wii U: High price point, bad 3rd party ports that didn't perform as good as last generation consoles half its cost, Nintendo themselves didn't even release anything good on it for almost a year, and then you have Nintendo's bad advertising that shoved the GamePad in everybodies face and confused (still today!) people into thinking it was an accessory to the Wii.

So they've fixed a few of those: Price point is lowered and they have great game bundle offers. They've been desperately trying to let people know the Wii U is a new console. Pikmin 3, SM3DW, MK8, Smash, etc are all high quality games that are being release (still a slow trickle, but better than nothing all year). Only still major negative here, that outside of Indie scene, major 3rd party devs have abandoned the Wii U at this point and even if they came back, last generation's games are going to slowly stop being made, and the Wii U is not a good place for next gen 3rd party ports. But Nintendo can support a platform all by itself.

Will they have some wild success? Probably not. Will they fail? Probably not. And who cares either way? As long as they push out good games that we want to play, that is all that matters in the end. If you don't enjoy Nintendo software, its obviously a bad choice, but if you do, its the best choice right now! Nintendo is doing a great job this gen with their titles so far. I hope they keep it up!

MK8 boosted sales (both of the console and the game), Smash is sure to do the same if they don't mess it up (so far so good!). Then you have next gen Zelda, making everybody excited, Star Fox floating around, etc. All of that combined, with maybe another price drop in the future, I think things will be fine. Not "KING OF THE NEXT GEN" obviously but fine enough.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Wii U's time to strike is now. Media and gamers were hating on the console so much before, but now that the O.S., game library, and online experience have been improved, the console is starting to look like an attractive alternative to the other two consoles (let's not count out the fact that Nintendo is also developing games to make use of the gamepad's differentiating functions). Nintendo needs to continue to evolve and enhance their online experience. They have the games coming in now, and they will probably get the attention of more 3rd parties if sales continue to rise and the user base increases. They also need to market their games like Mario Kart 8.

And this isn't just for Nintendo, but for other companies as well: Quit waiting for user bases and demographic information to decide whether or not to release a game. ****ing market the game. Want Metroid or Fire Emblem to sell on the Wii U? Make the game good and actually tell people about it. And not just a Nintendo Direct to existing hardcore Nintendo fans like myself. Tell everybody about it. Do commercials like you did for Mario Kart 8.

Tell people about Metroid, and how it is about a brave, intelligent, attractive woman in a alien suit on a distant planet fighting space lizards. People will buy that shit. It's just that save a few million of us, nobody knows how awesome it is.

And bring back cartoons and movies, even if they are bad. Put your characters back in the public consciousness. And make toys....oh wait. Good move Nintendo.

Anyway, things are looking up in my opinion.

Nintendo isn't reaping profits currently because their new system launched with not-a-lot-of-software which is exactly how the launch of literally every Nintendo console has ever gone

NES had Super Mario Bros. SNES had Super Mario World. N64 had Super Mario 64. GameCube had Melee. Wii had stuff like Twilight Princess. This generation had New Super Mario Bros. U. I don't care how fun that game may be, nobody gives a foop about New Super Mario Bros. anymore. They drove that concept into the ground.

It's mostly because the last generation did so well, I think. Those were the most successful consoles any of the three makers had ever made, by a lot. And they all started in full swing. This time:

Nintendo: "Our new console is graphically comparable to those of our competitors' last generation, its key feature is a peripheral no one really knows what to do with, its name makes it sounds like an accessory to our last system, and it costs almost twice as much!"

Microsoft: "Our new console is still HD, does a bunch of things you can already do on your computer, features a gimmicky device that doesn't have any good game support despite being out for years now, launches with almost entirely games that are already out on older systems, prevents you from playing used games or from playing offline, and is the most expensive console in years!"

Sony: "No changes. It's just more PlayStation. It's prettier. You know you'll buy one eventually, anyway, because the other guys suck."

Now that new exclusive titles are coming out, there will start to be some buy-in. But it's not because the consoles are anything to brag about, it's because you need them to play the new games. Almost nothing was announced at E3 that couldn't have been made last-gen, and if they did, still no one would buy the new consoles.

See, the problem is that they've basically caught up. There isn't currently much more to add to a console other than larger graphical capabilities. Music is now really high quality and so is everything else. All they can do is just make things only even better quality in that regard. So really it entirely depends on good games by this point.

Honestly, though. That game only needed the DS game and the Wii game. Most people I know including myself are just bored with it. Honestly I don't even see how you make a sequel to it. It was what it was. NSMB and NSMB Wii were both really great games. That's all that was needed. That concept is an easy one to "drive into the ground"

NSMBU is an okay enough improvement over NSMBWii (Better art direction, slightly better music (still bad though), better resolution, some different ideas (Baby Yoshi, GamePad 5th player, etc)), but it wasn't "launch a new console with it" worthy. They also launched NSMB2, though on the 3DS, near the same time, and that game is pretty bad/same as NSMBWii but with a dumb coin mechanic. I think launching NSMB2 near NSMBU was a bad idea. NSMBU is still a pretty fun game, just not "I'm going to buy a Wii U for this" material

So, Nintendo keeps talking about possibly doing one of two styles of Metroid, maybe both? They'd like to do another 2D Metroid, and another Prime style Metroid. But other than talking about thats what they like to do, no confirmation on if they are actually developing such tittles, dates, platforms, etc. So... not super detailed news but hey, at least they talked about it.

Still can't wait to see what they do with Star Fox (please be a proper game!). They have confirmed it can be played co-op, as one player as the Pilot on screen, and a 2nd player being in the cockpit aiming guns using the GamePad.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Yeah, the NSMBU "killer" (it still sold quite a bit) was NSMB2 because it made NSMBU feel a lot less special and it was also not received very well, which built some bitterness towards the NSMB brand. NSMBU was actually very good and introduced new stuff, but I can't believe they recycled the world themes, the music and the art style.

I hope that after Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, the NSMB team feels challenged to do something new and interesting.

I really think they should take some cues from Sonic Generations on how to make the 2D style of the series work. It doesn't even have to be multiple paths, just how well all the layers mesh and everything. I know the system could handle it with ease. Cause right now it's basically just 2 layers: the ground and the background. I'd understand if this was 15 years ago, but if you have the power then use it!