Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/ - Today and tomorrow are your last day to take advantage of this!

If you've been buying anything on the eShop on your 32gb Wii U in the last few months at all, go here and log in with your Club Nintendo account to see how many points you earned. The promotion ends at midnight on New Years, and you get reward cards in 500 point sets, so if you're, say, 30 points away from another $5 in eShop credit, you should buy some random cheap game on there right now to make sure you get dat money.

Despite only having had my Wii U for a month now, I had $15 in credit sitting there that I just redeemed. I'm pretty pleased.

Dang, you've been buying a LOT of stuff to get $15 in credit in a month. I've barely managed to get $5.

Be careful what you purchase though - even though 32gb is a lot of space in theory, some of the larger titles may require several gigs of data. Hell, the eShop says that Smash Bros. takes up about 15gb of storage (if you're on a laptop, you can check download size by viewing the "buy digital" page for the game). In comparison, MK8 is a little under a third that size. Getting two or three massive titles will make you run out fast, which is mainly why I've held off on purchasing Smash through the eShop.

Edited by Anorax

Dang, you've been buying a LOT of stuff to get $15 in credit in a month. I've barely managed to get $5.

Be careful what you purchase though - even though 32gb is a lot of space in theory, some of the larger titles may require several gigs of data. Hell, the eShop says that Smash Bros. takes up about 15gb of storage (if you're on a laptop, you can check download size by viewing the "buy digital" page for the game). In comparison, MK8 is a little under a third that size. Getting two or three massive titles will make you run out fast, which is mainly why I've held off on purchasing Smash through the eShop.

Man, this is me we're talking about, of course I had an external hard drive lying around to give up solely for Wii U usage. XD

Though most of what I've bought to date has been Virtual Console and smaller sized eShop games anyways. The only full size thing I've downloaded was Wonderful 101. MK8, Smash, DKC: Tropical Freeze, SM 3D World, and Hyrule Warriors are all on physical disc.

Yeah, I'm also late to the Shovel Knight party. I've only had a Wii U for almost a month now. Used almost all my remaining funds from Christmas eShop cards today getting Shantae and Legend of Zelda Minish Cap downloads so I should have enough points now to be able to get $5 back.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Nintendo Direct has some interesting tidbits that I will list here.

- Wii games are going to be available for download on WiiU, with additional gamepad support. So far they've announced Mario Galaxy 2, Punch-Out!!, and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Galaxy 2 is available right now, even.

- Tingle and Young Link are the new playable characters in Hyrule Warriors. Skull Kid is a costume. Poor guy.

- Splatoon has a May release date.

- Namco is developing some kind of online multiplayer dungeon crawler currently called Project Treasure. Available "soon", and will be F2P. We'll see how that works.

- Xenoblade Chronicles X got a new trailer. It'll be out sometime this year. Probably for Christmas for NA.

There was also a bunch of stuff for 3DS, including Project STEAM, Majora's Mask, Monhun 4, etc. Oh, and a new Fire Emblem.

the whole Wii games on Wii U is kind of lame. I don't usually bash Nintendo but it's just really underwhelming. You can already put Wii games in the Wii U; just having the ability to play it on the gamepad doesn't do anything for me.

What they really needed to do was add download support for GameCube games. I don't know why they didn't do that.

Anyone else finding that game stores have very little support for the Wii U? I go to my local stores and their Wii U game collection is tiny compared to every other console.

I actually haven't found this, no. There's certain select titles that I almost never see, like Wonderful 101, but most of the best selling games are pretty frequent around here.

Precisely. You don't know why they didn't do that. So you are ill-informed to whine about it.

Listen, I've got no issue with the Wii games for digital download. All I'm saying is it just feels a little like a waste when the only good thing about it is its discounted price. I've got plenty of those games for my Wii already and I think there's only a limited amount of people that actually care about the gamepad. It just seems like making GameCube games available either in replacement of that or in addition to that would be a good move for them and seems to just make more sense.

Heck, GameCube games on the gamepad would be far more interesting, but maybe that's just me.

Anyone else finding that game stores have very little support for the Wii U? I go to my local stores and their Wii U game collection is tiny compared to every other console.

Because no one cares about Nintendo. It's not "cool" or whatever. The "hip" stuff is Xbone and PS4. But there also are only a few really great titles for the Wii U right now, but more are coming. Nevertheless, it seems like places like GameStop have intentionally been emphasizing on Microsoft and Sony stuff for the past 7-ish years or probably longer. But also, for the record, I hate GameStop. I usually get all my stuff online now on Amazon or something.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

I totally agree that Nintendo should add GameCube games to the Virtual Console. It totally makes sense for them to do that. But I'm not going to be mad about this news because it isn't that.

Some Wii games are hard to find, and are often too expensive to be worth buying, so that's why I haven't played games like the Prime Trilogy yet. But now I can, at some pretty affordable prices too. Granted, the same can be said for GameCube games, and I still believe that they should do that. But if I can get previously rare Wii games at $10 or $20, I'm in no way complaining.

Also, the European Direct had some other interesting information about this.

They also got Galaxy 2 today, and are getting the Prime Trilogy on the 29th, but the game that they are getting on the 22nd is Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Plus, the European Direct announced 4 other games that will eventually be ported to their eShop, being Punch Out (the US's third game), Kirby's Adventure Wii (or Kirby's Return to Dreamland in the US), Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, and Pandora's Tower.

I can only imagine, since Punch Out is in their later group, that the other four games not mentioned in our Direct will be among the next games to be ported.

Holy shit is virt an amazing composer.

About two(?) weeks ago, I bought Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. The game was awesome, had a great storyline, and that music!

I still have the OST stuck in my head, and I haven't played it well over a week. If you haven't yet, play the game. The gameplay is beautiful and the music just adds to the magic. I feel like that should be a joke.

Yeah. Bear in mind these are not remasters, though. They are straight ports with gamepad controller support.

Wait, aren't there several elements of the Galaxy series that rely on using Wii Remote controls, such as collecting star bits? Or did they port that to the game pad so you can use touch?

Edited by Anorax

I really hope that Nintendo is able to keep Amiibo stocks regularly available going forward if they want to make good on their gambit of implementing Amiibo functionality in a lot of their games going forward. I haven't been able to give it a shot as of yet, but the Smash Bros. 4 functionality doesn't seem crazy appealing to me as much as the possible stuff they could do with future games like the newly announced Fire Emblem for 3DS and Zelda WiiU. Finding Link and Zelda isn't that hard, but Marth, Ike, Lucina and Robin? All gone(including preorders for the latter 3).

I'm really interested in what Amiibo can do and am glad it's turned out to be a huge cash cow for them, but they gotta get this stuff nailed down!

I really hope you're being sarcastic, because otherwise that'd be ridiculous. Why am I even replying to this, of course you're being sarcastic!

Oh. I checked and you can already do that with Wii discs. I haven't done it before. :P

Here, I did some googling and came up with this: "Some of the Wii games that were compatible with the Wii Classic Controller can be played using only the Wii U GamePad, too."

So, still no Galaxy 2 on gamepad.

the whole Wii games on Wii U is kind of lame. I don't usually bash Nintendo but it's just really underwhelming. You can already put Wii games in the Wii U; just having the ability to play it on the gamepad doesn't do anything for me.

What they really needed to do was add download support for GameCube games. I don't know why they didn't do that.

Why is it overwhelming?

It's like Sony letting you download past titles from PS2 to PS4. You can't assume everyone has every old Wii game or that they can still buy a disc for a decent price. Metroid Prime Trilogy is impossible to find for a decent price and they're releasing it for $10! Besides, digital copies are awesome :mrgreen:

Only bummer for me is no Miiverse support. I'd really love it if they patch that.

I agree about Gamecube support by the way. But if they can boot Wii discs with this new method, then they can surely boot GCN discs too. I wonder if they are avoiding it because of the L-R triggers?