Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

So, Ryu and the rest of the crazy Smash DLC.  And now Earthbound Beginnings.  Yes, the first official English translation of Mother / Earthbound Zero.

I'm used to seeing Nintendo announce future games.  Now they're just like "Hey ya'll.  You can download this stuff right now."

OMG I don't know what to do.  They haven't even shown us Star Fox yet.  I am excite.  Who else is excite?

• 2 months later...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/pokemon_brawler_pokken_tournament_coming_to_wii_u_early_next_year

The Wii U is getting that Pokemon/Tekken crossover fighting game next year.  I'm not a huge Pokemon fan as I was already getting a bit old when I heard about it, but I know there are lots of hardcore fans on here, and it looks like a lot of fun regardless.

Z on GC controller, if I remember correctly, Nintendo was trying to cheap it out with the GC controller by not only not having extra triggers at the top which had become standard (they wanted just L/R triggers), but also they were even contemplating not having the classic iconic d-pad, their own major contribution to the gaming world. all to save some money on the controller (just a few cents!). In the end, they caved in to pressure and added the dpad (probably one of the worst dpads on a Nintendo console though), and gave the fans the "Z-trigger" they loved so much with the N64 by adding an uncomfortable awkwardly placed button. Worst parts of the controller :/

Idk, I thought the Z-button on the GCN controller was placed well, especially as controllers that came after it have similar conventions ("bumper" shoulder buttons alongside shoulder triggers). My problem with it was that the design was asymmetrical, but at least the controller wasn't as baffling as the N64 one.

:<

I recently bought Hyrule Warriors. It is an amazing game. Although I should grind a bit more before progressing, I think the idea behind the aesthetics of the game are innovative and enjoyable. (=

I been addicted to that over Super Mario 3D Worlds and Smash which are equally as enjoyable.

:<

• 2 weeks later...

My resistance to this system is breaking down. I'm finding myself more and more interested in this console as time goes on, but the expense of a new one borders on prohibitive for me to find use. If I were to get one, I'd want one used/preowned/refurbished/whatever, but then there's the vexation of that damn $150 tablet controller.

Can you use the Wii U without the tablet controller? I read it has existing function with the original Wii remote and classic controller (the second version one they made for the original Wii), would I be able to use these without having to buy expensive new controllers?

And yes, I googled around and could not find specific, satisfying answers for my inquiry. That's why I'm asking here.

While the Gamepad is required for some initial startup, a lot of games can be played without it.  You can boot up the Wii U with the Gamepad and start a game right from the quick launch screen without having to even go through the main menu, then proceed to use a different compatible controller.  The Wii classic controller can be used for several games, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Donkey Kong being among them (There's plenty more).  This way your Gamepad wont even see much use so its chance of breaking is even lower.  I've moved houses a few times and taken mine places and used it for plenty of games and it has yet to malfunction on me personally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to know, for some reason my copy of Mario Kart 8 is messed up and doesn't like reading from the disc. Only having access to the DLC stages isn't much variety.

That really sucks.  Have you tried contacting Nintendo for a replacement disc?  I'm not sure if they would or not, but it's worth a shot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So.... amiibo Festival.

No surprise it's getting blasted by reviews, but I picked it up last week and have been having a pleasant time with it. Playing the board and other minigames earns you points towards tickets, which can then be spent outfitting the board with stuff that can add new routes and change some events. Island Survival is the best minigame by far, but the quiz is definitely a fun challenge. The rest are kind of weird or one-note.

That all said, one thing must be made clear: amiibo Festival is not for people unwilling to shell out some extra dough for additional cards and figurines. The game's variety and flavour are improved exponentially with some different villagers. Although the board game requires just one amiibo to play, any players not using amiibo are at a disadvantage. See, if you have a figurine, you get +1 Happiness for every die you roll. Not so for generic villagers. That means at least 30 additional points for amiibo-users every game. Plus, if you don't use figurines, getting points for tickets may be really slow-going.

So, the cynical side of me says the game was a bare-minimum effort designed to generate as much revenue through cards and figurines as possible. That said, I really think they got the feel of Animal Crossing down pat in this game. The board game is laid-back fun, island survival is a fascinating mode, and the quiz has good variety. There's just not enough as it is right now. Overall, unless you REALLY want some more AC, I can't give this a recommendation to buy. If you want the figurines, buy the figurines, and don't fear you're missing out on anything essential by not having this game.