Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

Well you'll get no argument from me about their handheld strategy. I can't get enough of my 3DS, after all. I can pretty much only speak for myself on this one, but I absolutely hate(hate hate HATE, even) having to own more than one console if I want to get a full spectrum of the games I want to play. It's just way too much clutter, wires, controllers, cases/carts, etc.

It'd be great if Nintendo could go back to pretty much being the defacto brand to own in a person's house a la Super NES(yes yes, the Genesis was a thing too, but let's not kid ourselves).

It'd be great if Nintendo could go back to pretty much being the defacto brand to own in a person's house a la Super NES(yes yes, the Genesis was a thing too, but let's not kid ourselves).

I had a Genesis and no SNES :< Played dat bad boy every day, I still play it more than anything!

Of course all this Wii U news makes me wish more and more that I could afford to get a Wii U. Yarn Yoshi looks absolutely charming, the new Xeno game looks so crisp and awesome, E3 this year will no doubt be exciting on Nintendo's end.

Perhaps when the semester is up and money starts rolling in I'll be able to pick one up. I may try to hold out for a price drop (though if its anything like the Wii that will take a few years :<)

In regard to this new Xenoblade.. can i just note that if they put it in a Nintendo Direct that's IN ENGLISH, specifically for the Americas/Europe, that the head of the company (who can't speak english very well at all, but tries very hard for us to read the script which i appreciate) is specifically showing you a trailer for, it's proooobably coming to the US.

Edited by The Derrit

In regard to this new Xenoblade.. can i just note that if they put it in a Nintendo Direct that's IN ENGLISH, specifically for the Americas/Europe, that the head of the company (who can't speak english very well at all, but tries very hard for us to read the script which i appreciate) is specifically showing you a trailer for, it's proooobably coming to the US.

That's encouraging. People had to get a petition together and pester Square-Enix about releasing Xenoblade (and Last Story) in english. I guess they remember us over in North America and how we still love Xeno games.

On that note, Xenogears recently turned 15. Is there anything special anybody is doing for that? I know there was some free-to-download artbook a group was doing, but I'm kind of curious if anybody was doing an album.

That's encouraging. People had to get a petition together and pester Square-Enix about releasing Xenoblade (and Last Story) in english. I guess they remember us over in North America and how we still love Xeno games.

On that note, Xenogears recently turned 15. Is there anything special anybody is doing for that? I know there was some free-to-download artbook a group was doing, but I'm kind of curious if anybody was doing an album.

Xenoblade has nothing to do with Xenogears actually. It's made by Monolithsoft, not Square Enix.

Yeah, don't people remember that the original name for Xenoblade was Monado? They only changed it since Takahashi was the director and it just rolls off the tongue easier, but it has no connection whatsoever to the Xeno series.

Even more frustrating is that people in the games media have made this mistake and base their judgements on that false premise.

I'm very excited for HD Wind Waker. From the looks of it, they're improving character models and everything. It definitelly has a different visual style going on, but Aonuma said as much in his presentation. Besides, what's wrong with it being different? Like you all said, the original WW has visually aged superbly, so replaying it would be a pleasure. I'm more excited about what 'touch ups' they'll be making to the game.

Also of interest, Aonuma said they were testing out different Zelda art styles when trying to decide what the next Zelda should look like. He's also said it won't look like that tech demo. So, we know that (assuming it's not a sequel) it will not look like Twilight Princess (the tech demo) or Wind Waker (since they're using it for something else). What does that leave?

I want a photo-realistic Zelda. Something like Skyrim's graphical style. They tried with Twilight Princess, but Nintendo Wii. (:P)

That would be gorgeous.

I don't see how that'd be great at all. Why wouldn't you just play Skyrim instead then? You already have that game. Even Twilight Princess had a very stylized look about it, and so has almost every Zelda game out there. It's kind of one of Zelda's things.

I would say that I'm glad they're trying to shake up the conventions of what a Zelda game should be. They sort of started doing that with Skyward Sword, so I know they're capable of it. If I don't have a Wii U before then, I'll probably get one right when it happens.

I'd imagine that the controls are going to be a combination of Wiimotion+ along with a multiplayer component probably using the Wii U Gamepad.

Interesting instead of doing the lazy HD update thing everybody does, Nintendo is going a little further. Wonder if any other games will get this treatment? I'm excited to see how the Wind Waker remake turns out. The only thing I think that kinda is a bummer is it looks less cel shaded than the original rather than improved cel shading.

The whole "out of order dungeon" thing ironically sounds like the very first Zelda, which could make an interesting modern 3D remake. Wonder if they going to go that route at all, or if they are leaning more towards the "open world" style that is all the rage these days

Looks like this years E3 will be rather interesting, with Nintendo showing off lots of Wii U games, and possible PS4/Orbis and Xbox 720/Infinity/8/Durango rumored to be popping their heads up.

Edited by Crowbar Man

I would say that I'm glad they're trying to shake up the conventions of what a Zelda game should be. They sort of started doing that with Skyward Sword, so I know they're capable of it. If I don't have a Wii U before then, I'll probably get one right when it happens.

I don't know why everyone is excited for this. Has Aounuma ever lived up to the promise of "changing the Zelda formula in a meaningful way"?

I wish they'd make a more traditional Zelda instead. One without a 3 hour tutorial at the beginning like EVERY ZELDA GAME FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS.

I wish they'd make a more traditional Zelda instead. One without a 3 hour tutorial at the beginning like EVERY ZELDA GAME FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS.

Maybe they do that so it's accessible to newer generations of gamers? Even so I wish they'd have a "seasoned warrior" mode that lets you skip it.

Also OoT, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask (very much so) and to a small extent Twilight were pretty bold changes to the formula. You don't want to stray too far because then you'll lose what made LoZ in the first place. Then you'll have those idiots that complained about Nuts and Bolts make the same comments about Zelda.

I dunno about you guys but the part about them making the dungeons not linear and 'bringing the series 'back to the basics' immediately puts the first Zelda game to mind. I'd love to explore a section of the overworld early and beat the third dungeon before the first. I suppose that would make the game's progression less dependent on story, but whatever. Makes me think of Zelda 2 too.

Please watch this and sign the petition. It may not affect you personally but nintendo need to know they shouldn't screw their customers over

The name 50hz is misleading, its not the refresh rate i'm complaining about but the way the gameplay itself has been nerfed.

Seriously, i want my money back.

Maybe they do that so it's accessible to newer generations of gamers? Even so I wish they'd have a "seasoned warrior" mode that lets you skip it.

Nothing says accessibility like a big tutorial

I don't remember reading a single manual for any of the NES games I had, putting a massive amount of text instructions into the game isn't making the game more accessible for younger generations, if I had played SS when I was 4 instead of LoZ I would have hurled the wii remote at the wall at some point during Fi's droning

Please watch this and sign the petition. It may not affect you personally but nintendo need to know they shouldn't screw their customers over

The name 50hz is misleading, its not the refresh rate i'm complaining about but the way the gameplay itself has been nerfed.

Seriously, i want my money back.

Done.

Also the music takes a hit with the slower speed as well. :C

Done.

Also the music takes a hit with the slower speed as well. :C

I should have highlighted that before.

The speed of ALL music in these games is being slowed down by 17.5 %. Musicians, imagine someone taking everything you'd worked on, and turning the tempo down on everything regardless.

They do this to music, Animation, Speed of movement, everything.

To be honest I don't care about the 'actual' refresh rate, and I only marginally care about the bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

So when people moan about the 50hz PAL thing, I can see why some people on the net are going 'let is rest, it's not a big deal'.

If it was JUST the fact the game is running at 50hz, I'd agree.

The fact is the virtual console is porting a damaged product, and whilst this purchase was only 30p, if they get away with it they WILL be charging full price for future releases.

So please, even if your not on a PAL system so this wont bother you, take a moment to consider it, and visit the link I posted before.

I've heard people talking about PAL CRT TVs and how Nintendo can't discriminate. The fact is For over 15 years MOST CRT TVs are capable of displaying at 60Hz, ALL HDMI Tvs are capable of it, and as the Wii U ships with ONLY a HDMI cable, PAL CRT TVs are already obsolete for the system.

With that taken into account there is no reason for Nintendo to peddle damaged goods.

Because that's what this is: damaged goods.