Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

i like how everyone presumes that nintendo's just going to release NSMB games ad nauseam when they've already said they're keeping it to one per system

guess what

until nintendo releases a new system, there won't be a new NSMB game. this new mario game will likely be a 3D one

and those are the ones that miyamoto's actively involved in

(this is directed at ocre, because Mirby came in and interrupted me ^_^)

Well if they never did release those games for the Wii U, then it would be obvious as anything that no one would go get the system.

I personally believe Nintendo is still holding their ground because of their own games, not because of third-party developers or their console. Because Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Metroid are some of the best-selling video game franchises of all time, and also the fact they are now partnering with SEGA and now have Sonic (another one of the best-selling franchises of all time), they are still able to be successful. If they were to start putting Mario or Pokemon or something onto XBox or PS3 or something, I can almost assure you that their consoles would bomb and they would probably stop making them.

What I'm finding hilarious is the amount of debate happening over a stupid game console. For crying out loud, it's a freaking game console.

Because everybody and their dog wants Nintendo to deliver what they expect out of X360 and PS3 and that's not what Nintendo does. EVER. And they're butthurt about that.

Because everybody and their dog wants Nintendo to deliver what they expect out of X360 and PS3 and that's not what Nintendo does. EVER. And they're butthurt about that.

And now they're butthurt about Sonic having a few exclusive games to Nintendo. It's the Bayonetta 2 scenario all over again.

What I'm finding hilarious is the amount of debate happening over a stupid game console. For crying out loud, it's a freaking game console.

Bro being in the sonic fanbase ive spent all day arguing with sonicfans about the wiiu.

sure my opinion of not wanting a wiiu for one or 2 games not withstanding. ive had to argue with a guy that started a petition to get the exclusivity lapsed.

needless to say i destroyed the arguement entirely with spouting the truth at them.

sonic fans could argue over anything and sometimes nothing.

anything to gain that "true fan" status that no one cares about and doesnt exist anyway.

Speaking of EA... Have some lovely tweets that (former?) Senior SE and Architect of EA Games Bob Summerwill tweeted earlier today (and promptly removed along with any indication that he is affiliated with EA Games)

ngjiCSq.png

X9LtDTh.png

Nintendo are still operating like it's 1990. They should have "done a Sega" and offered Mario/Zelda as PS4/Durango exclusives

It is an utterly intentional decision to focus our resources on markets which actually matter ... like mobile, and Gen4.

Yep, we've got plenty of problems, but WiiU isn't where that family/casual market is. It's on mobile/tablet now!

Source

Now all I have to say is...

Gen4 of consoles was the 16-bit era. You know, SNES, Genesis, etc.

Which EA actually DID support Nintendo during.

So not only does he hate the Wii U, but he also is a complete moron. Consoles didn't begin with the PS1, dumbass.

Something that I've taken away from the whole EA fiasco is this:

The Frostbite Engine is possibly a grossly inefficient to not run on Wii U (yet they've got one running on Tablets? LOL). EA is betting the farm on the Frostbite engine to have it on almost all of it's upcoming games, and if those games/engine fail, they're going to be put into very dire straits.

The last EA game that I ever played or enjoyed was the first Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge (ME 2 was alright, didn't bother with 3). I understand that's not good for a publisher to not support the system, but I will laugh HARD if Nintendo coasts along without them.

The fanboy in me says this is EA attempting sabotoage to try and get other companies to follow suit (not that they have to twist their arm to do it). But obviously that sounds far too ridiculous to be real.

at the very least something that doesn't take ANY time to figure out is that EA gets nothing out of working with nintendo because they a) put out bad ports of average games and call it '3rd party support' which everyone subsequently ignores/doesn't buy, and B) they make a killing off of yearly releases of shooters/sports franchises etc. on xbox and ps3 and would rather just do that indefinitely.

S\\But obviously that sounds far too ridiculous to be real.

I've thought the same thing, and came to the conclusion that it's not only ridiculous, but also childish and selfish as well.

Really, EA is basically goin' BAWWW WE DON'T LIKE THE WII U TAKE IT AWAY WE DON'T WANNA SEE IT ANYMORE BAWWW

or somethin' like that

This should make you feel better:

*subscrib'd*

The fact that EA is banking on them being taken seriously (I don't care what console you have, they're a fucking joke at presentations) is really interesting. I mean, yeah they make money but honestly, what are they making money on? Every year's Madden. They could probably just keep regurgitating sports games and they'd be okay, but that doesn't mean people won't get tired of it sooner or later (what's that, that's why people are hating on Nintendo? GASP).

Edited by Irish
had to be relevant to the topic

at the very least something that doesn't take ANY time to figure out is that EA gets nothing out of working with nintendo because they a) put out bad ports of average games and call it '3rd party support' which everyone subsequently ignores/doesn't buy, and B) they make a killing off of yearly releases of shooters/sports franchises etc. on xbox and ps3 and would rather just do that indefinitely.

Works for Activision.

Call of Duty is the best selling game franchise ever after all.

Brandon/Irish:

Well there you go, there is a pretty large difference in clarity just between Composite/480i and Component/480p, let alone when you add HDMI and upscaling into the mix. Brandon: Go pop in the standard AV cables into the Wii instead of using component. If you still can't say you see a difference, you may need glasses (or better ones) big time :/

Also sorry about the wrong gender identification Irish! Didn't mean anything about it, I just don't ever pay attention to real names / profile info.

Brandon: Super Metroid not being a good game? Not being worth 32 cents? Brandon, you really wont find anybody who shares that opinion, and probably for good reason. Nothing to do with nostalgia that game is seriously near perfect in design.

Also, yes, the Wii U is mostly for Nintendo developed games (and maybe the off chance a 3rd party does something fun with it). If you didn't buy the Wii U for Nintendo's games... you did make a pretty bad purchasing decision.

Especially if you bought it AFTER the reviews for all the 3rd party games wound up performing poorer than the 360/PS3. Like most recent Nintendo consoles, you pretty much buy it for Nintendo's games, and whatever features/gimmicks that it features.

As far as the Wii U's Current Situation

Its disappointing to see the Wii U floundering so much, but it looks like Nintendo is definitely trying to turn the situation around this year. Here is hoping they really wow us with the next (real) Mario game, because if the next Mario doesn't capture the same magic that Galaxy managed to rekindle, I don't think they'll be able to pull themselves out of this rut. But even outside of the next Mario they do have a pretty interesting line up of games coming out this year, and as soon as they build up a small library of excellent games (and the eventual price drop) then their situation should improve.

I think it is pretty damn cool of them to have a "mini E3" at Best Buy, and they will still have their awesome Nintendo Direct. Nintendo may do things very strange and awkward/backward sometimes but they still come out with some neat ideas/surprises every now and then! Hopefully they will have some more secret goodies to reveal!

EA not making games isn't a big deal IMO: They don't make interesting games in the first place. They weren't going to make something different than whats already out there on PS3/360 so what would be the advantage as a gamer to buy an EA product if they are missing features / aren't even optimized for the Wii U anyways?

Even if 3rd a party support completely dries out (which probably won't happen), and Nintendo is the only one making games, as long as they still have a good lineup of games what does it matter in the end? As long as the Wii U isn't your only console (which is pretty late in the game if you don't have 360/PS3) you can play all those games on other consoles anyways. Besides, once the installed base of Wii U grows, 3rd party support should start picking up again

In the end Wii U is not a good primary console, but it eventually make an awesome extra 2nd/3rd/etc console if you like Nintendo's stuff. Nintendo just needs to get in gear making those games!

The Sonic game:

Time to start the Sonic excitement/disappointment cycle again :/ Not getting my hopes up unless Nintendo has some direct involvement (sounds like they may just be publisher).

Edited by Crowbar Man

This should make you feel better:

That guy nailed it. Everyone needs to see that video. Good grief.

The only reason I still haven't bought one is because I'm simply waiting for the new Mario and Zelda games.

Seriously though, why are we complaining so much about Nintendo? Why are so many people just complaining about them? It's the same with SEGA. What is wrong? Sure, some Sonic games have been crap in the past, but why are we complaining over every little problem?

Geesh.

EA not making games for Wii U is a big deal. Wii U needs all the new games it can get, and not just 3rd party ports, which is what 90% of the Wii U library is... that, and shovelware already. :-/

I got a Wii U because it actually is an amazing system, and it has a lot of potential, but it is not getting the software OR the support to back it up or put it to use. It's good that I can play Wii games on it (even if they don't look better!) but they should have waited to launch the console until they had some games done for it. Like that new Zelda they showed off, or even the Wind Waker remake. Why not have Pikmin 3 and all the stuff they're teasing right now ready for launch? Nothing on the latest Nintendo Direct was really appealing to me. Resident Evil is on PC.

Wii U is a good system and has potential but it has no support, and losing EA and other third party developers is not helping. You can all say "blah blah ea sucks blah look at me i'm cool too" but EA strives on the console. They suck on PC. And they're probably one of the only developers who would have really brought something innovative to a Nintendo console... not anymore. It's sad. :cry:

Something new by an interesting developer like Shadows of the Damned, or something new from Suda51

Um. Suda51 made Shadows of the Damned.

And it's funny you should mention that specific game because its sales were disappointing (and it was multiplatform.)

As for pricing, Nintendo lets game makers set their own prices on the eShop.

Edited by ocre

Um. Suda51 made Shadows of the Damned.

I know. I said something like SotD or a new game by Suda51. But it was really an example. An example of something that will NEVER HAPPEN. That being EA publishing an interesting game from a quirky developer on the Wii U.

And it's funny you should mention that specific game because its sales were disappointing (and it was multiplatform.)

Yeah, a lot of things have disappointing sales lately, eh? :<

I for one, think Shadows of the Damned is great. I think it needed better marketing.

As for pricing, Nintendo lets game makers set their own prices on the eShop.

I was specifically thinking of New Super Mario Bros U which is (or was, I haven't checked) $60.

Yeah, a lot of things have disappointing sales lately, eh?

Weak. I already explained why sales fell short of expectations.

I was specifically thinking of New Super Mario Bros U which is (or was, I haven't checked) $60.

Why shouldn't Nintendo charge the industry-standard price for a quality videogame?

As for EA not ever delivering any 'interesting' titles from a "quirky developer", I also explained in my post how they DID treat the Wii U when they WERE supporting it. They treated Wii U owners like a 2nd thought. If EA had released a complete Mass Effect Trilogy on Wii U like they did for all the other systems and it had bombed, I wouldn't blame EA for pulling support, but their behavior just seems very self-sabotaging.

Edited by ocre