*NO* Battletoads (GB) 'Funky Frozen'

djpretzel

Hey,

I just found your site the other day, and I think it's great! Keep up the good work.

* Contact Info

o Simon Hutchinson

o simon@cosmiccompositions.com

o www.cosmiccompositions.com

* ReMix Info

o Level 3

o comment: "I've always loved this tune.I used to just play to this level and then put the Gameboy down so I could just bop to it.

My remix throws in some new harmonies and tries to flesh out the instruments a bit more. I hope you enjoy it"

Thanks,

-Simon

"Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher"

Simon Hutchinson

Marusen Jutaku Higashi 1

Sakuramachi 1-423

Hanamaki, Iwate, 025-0084

(0198) 22.2927

This song sounds really empty the whole time. Not much in the way of meshing and harmonic support. Percussion is also pretty weak, and doesn't really interact much with what's going on. There are a lot of dead spots in this song where nothing but percussion is there for a few beats; needs fills!

Not much energy. Needs more.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/btoads.zip - Track 14

DAYUM, that soundtrack has some catchy shit on there. Track 5 is sweet. You remixers, dammit, someone remix the stuff from here.

Frankly, I thought this was pretty cool for what it was. Very minimalist, with a simple but catchy groove. Don't really see why Binnie was crapping on it. Too bad this was basically just a sound upgrade though. I heard the additional harmonies here, but overall the expansion was lacking and 100% of the fact that I like it is because the source tune KICKS ASS!

I actually couldn't find the source tune in the GBS for a while, but listening to how this sounded the first few times, one could immediately tell this was gonna be very close to the original.

Like both of my fellow Js have said, you need to provide more here. Beef up the percussion and let it mesh tighter with the track here. All the sounds need more texture, and the track needs background activity that adequately fills out the soundfield. What you have in place right now be funky 'n shit, but it's practically all lifted straight from the original and ultimately sparse nonetheless. Just because the source was like that doesn't mean you can't improve upon it substantially.

That crazy bullshit at 2:58...nah, don't do that. It was a pretty jarring way to bring that synth into the picture. Ease its presence into the track, THEN go batshit with it.

I'll be keeping the track, but you gotta be more. Most of this isn't even "yours" per se, as you haven't done anything meaningful with the source material. Aside from the added harmonies, this was coasting off the sweetness of the original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, sure. But at the same token, don't BARELY upgrade it and then send it here.

NO

P.S. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=suppurate = ROFL