Dead Or Alive - Kasumi

ShadowBlade

I've got so many ideas for remixes and can't seem to stick with just one =/

http://tindeck.com/listen/gqxq

This is a work in progress of Kasumi's theme from DOA 2. I thought a more mellow version would be a sweet idea. I'll pick up the guitar tomorrow and start jamming some solos and some sections to the song.

Before I do that, how is this so far?

DVS Saxophone is a pain to try and humanize, but you'll have to try and smooth it out, cuz it sounds fairly mechanical and out of place. The piano/bass combo's were really nice though, and the beat isnt bad. I would suggest maybe changing that lead. The saxophone just doesn't seem to fit. Some nice synth would go good there methinks.

DVS Saxophone is a pain to try and humanize, but you'll have to try and smooth it out, cuz it sounds fairly mechanical and out of place. The piano/bass combo's were really nice though, and the beat isnt bad. I would suggest maybe changing that lead. The saxophone just doesn't seem to fit. Some nice synth would go good there methinks.

Thanks for the feedback.

I totally forgot about this song lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey what you have sir is a really good mix. I can see myself listening to this driving down a highway. I disagree with CJthemusicdude about the sax I think it suits the track well but thats me. It's certainly is a different take on kasumi's theme forsure. I like how you started off the song with a basic drum beat and piano and then you bring in the sax and I believe it's the soprano if I'm not mistaken. my favourite kind of sax. there are parts that I do disagree with though and sadly I don't have a time signature for you but it's around your course I think some of the notes are too high for the sax and sound like it's too whiny so I suggest dropping it a key or 2 same with your short notes hopefully you know what I'm talking about (the bud it boop... bud it boop). Also this is a my opinion suggestion, but you have a good set up in there to put a sax solo and I think it would make the song more epic. You have a great mix sir keep working at it and I really hope to see it up on the site.

Cheers

Hey what you have sir is a really good mix. I can see myself listening to this driving down a highway. I disagree with CJthemusicdude about the sax I think it suits the track well but thats me. It's certainly is a different take on kasumi's theme forsure. I like how you started off the song with a basic drum beat and piano and then you bring in the sax and I believe it's the soprano if I'm not mistaken. my favourite kind of sax. there are parts that I do disagree with though and sadly I don't have a time signature for you but it's around your course I think some of the notes are too high for the sax and sound like it's too whiny so I suggest dropping it a key or 2 same with your short notes hopefully you know what I'm talking about (the bud it boop... bud it boop). Also this is a my opinion suggestion, but you have a good set up in there to put a sax solo and I think it would make the song more epic. You have a great mix sir keep working at it and I really hope to see it up on the site.

Cheers

Thanks a ton! Wow, I should really get back to this song lol. I agree you are right about the sax being too high. I was going to do a guitar solo as well.

I'll get back to workin' on this and I have definitely taken you guys' opinions on it into strong consideration.

CJ disliked the sax, you loved it. Seems as though this is something people will be "on the fence about". Well, even if the Sax does sound mechanical....it's the best I can do though. I don't know of any real sax players. I'm just a guitarist/occasional keyboardist. In my opinion, I don't think a synth lead would fit too well with the rest of the song. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Bottom line here, I'll see what I can do lol.

Great but i say the kick should be punchy!

Okay, I'll try to use a kick with more punch than Captain Falcon's fists. Lol that's hilarious. "Give that kick more punch." Then again I'm easily amused. Btw, I also started a really bitchin' Hard Rock/Shredding/Symphonic/Electronic remix of a Castlevania tune that just doesn't get enough love.

So.......much.......music.

Okay, I'll try to use a kick with more punch than Captain Falcon's fists. Lol that's hilarious. "Give that kick more punch." Then again I'm easily amused. Btw, I also started a really bitchin' Hard Rock/Shredding/Symphonic/Electronic remix of a Castlevania tune that just doesn't get enough love.

So.......much.......music.

why dont you just make that same kick louder then the others?

have it thumping in the 5 db range

You have a lot of sub bass goin on here. I'm listening on headphones, but it sounds like I'm listening on a car stereo. I think the main problem is the kick drum, just some light compression and an EQ cut of the below 40 HZ should do the trick.

Yeah I agree the sax fits but it's very fake sounding. It's mostly when you do the quicker notes, vary the velocities in those areas.

The sax could also use some more reverb. If you don't like your sax, go to http://soundfonts.darkesword.com and pick the Tenor one on here. I think it would fit the soundscape better.

It sounds to me like the pad is panned left, is that true? I don't suggest it, or at least not as much as it is now, put it a little more towards the center (maybe stereo separation would help) and boost the mid high frequencies (only a little bit, nothing too drastic). Do it BEFORE it gets reverb'd in your FX chain, though. xD

Other than that, it's got a cool groove. Can't comment on arrangement yet, too early in the morning, but this is sounding good. :nicework:

You have a lot of sub bass goin on here. I'm listening on headphones, but it sounds like I'm listening on a car stereo. I think the main problem is the kick drum, just some light compression and an EQ cut of the below 40 HZ should do the trick.

Yeah I agree the sax fits but it's very fake sounding. It's mostly when you do the quicker notes, vary the velocities in those areas.

The sax could also use some more reverb. If you don't like your sax, go to http://soundfonts.darkesword.com and pick the Tenor one on here. I think it would fit the soundscape better.

It sounds to me like the pad is panned left, is that true? I don't suggest it, or at least not as much as it is now, put it a little more towards the center (maybe stereo separation would help) and boost the mid high frequencies (only a little bit, nothing too drastic). Do it BEFORE it gets reverb'd in your FX chain, though. xD

Other than that, it's got a cool groove. Can't comment on arrangement yet, too early in the morning, but this is sounding good. :nicework:

Thanks man! Well currently the arrangement follows the source almost note for note. So as it stands now, it's more of just a cover. So there isn't much of a re-arrangement to comment on atm XD

I'll check out that sax, I'll fix the pad, boost the mid-highs a bit, and kill the unnecessary sub bass like you say.

I'll also make the kick louder like Sonic says too. We'll see what happens.

I ment -10db ;p

Bad advice, house production doesn't apply to everything dude.

Production is production; he is using a house kit, even so, this is electronica based, theres no reason he cant have a kick louder especially if he is sidechaning his other tracks.

and it seems your under the impression that all i do is house ;p (lol)

I ment -10db ;p

Production is production; he is using a house kit, even so, this is electronica based, theres no reason he cant have a kick louder especially if he is sidechaning his other tracks.

and it seems your under the impression that all i do is house ;p (lol)

He doesn't NEED to make it louder.

It's not inaudible, and it keeps the rhythm going. I would even go so far as too say that any louder and it'll be too loud. His kick is FINE.

And you need to get an hearing exam. There is no sidechaining here.

Quit arguing. I'll finish this mix eventually, but I've kinda lost interest in it as I'm working on better things.

Check my Dracula X Cross A Fear Remix thread if you want. I'm nearly done recording and sequencing all the different parts. I want to sub that one if possible. Continue arguing there if you want.

P.S. I was unaware until yesterday that you can actually request name changes on this site.........

He doesn't NEED to make it louder.

It's not inaudible, and it keeps the rhythm going. I would even go so far as too say that any louder and it'll be too loud. His kick is FINE.

And you need to get an hearing exam. There is no sidechaining here.

I can def her sidechaining, or some some sound conflicting with his kick and my bud right beside me can too, not that not very noticable tho but whatever, does not seriously matter

the point is im not saying a ridiculous amount of increase to his kick, just some or tiny amount more.

And how do you changes names, i want to be Air3sHedgog, my current name is to long :P

I can def her sidechaining, or some some sound conflicting with his kick and my bud right beside me can too, not that not very noticable tho but whatever, does not seriously matter

the point is im not saying a ridiculous amount of increase to his kick, just some or tiny amount more.

And how do you changes names, i want to be Air3sHedgog, my current name is to long :P

There is a small amount of sidechain. Not much but a small amount.