Contact Info:

ReMixer name: Gilrad

email address: brianh@gorge.net

userid: ?

ReMix info:

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Yoshi's Island

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Theme 3 Link to the original soundtrack:

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/sm2yoshi.rar

Well this is it, my first ReMix. To be technical, I have been working on this on and off as a midi for the past year or so, and it has only been within the last week with the purchase of a new soundcard that I could bring it into the realm of the mp3. Like what I could imagine most ReMixes end up, this started out with a general idea of a jazzy remix, and as it developed, took on it's own shape and went it's own way, into a more dixieland approach.

I always liked the original, as it had a certain energy to it. I believe I managed to keep that energy intact, despite my limitations (I am still dissatisfied with the trumpet soundfont).

Link:

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/yoshi.rsn - "Athletic BGM" (yi-13.spc)

I'm familiar with the theme from the OneUp Mushrooms' take on it, "Donut Lifts". Not a bad effort here, certainly, though, though the pacing is a little bit plodding here (tik-tik-tik, tik-tik-tik, tik-tik-tik...etc). Be sure to not run with a good arrangement idea, but then barely change it up for the duration of the mix. Nearly 4 minutes of the same thing gets boring.

Decent genre adaptation work along with some good ideas for instrumentation expansion. Samples are decently used, though the soundfonts definitely are at the low end of the quality spectrum. Piano & trumpet sound really fake, with no real humanization techniques employed.

The bass really sounds terrible at 2:24, and the muted piano & trumpet during that section was a terrible idea, as it just sounds like a straight volume cut on those instruments rather than the "players" simply playing their instruments softly.

Yep, hit the Work-in-Progress & ReMixing forums to improve your game. You've certainly got potential and a measure of creativity, so keep improving.

NO

This is 2 8 phrases looped for 3 minutes and 42 seconds.

I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

Let's get an actual arrangement going on and get out of the midi sequencer + soundfont realm and then we'll talk. Need an attempt at some kind of sound processing and more percussion than a swinging clave sample.

Some nice bass work and interesting instrumentation though. Back to the drawing board.

NO

-D