*NO* Mega Man X6 'Forest of Shadows'

djpretzel

Hello again...a new remix submission from me:

Remixer name - Corran

Real name - Bryan

Email - Iplayflute1985@hotmail.com

website - www.bands411.com/corran

User ID - I have no idea but I'm registered as Corran?

Game remixed - Megaman X6

Song remixed - Commander Yanmark's level Game info (taken from vgmix.com) - Composer: Akemi Kimura; Company: Capcom;

Platform: Playstation; Copyright: 2001

Where to find the remix: - the mix is on the front page and is entitled "Forest of Shadows."

This mix is a combonation of cool jazz, acid jazz, and electronica. The main focus of the work is me playing flute (both C Flute and Alto Flute) on the melody and also several soloes. Hope you guys enjoy, and hope the tags are right...

Thanks

Corran

I like Bryan's work a lot, and played this back on VGF45, but per the usual that I've seen with his submissions here, he simply follows the source tunes too closely and doesn't create enough rearrangement ideas on his own. This was absolutely reliant on the source tune's own structure & instrumentation in terms of its appeal, and got by here by reinstrumenting some of the elements. I like both the source tune and this mix a lot, but this mix wasn't necessarily an improvement over Akemi Kimura's "Commander Yammark Stage."

Finally some original wind material played over the source tune's beats starting at 2:17. Goes on for quite a while. Heard a reference to some other theme I can't remember at 3:15. Original stuff kept going until 3:33. Wholly original work there, and very welcome there in terms of changing things up, but so far we've gotten verbatim arrangement followed by almost entirely original freestyle work.

Going into 3:33, it was back to the same verbatim-style reinstrumentation of the original. I love the feel of the track a lot, and listen to it more often than you'd think, but I've gotta go NO. Finally some rearrangement on the winds at 4:55 until the end. WHERE WAS THAT BEFORE, BRO? [sigh] I liked when you DID branch out, Bryan, but otherwise this was just too conservative. "ReMix," not "remix."

NO

The main focus of the work is me playing flute (both C Flute and Alto Flute) on the melody and also several soloes.

That's nice, but where was the focus on the rest of the rearrangement? This isn't even an improvement over the original in sound quality, not to mention composition. Your new flute material is enjoyable, but the rest of the arrangement doesn't back it up.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I thought the same thing as the two last votes. I don't think it's as conservative as they do, but I also feel more work should or could have been done here to make it more interpretive of your own style. Awesome flute work though. But as this stands, I think this needs more expansion and personal touch with the prior suggestions already given.

NO