Building a budget gaming PC

DusK

Well you said "every other" so what was I supposed to think? >_>

Anyway, yeah, I get you now about the multipliers. I thought you meant it a different way.

Every OTHER THAN UNLOCKED is locked. Also to clarify, unlocked processors allow you to change the TURBO BOOST multipliers. Basically you decide how much your processor will ramp up to when it feels it's under full load.

Man the stars must have aligned, because I'm actually looking for a budget gaming rig setup for my friend, so I'm really glad this is up.

So I have a question, should I go with the K series for my friend (thinking the i5) to keep it's last-ability with overclocking? Or should I go for the cheeper i5, he really doesn't know much about overclocking at all.

Also, 2 hard drives, 32Gb SSD and a 1TB HDD, or a hybrid drive? And what is a good Hybrid drive to go with.

Thanks guys!

I don't care what you guys do to me... overclocking is lame and stupid and stupid and don't buy into it. It's for bored engineers. I've done it myself and regretted ever taking the time to learn how to do it the right way because any gains in performance were not noticeable. What was noticeable were the higher temperatures despite a heatsink that was as big as my graphics card.

What do you want to do with the SSD space? 32GB is enough to install your OS and that's really it. On its own, it won't hold many games either. I've never seen hybrid drives before.. how intriguing.

Nah the SSD is for OS only. And I've heard of hybrid drives, where 32gb or 64gb comes with it, but maybe I jumped the gun and just assumed they would be out by now...

Also, what's the best thing to wait for a deal on? should I wait for a sale on a preferred video card, CPU, or the mobo? I'm asking this because I'm not in any huge rush, it's something that I need to get around to in a few months.

I've done it myself and regretted ever taking the time to learn how to do it the right way because any gains in performance were not noticeable.

Ur doin it rong.

(to unstable hamster)

But seriously, spamming the turbo multiplier on a K-series Sandy Bridge won't give you any noticeable performance boost because the stock clock would be blazing fast regardless. :P