FSMR (First Super Metroid Remake) needs a programmer(s).

L.T.W.

Hello guys,

I'm speaking in behalf of the First Super Metroid Remake's team.

I'm a map maker, tiler and current Project Leader.

And we are in need of a programmer(s) because our own abandoned us.

The Fan game is currently being developed with Game Maker 7, we have a working engine, but there are still some improvements to do.

I'm asking here because I've been a member (mostly lurker though) of this community for a while, and I know that there are some good programmers here.

So, if you are familiar with GML or programming in general and are interested in being part of the team, please reply.

EDIT: Sorry, the game is being made with GM8, not 7.

Well, it is the fist, but this would be the 3 time someone retakes the project back from the dead.

Also, from personal knowledge, Nintendo has never given anyone a C&D, unless they try to make profit from it.

Just look at DoctorM64's AM2R, the dude has had his project public since 2008, and it is very famous. No C&D to date.

I don't know anything about Game Maker but I'm a Flash developer looking for a project to use on my current sidescrolling engine. It's still a month or so from being complete, but I'd be interested if you're willing to use a Flash engine (online or AIR or what-have-you).

Based on the screens on the blog, it's just going to look like the GBA games? I'd be interested in helping with this if it were an HD remake or something that really improved on the original and brought it up to date. If it's just going to be pixel art, then what's the point? Super Metroid is one of the best looking games on the SNES.

This is my own personal opinion, so dismiss it if you like. However, I believe that you will have a better chance of getting programmers that are able to help with the game if the engine was redone in Flash, C#, C++, or some similar language.

Besides, if you guys don't have any programmers right now, I would imagine (aside from your original programmer's work) that you don't have too much investment in what language / development environment the engine is developed in so long as it works.

Again, this is just my opinion. :tomatoface: Your course of action is highly dependent on how far along the engine is, and that is something I do not know.

EDIT: If you DO change what you're using, I'm personally biased towards C# and XNA. :P

Nah, we can't redo out engine, the engine is near complete. Remaking it on C#, C++, Java or Flash would require to start from 0.

TY for the replies though.

Based on the screens on the blog, it's just going to look like the GBA games? I'd be interested in helping with this if it were an HD remake or something that really improved on the original and brought it up to date. If it's just going to be pixel art, then what's the point? Super Metroid is one of the best looking games on the SNES.

And its supposed to be Zero Mission style, so we are keeping it like a GBA game, so that old PC can play it too.

You should check out AM2R, we got this idea from him, and his game looks awesome.

if you're putting this much effort into it you'd be much better off taking the engine and making a metroid-like game instead of a remake of super metroid

this would be better for everyone because

a) why would anyone want to play a remake of super metroid when they can just play super metroid

B) a standalone game of any quality will further any career aspirations towards game production that anybody on your team has then a remake of a nintendo game that will in all likelihood garner a c&d soon enough

if you're putting this much effort into it you'd be much better off taking the engine and making a metroid-like game instead of a remake of super metroid

a) why would anyone want to play a remake of super metroid when they can just play super metroid

B) a standalone game of any quality will further any career aspirations towards game production that anybody on your team has then a remake of a nintendo game that will in all likelihood garner a c&d soon enough

THIS. Well said Bleck.

Plus, most of the games on store shelves these days ARE remakes or sequels it seems.

totally agreed. except i don't think a C&D is necessarily inevitable. nintendo is usually a lot more lax about that kinda thing than some other companies *cough*sega*cough*.

You're remaking Super Metroid with Zero Mission sprites? Weren't the original SM sprites more detailed? :neutral:

I just find that odd. Also adding "first" to the beginning of your project just so that the acronym looks similar to AM2R is hella lame. Bro. IMHO.

Yeah, we are remaking it with ZM graphics and physics.

But this is not my project, I'm just resurrecting it.

So I didn't name it.

And a lot of people would like to try SM with ZM physics because a lot of new players don't like SM as much as ZM, and I really like ZM better because it's a lot faster and I'm a lot better at ZM than SM :P

EDIT: Plus the other members of the team really want to do this project over making a brand new Metroid. Actually our Spriter, Kenji Imitake, is already making a brand new Metroid.

Yeah, we are remaking it with ZM graphics and physics.

But this is not my project, I'm just resurrecting it.

So I didn't name it.

And a lot of people would like to try SM with ZM physics because a lot of new players don't like SM as much as ZM, and I really like ZM better because it's a lot faster and I'm a lot better at ZM than SM :P

EDIT: Plus the other members of the team really want to do this project over making a brand new Metroid. Actually our Spriter, Kenji Imitake, is already making a brand new Metroid.

So you're making a game that's already been made, but with different "physics"? Honestly, that doesn't sound very alluring. AM2R is awesome because he's remaking an old Gameboy game into GBA-esque graphics, with upgraded sound. There's really not much incentive to play your remake save for the percentage of people who prefer the ZM gameplay over SM. It's a huge amount of work with (what seems like) a very small payoff. To each his own, but I say this project is better off dead.

So you're making a game that's already been made, but with different "physics"? Honestly, that doesn't sound very alluring. AM2R is awesome because he's remaking an old Gameboy game into GBA-esque graphics, with upgraded sound. There's really not much incentive to play your remake save for the percentage of people who prefer the ZM gameplay over SM. It's a huge amount of work with (what seems like) a very small payoff. To each his own, but I say this project is better off dead.

Why you hating? Jealous because you can never even dream of accomplishing such a feat? You don't get it. You're decribing a revamp.

"Ddduuuuh AM2R is cool cuz its ported from... duuh... gameboy to gba... uh.. with... better sound!... yeah..... But FSMR isnt cool cuz its... From SNES :< and... instead of better sound... duhh... ohh.... better physics, graphics, music, and more bosses. FSMR must DIE!"

You, sir, make no sense. If AM2R is great for having to remake a GB game while giving it better sound and graphics, then why, WHY, in the holy mother of ass, is FSMR bad for doing the same thing to Super Metroid? Actually, just like AM2R, im pretty sure FSMR ALSO adds extra areas, bosses, secrets, and also graphics and music. Not just "Physics". If you tell this project to go die, might as well do the same to AM2R, because your argument is invalid, and you yourself, sir, are a toolbox.

But enough comparing AM2R and FSMR. I just wanted to check in with this entire thing. Who's the new programmer?

Why you hating? Jealous because you can never even dream of accomplishing such a feat? You don't get it. You're decribing a revamp.

"Ddduuuuh AM2R is cool cuz its ported from... duuh... gameboy to gba... uh.. with... better sound!... yeah..... But FSMR isnt cool cuz its... From SNES :< and... instead of better sound... duhh... ohh.... better physics, graphics, music, and more bosses. FSMR must DIE!"

You, sir, make no sense. If AM2R is great for having to remake a GB game while giving it better sound and graphics, then why, WHY, in the holy mother of ass, is FSMR bad for doing the same thing to Super Metroid? Actually, just like AM2R, im pretty sure FSMR ALSO adds extra areas, bosses, secrets, and also graphics and music. Not just "Physics". If you tell this project to go die, might as well do the same to AM2R, because your argument is invalid, and you yourself, sir, are a toolbox.

But enough comparing AM2R and FSMR. I just wanted to check in with this entire thing. Who's the new programmer?

Hey, I can speak in absolutes and make assumptions based on little evidence to!

Yeah Cyril pretty much already said what I was going to say but my point is that there's a huge difference between the original gameboy graphics (4 shades of gray, 160x144) to AM2R than there is from the SNES to the GBA. That was my point about there not being much of a payoff without making it an HD remake.

Also, I don't know if you saw my post before that, but I was actually offering to do programming if they were willing to switch to a Flash platform, as I already have a sidescrolling tile-based engine in the works. So your assumption about me being jealous is not only misguided, but shows a lack of reading comprehension.

Grow up.

It's not much of a feat to accomplish, IMO. Grab a high schooler from a comp sci class, give him a couple sprite sheets, music, and a year or so; you've got your FSMR. Developing a side scroller engine as a physics remake of an already existing side scroller engine is a matter of rewriting/figuring out the original with different speed calculations for the objects drawn to the screen. Adding extra areas, bosses, etc. is even easier once you have your engine.

Also, he's not the only one who believes Metroid 2 to full color and updated sound is a much more satisfying improvement than a respriting and physics change. You're going from SNES to GBA here, which isn't that much of a difference. They have very similar graphics in their games.

If you want to change physics, by all means, go do it, but don't expect it to be as big a deal as AM2R. And by all means, you can interpret this as "AM2R is better than FSMR" and get butthurt, because that's TOTALLY THE POINT OF MY POST.

In all seriousness, the point of my post is not to get angry when people don't agree with your "vision".

Grow up.

It's not much of a feat to accomplish, IMO. Grab a high schooler from a comp sci class, give him a couple sprite sheets, music, and a year or so; you've got your FSMR. Developing a side scroller engine as a physics remake of an already existing side scroller engine is a matter of rewriting/figuring out the original with different speed calculations for the objects drawn to the screen. Adding extra areas, bosses, etc. is even easier once you have your engine.

Also, he's not the only one who believes Metroid 2 to full color and updated sound is a much more satisfying improvement than a respriting and physics change. You're going from SNES to GBA here, which isn't that much of a difference. They have very similar graphics in their games.

If you want to change physics, by all means, go do it, but don't expect it to be as big a deal as AM2R. And by all means, you can interpret this as "AM2R is better than FSMR" and get butthurt, because that's TOTALLY THE POINT OF MY POST.

In all seriousness, the point of my post is not to get angry when people don't agree with your "vision".

Go on, tell me off. Tell me to grow up, with that period at the end to emphasize it.

My point is, you're the ones who are telling this project to go die and saying that it won't get anywhere. I programmed it, and what? Did you not expect me to stand up and fight back? You can't judge before you see it, and what pisses me off is that people are already screaming "I'd rather have this project dead" before it even barely started out. Either you people really hate SM, or you don't like having to experience a great game in new ways.

Go on, tell me off. Tell me to grow up, with that period at the end to emphasize it.

My point is, you're the ones who are telling this project to go die and saying that it won't get anywhere. I programmed it, and what? Did you not expect me to stand up and fight back? You can't judge before you see it, and what pisses me off is that people are already screaming "I'd rather have this project dead" before it even barely started out. Either you people really hate SM, or you don't like having to experience a great game in new ways.

I could just rom-hack it to get the effect you are going for.

My point is, you're the ones who are telling this project to go die and saying that it won't get anywhere. I programmed it, and what? Did you not expect me to stand up and fight back? You can't judge before you see it, and what pisses me off is that people are already screaming "I'd rather have this project dead" before it even barely started out.

I THINK YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE WE LIKE SUPER METROID AND YOU DON'T.

Learn some damn reading comprehension skills, are you 5?

And yes, I DO like to end my sentences with a period. It's called "punctuation".

Either you people really hate SM, or you don't like having to experience a great game in new ways.

What are you talking about? We all know that changing the physics of an old, classic engine turns out GREAT.

Neblix, please stop falling for the bait, you're smarter than that. The guy obviously signed up just to troll this thread. Everything that needs to be said about the project really already has been in the first two pages so continuing to reply just gives it more expo-- oh. The entire concept is asinine and their efforts would be better used to make an original game that plays similar to Metroidvania, but people without creativity are just going to rip-off the work of others so whatev.

Neblix, please stop falling for the bait, you're smarter than that. The guy obviously signed up just to troll this thread. Everything that needs to be said about the project really already has been in the first two pages so continuing to reply just gives it more expo-- oh. The entire concept is asinine and their efforts would be better used to make an original game that plays similar to Metroidvania, but people without creativity are just going to rip-off the work of others so whatev.

I don't get how completely making a fool of yourself in public is going to get fresh blood to work on your project, regardless of if you're trolling or not.. :<