Mega Man: The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011

DarkeSword

Probably the curse of all music competitions. If you're going mellow, you often start uphill against any fast paced song. And the same goes for dynamics vs. loudness. Fortunately these forums seem to be packed with awesome people who gives the tracks several listens, compare them to their sources and while doing so excludes the adrenaline they got from the 200bmp song they just heard before, and know they will get from the limiter-raper that comes next. Not saying mellow should be the way to go, but it's nice to see that it can still work in a setting like this, in spite of it's obviously lower entertainment value.

As for change of style from song to song, I see no problem at all. I guess most of us are/want to be computer game musicians, and mastering all kinds of moods and styles is what we should aim to be good at. Daring to show variety in a compo, and not just playing your safe card, shouldn't be counting against you. Besides, there's a lot of fun in not giving people what they expect ;)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going mellow. In fact, "obviously lower entertainment value" isn't even guaranteed. Some people prefer mellow to high energy and some people find intentionally harsh compression/limiting too abrasive. Different strokes for different folks.

I once showed a friend a song from Justice's debut album that I liked quite a bit. It was high energy and intentionally mixed very abrasively. He hated it. But everything he didn't like about it was something I did.

Everybody's different and it's cool to see such a big community of people with such diverse musical backgrounds. As long as we can continue to give each other friendly, constructive criticism and stay away from petty pot shots (which thankfully don't seem to happen too often on this board) we can continue to be an awesome productive community.

Ok, I think I need to stop writing. I'm starting to sound too much like an after school special. =P

Edit: If this post came off sounding weird please note that I am very very sleep deprived right now.

not true, fred. i went slow and low for my last two songs, and still won.

not sure what style i'll roll with for this last song, but we'll see.

That's because slow songs aren't inherently discriminated against in general, just when WillRock does them because he's widely known for his 80's style rockouts.

People see WillRock's name attached to a song, and they immediately think, "Awesome, another rockin' song from WillRock."

Then they play one of the songs that he submitted in this compo, and it bums them out hard because they were ready something completely different.

Mellow songs actually have done pretty well otherwise in the competition.

What happened to voting on mixes anyway? No votes in over a day now... get on it people!

The votes seem to come in early in the week, and late in the week. I think we'll see an uptick in voting starting Thursday evening/early Friday morning.

What happened to voting on mixes anyway? No votes in over a day now... get on it people!

Some of the voters are probably having the same trouble that I did, at least for you vs. Main Finger - sitting there listening to both songs and trying to figure out who the heck to vote for because both mixes are, in my humble opinion, very cool in their respective ways. :-D

Heck, on one hand, you integrate both themes exceptionally well and make Elec Man just sound like it was meant to be mellow - rock or no rock, doesn't matter, it's awesome. The only "disappointment" I've had with you in this competition, WillRock, is that you didn't sing about Elec Man taking the midnight train goin' anywhere. :-D

Then you have Main Finger's mix of groove; again, I hear both themes present, and something about it just really draws me to it; can't explain, sorry.

So in the end, I just had to flip a coin to decide... :-?

My point is, great job to both of you - this has been the hardest decision thus far for me, and it's probably difficult for some other voters too, and thus that's where all the soon-to-be votes are. That's my guess, anyway.

Is there any actual plan for what to do with a tie? I sure hope so. 'Cuz if "what happens in a tie" is decided after there is already a tie, it will be hard not to come off as bias.

If I remember correctly, that's one of the reasons DarkeSword votes last: to break any potential ties.

If he votes and there's a tie then, well, I guess both remixers have to resubmit their remixes in the ultimate form of a showdown: in acapella versions. :<

So in the end, I just had to flip a coin to decide... :-?

Something to mention here... I read every vote in the match ups I'm in and quite a few times people have apparently flipped coins and voted against me. On the receiving end of that, its extremely disheartening, particularly when a vote is close and can turn the tide, and I'd much rather people didn't resort to such petty methods of voting. If you can't decide then don't vote at all, please? To be frank, leaving a vote like that to chance just doesn't seem fair for either remixer in said match.

People have to vote. They can't say it's a draw. You'd be less upset if the coin landed the other way, now wouldn't you.

Probably not, but If I won out of a coin toss, it would be pretty cheap. You've been moaning about technicalities in voting, this could basically come down to the same thing... imagine if you won or lost on a coin toss. Besides, people DON'T have to vote. If they can't decide at that point in time, then they should leave it for now. Now i'm not saying they can't do it, but I'm just saying being on the receiving end of something like that isn't very nice and I feel like people who decide to vote that way need to know how it might affect the remixers in question, particularly if they care about going far in the compo. They do have a week, and if they still can't decide then they shouldn't vote at all imo.

Something to mention here... I read every vote in the match ups I'm in and quite a few times people have apparently flipped coins and voted against me. On the receiving end of that, its extremely disheartening, particularly when a vote is close and can turn the tide, and I'd much rather people didn't resort to such petty methods of voting. If you can't decide then don't vote at all, please? To be frank, leaving a vote like that to chance just doesn't seem fair for either remixer in said match.

Looks like I've stepped over my bounds with one of my comments... again.

Sorry about my over exaggeration, a terrible habit of mine; I did indeed flip a coin, but my decision was made before that on whom I would vote for... just wanted to see what would come of the flip. I doubt you'll believe me, but that's all it really was.

Sorry that comment's disheartening to you or anyone, I didn't mean it like that. :-|

I know each vote is serious, and I make sure to listen plenty of times to each remix, regardless of "genre" or nitpicky things like that; since my primary choice is based on enjoyability, it makes my decision harder and I was like "Agh! Both remixes are so cool! Which one?", but, as you can see, a decision was made each time. Example? Main Finger vs. Chernabogue - really dug Chernabogue's creativity and Main Finger's upbeat mix - took me the whole week to decide; I don't decide spontaneously nor through petty means. To tell the truth, I flipped coins a few times before, but never did before I had already made a decision - it was just curiosity, WillRock, nothing more. :(

Again, I'm very sorry about that comment.

It's a weird balance to strike. On one hand, I wish we didn't have to vote in every matchup so that we could choose not to vote in ones we didn't feel strongly about and just vote in ones we did. But the flipside is that forcing votes on all matchups is a nice protection so people don't try to stuff the ballots on a single matchup.

On an unrelated note: I kind of wish that artists voting on the matchups they're participating in didn't count, but were free to vote in the other brackets of the same round. I want to vote on the matchups next to me, but I feel dirty voting in my own matchup >_>

Looks like I've stepped over my bounds with one of my comments... again.

Sorry about my over exaggeration, a terrible habit of mine; I did indeed flip a coin, but my decision was made before that on whom I would vote for... just wanted to see what would come of the flip. I doubt you'll believe me, but that's all it really was.

Sorry that comment's disheartening to you or anyone, I didn't mean it like that. :-|

I know each vote is serious, and I make sure to listen plenty of times to each remix, regardless of "genre" or nitpicky things like that; since my primary choice is based on enjoyability, it makes my decision harder and I was like "Agh! Both remixes are so cool! Which one?". To tell the truth, I flipped coins plenty of times, but never did before I had already made a decision - curiosity, WillRock, nothing more. :(

Fair enough I guess, altho I find it curious you said you had to flip a coin to decide if you actually didn't... "I finally just gave up and had to flip a freakin' coin" says to me you used that as a means to decide, so you understand my point. Didn't mean to make an example of you but i've seen it with various people in passed compos and I felt it needed saying. No hard feelings.

@Main Finger - I always vote for myself as a rule because i'm confident in my abilities. You can cancel out my vote with yours like you did in the match up so its square. Besides, I'm very competitive, I won't resort to dirty tactics but I will vote for myself if it keeps me ahead - or gives me a chance ;)

Heh... didn't know you could delete the whole post... I thought that just meant the message in the post. How 'bout that. :<

Edit: Sorry I don't know 'ya very well, but a happy birthday to you WillRock... enjoy that 21 while it lasts. :(

On an unrelated note: I kind of wish that artists voting on the matchups they're participating in didn't count, but were free to vote in the other brackets of the same round. I want to vote on the matchups next to me, but I feel dirty voting in my own matchup >_>

the artist has an opinion, too. for example, hylian voted for mine last round. i also voted for mine. we both voted for what we felt was the better track. does that mean that hylian's track wasn't good, or that he's a terrible musician, or that i'm a terrible person for not voting for his, or that he eats kitty cats in stew on wednesday nights? nope. i should confess that i have not voted against myself yet, including last year when i lost to txai. i felt that my track was a better arrangement, so i stood by my guns. still lost badly, but that's the voting community for you =) my production was pretty bad, which is why i lost a lot of votes, but i've already discussed my voting beliefs earlier and i don't feel like rehashing that. if hylian's track had been as good as his track from the previous matchup, i'd have voted for him. his arrangement there was way better than mine was in the third round...but that's the tournament for you.

i DO have an issue with artists voting for theirs just to cancel out the other person's vote (bs). if you legitimately feel yours is better, great! if you're just being an ass because you don't know how else to be, don't vote.

i DO have an issue with artists voting for theirs just to cancel out the other person's vote (bs). if you legitimately feel yours is better, great! if you're just being an ass because you don't know how else to be, don't vote.

If you're gonna vote for yourself, though, do it at the end of the week. Some people will just always interpret your vote as being an ass and vote against you out of spite. :nicework: (not talking to you, prophetik)

If you legitimately feel yours is better, great! if you're just being an ass because you don't know how else to be, don't vote.

Well in all honesty, no matter what I do there will always be somebody ready and willing to call me an ass. That's a given.

Joking aside, even though I have enjoyed my own songs more than my opponents (I make what I would want to hear, afterall), I just feel like a jerk saying it out loud. Crap. Now I feel like a jerk. Thanks a lot! =P