Mega Man: The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011

DarkeSword

an instrumentation clarification: my track used the tonehammer sets Epic Toms Ensemble, Plucked Grand Piano, Cylindrum (that's the thing that sounds like tuned toms or beating on pipes, kind of like Blue Man Group's stuff), Alien Drum (a hang-hang or hang drum), Bamboo Sticks Ensemble, and Propanium (kind of a ping-ier Cylindrum or Alien Drum). there's also a theremin and loads of omnisphere, but the percussion is all listed above. the "high-school percussion" sound comes from how lots of the Epic Toms Ensemble is based around roto-toms and floor toms, which sound like the quads and quints used in a marching band.

drew gourley is really, really angry, apparently. was that really called for? :neutral: calling my entry an "earfucking" is clearly not being impartial, if you ask me, as well as saying that i've gotten this far based on name alone.

seriously, chill the fuck out, man. it's just plain rude. just because it's the internet doesn't mean that there aren't real people on the other end of the line.

drew gourley is really, really angry, apparently. was that really called for? :neutral: calling my entry an "earfucking" is clearly not being impartial, if you ask me, as well as saying that i've gotten this far based on name alone.

seriously, chill the fuck out, man. it's just plain rude. just because it's the internet doesn't mean that there aren't real people on the other end of the line.

halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-heavytophatmonocle.jpg

That isn't the first time he's said that about a mix in this compo. See here.

That's the way he's spoken throughout the competition, so I don't think he was being specifically harsh towards you in his manner of speaking.

He was, though, publicly registering his disappointment with the quality your submissions of this year's competition (which I personally disagree with - most of your tracks were excellent). I think his doing so in his usual edgy style made it very much seem like a personal attack on you, which it really wasn't, as far as I can tell.

Still, everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion, I guess.

When I voted for Brad over myself, I'm not sure it was his name that convinced me. :<

Yeah, to be fair, if I was voting for anybody based on their name, it'd be Will. I mean, it kinda promises that he's going to rock. I might as well not even listen to his stuff because I already know how it's gonna go down just looking at his name. prophetik, while I'm sure he makes awesome tunes too, does not have a username which promises an equivalent amount of rockage. This puts him at a serious disadvantage to anyone such as myself who considers names the ultimate voting criteria.

:<

opinions, yes. attacks on my creative process? no. just totally uncalled for. he needs to grow up, as things like that are just so immature. i expect to hear that stuff from pre-pubescent boys on xbox live, not in something like this.

edit: heh. pube scent.

You're right, and it is uncalled for. Next competition I run, I'll make it clear at the outset that votes like that will be neither appreciated nor counted. I probably should have done it here, but I usually think these kinds of things don't really need to be said.

I take full responsibility for what I said and apologize. I can't really say anything else or disagree with those who it made mad. Sometimes I take too lightly the way I make awful swears like 'earfucking'. Know that I didn't mean it to be as bad as it was taken. I'm sorry.

your 'clarification' is still pretty bad either way. you're basically saying that i've done terrible and still gotten by on my 'name recognition', which in my opinion is as meaningless and anemic as what rozovian said. will's the one with the name here, folks. i just play sax poorly.

Again, I apologize for saying what I said, but I'm not going to come reeling back off of what I believe. Using the words I used to express my disgust was wrong and I should watch it, and if that invalidates my vote for the purposes of this comp then so be it. That is the price I will pay, and I will not fault Darke for it whatsoever. I'll apologize all day for my crass language and harsh exaggerations about the validity other people's votes, but I will not back down off of my belief.

That being said there is no good reason you've made it to the final in this comp and your final entry stands to prove it. -- Is that clarification enough?

Again, I apologize for saying what I said, but I'm not going to come reeling back off of what I believe. Using the words I used to express my disgust was wrong and I should watch it, and if that invalidates my vote for the purposes of this comp then so be it. That is the price I will pay, and I will not fault Darke for it whatsoever. I'll apologize all day for my crass language and harsh exaggerations about the validity other people's votes, but I will not back down off of my belief.

That being said there is no good reason you've made it to the final in this comp and your final entry stands to prove it. -- Is that clarification enough?

You had me at the first paragraph that prophetik should've forgiven you.

And then you turned right back around and insulted him again. :tomatoface:

your 'clarification' is still pretty bad either way. you're basically saying that i've done terrible and still gotten by on my 'name recognition', which in my opinion is as meaningless and anemic as what rozovian said. will's the one with the name here, folks. i just play sax poorly.

Seems to me more like he said that you are one of the best mixers on the site and you underperformed in his opinion in this compo. He's already apologized for his tone and for saying you got on only by name recognition. I'm not defending what he said before, but he has apologized, and lets be honest here, people got pissed off with you for suggesting - harshly - that draconators mix wasn't even a remix when you went up against him. I'm not trying to bring up old wounds here but I'm just saying that no one is perfect, and there is no need to keep hard feelings against drew if he's apologized to you for his outburst imo.

There has been a fuckton of drama in this compo already, why can't we all just get along? :P

That's enough. It's one thing to express your own opinion. It's another thing entirely to call into question the collective opinions of all of the people that voted.

prophetik advanced this far in the tournament because many people voted for his entries, and people voted for his entries because they liked them. Stop suggesting otherwise, and stop insulting everyone who's participated in the voting process by doing so.

You have your opinion, but in the end you're just one opinion in a sea of dozens. Try to remember that.

This matter is closed, and any further discussion along this line will be removed from this thread.

Yeah, to be fair, if I was voting for anybody based on their name, it'd be Will. I mean, it kinda promises that he's going to rock. I might as well not even listen to his stuff because I already know how it's gonna go down just looking at his name. prophetik, while I'm sure he makes awesome tunes too, does not have a username which promises an equivalent amount of rockage. This puts him at a serious disadvantage to anyone such as myself who considers names the ultimate voting criteria.

:<

So wait, we're voting on the mixes? :shock:

Soooooooooooooo... how bout them remixes?

I just want to thank all the artists for all the great music this compo produced and for Darke for coordinating everything! I had a great time listening to all the awesome music created each Saturday. You guys rock!

They've been awesome; it's been like a Saturday version of the Smash Bros. Dojo [off-topic: fun times back then, checking that every day], except with cool remixes. :grin:

Echoing SuperiorX here, you guys rock!