The Apprentice

Calum

I really was going for a corny kind of old school lo-fi type of sound and i'm really happy with the bass sound. The trumpets were actually not that bad until I put loads of chorus on them but I just thought real-sounding trumpets (as with bass) wouldn't suit the song/instrumentation. But I will make the trumpets a little less jarring - I decided to double track them and pan them L and R a bit and make them slightly out of sync - i thought this would beef them up but it kind of just made them a bit weird!

stats.png

Here's a new version - it was actually flanger on the trumpets but i've turned it down quite a bit and made the drums a little quieter - let me know if you think this is better?

the drums seem louder lol

the drums seem louder lol

hmm perhaps i turned everything else down as well when i turned the drums downnn... ahhh!

Oh well - here's something new. I'm gonna go back and sort out all the old stuff soon:

It's called A Pleasant Walk - reminds me of some of the Twilight Princess soundtrack + a little bit FFXIII:

stats.png

It's unfinished and there are quite a few things to sort out but i just thought i'd post it to get some general feedback.

EDIT: OK upon relistening it's very sketchy but the essentials are there.

hmm perhaps i turned everything else down as well when i turned the drums downnn... ahhh!

Oh well - here's something new. I'm gonna go back and sort out all the old stuff soon:

It's called A Pleasant Walk - reminds me of some of the Twilight Princess soundtrack + a little bit FFXIII:

stats.png

It's unfinished and there are quite a few things to sort out but i just thought i'd post it to get some general feedback.

EDIT: OK upon relistening it's very sketchy but the essentials are there.

the second to last note in the 1st? melody needs to be extended, otherwise very good.

the second to last note in the 1st? melody needs to be extended, otherwise very good.

The Bb?

Considering it's played by pizzicato/staccato piccolo, that's not really an option, but i also never intended for that. Are you sure you mean this? Seems like you're picking some arbitrary thing to tell me to "correct". Like the second chord of 'In The Water Garden'. Have we got really different ears or are you just picking something to give feedback on for feedback's sake. I mean, if you're sincere then thanks but i don't think I agree (again) in this case.

The Bb?

Considering it's played by pizzicato/staccato piccolo, that's not really an option, but i also never intended for that. Are you sure you mean this? Seems like you're picking some arbitrary thing to tell me to "correct". Like the second chord of 'In The Water Garden'. Have we got really different ears or are you just picking something to give feedback on for feedback's sake. I mean, if you're sincere then thanks but i don't think I agree (again) in this case.

well the chord in water garden just felt a little bit off to me, I wasn't really sure about it though and yes, technically you had the right chord but something felt very slightly off. This, yes everything is pizzicato, but the first time I heard it it definitely did not feel right, it wasn't arbitrary. Since it's pizzacato, I dont know what you could do, maybe add a echo or different sample. Another thing that's hard though, is after the song looped I couldn't really notice that part anymore. Sometimes you have to listen with fresh ears to notice these things. sort of like a john williams documentary, he notices the slightest things wrong with the articulation which greatly aggravates the orchestra because they have to play it over and over again until it reaches that hidden point of perfection.

well the chord in water garden just felt a little bit off to me, I wasn't really sure about it though and yes, technically you had the right chord but something felt very slightly off. This, yes everything is pizzicato, but the first time I heard it it definitely did not feel right, it wasn't arbitrary. Since it's pizzacato, I dont know what you could do, maybe add a echo or different sample. Another thing that's hard though, is after the song looped I couldn't really notice that part anymore. Sometimes you have to listen with fresh ears to notice these things. sort of like a john williams documentary, he notices the slightest things wrong with the articulation which greatly aggravates the orchestra because they have to play it over and over again until it reaches that hidden point of perfection.

I take your point but it's really a matter of opinion - do you want the note itself to be longer or for it to be heard for longer? I'm kinda happy with it but perhaps thats because, as you say, i've listened to it over and over again. I still need to work more on this and add new sections, fix up and mix things but yeah.

I haven't looped it, it will have just looped on tindeck but yeah OK, I get that if this was looped then little articulation niggles would get very annoying but as i said this is certainly unfinished!

Thanks for the feedback.

I take your point but it's really a matter of opinion - do you want the note itself to be longer or for it to be heard for longer? I'm kinda happy with it but perhaps thats because, as you say, i've listened to it over and over again. I still need to work more on this and add new sections, fix up and mix things but yeah.

I haven't looped it, it will have just looped on tindeck but yeah OK, I get that if this was looped then little articulation niggles would get very annoying but as i said this is certainly unfinished!

Thanks for the feedback.

quite the opposite, actually, the more you loop it the harder it is to notice the bad stuff, if

you work on a song for too long at one time your ears could get tired and you might start missing things
im not sure which, whichever sounds better to you i suppose.

• 2 weeks later...