Do you think your musical instrument matches your personality?

mickomoo

I hate to stereotype I really do, but I noticed a generalization I just couldn't pass up. I recently typed my friends and other people I know by the instrument they played and it seems to match up.

For example:

-A lot of the people I know who play piano are loners, and the piano is an instrument that sounds quite dynamic and full on its own.

-In band, most of the trumpeters who sat behind me were quite brash and very energetic

-most of the guitarists I know are quirky and/or outgoing.

idk where I'm going with this, but anyways do you feel that the instrument(s) you play kinda matches your personality in some way?

If you play more than 1 do you have multiple personalities?

I think I have multi-instrumentalist disorder

Lol I was thinking so at first, but I'm assuming that certain aspects of your personality might either be reflected by more than one instrument and that each part of your personality should have at least one instrument.

I play guitar

I have long hair. Not like super long anymore. Just to shoulder length. Chicks dig it. I guess that's the guitar stereotype I fit lol. Least, everytime someone says "guitarist" long haired rocker dudes seem to come to mind.

I used to have like really long hair..........I cut it after some middle-age construction worker dudes mistook me for a woman and we're making disturbing comments about me as I walked by. Guess I must've looked sexy from the back.

It was that day I cut my hair, vowing never to have it that long again.

On the personality note. I'm a party animal I guess.

Actually I'd amend the piano type to not necessarily be loners. More like the quiet, low-key type. I don't have a cell phone full of friend numbers but jeez, I have my group of peeps!

the guitarists i know are always crazy/loud. they have a personality and a half.

I can vouch for both of these things. I'm a pianist and I'm a very low-key person. I'm not a loner but I keep to myself more often than not.

By contrast, all of my friends practically are guitarists and they're VERY outgoing and almost dominating at times.

I play the piano and I do indeed keep to myself most of the time. I'm not antisocial, though. People tell me I'm very talkative if I'm in the right company.

However, I'm not sure if personality really has anything to do with it. I mean, I started playing the piano when I was 4 or 5, and I don't think I had the personality I have now. Maybe you still choose on a subconscious level.

Interesting topic, by the way.

More or not I just wanted to see if currently people's personalities just happened to coincide with their instruments, regardless of if it was a delibrate decision or not. Just for fun lol.

Actually I'd amend the piano type to not necessarily be loners. More like the quiet, low-key type. I don't have a cell phone full of friend numbers but jeez, I have my group of peeps!

the guitarists i know are always crazy/loud. they have a personality and a half.

I didn't mean loaners, well not solely or specifically. I definitely did over-categorize there, the was one pianist I was thinking of in particular, an old associate of mine... now HE was definitely a loaner lol.

But the pianist, especially those I've observed are very low-key as you said, with a very subtle dynamic, a subtle but unique edge. They might sometimes appear quiet but you don't know them till you here them talk or play. I say this as I... kinda am a pianist myself, but I didn't choose the instrument myself. As someone pointed out, some of these things tend to just happen or work out that way lol

I sequence music. I'm introspective, questioning just about everything I've done. So far so good for your theory.

And I play a little guitar, a little more bass than guitar, some drums, some keyboards, occasionally percussion... and I've become more outgoing, active, focused...

Which either means that learning more instruments changes you, or that you change as you grow up. :tomatoface:

I've already played the flute, the piano, guitar and drums. Maybe my personality changes like "what the hey you okay uh hi how are oh it's him and ah it's now the other him" as the time passes by! ;P

Hey, that's funny... Take a look at the chronological order of the instruments I'd played:

1st) Drums

2nd) Guitar

3rd) Piano

4th) Flute

I suppose I was quite an AAAAA guy that slowly turned OOMMM?

your personality type defines what instruments you play/enjoy and in what way you utilize that instrument.

This makes sense once your personality is relatively set, but what about those of us that started playing instruments when younger? I first started playing sax at 12, and I sure wasn't sexy then.

(maybe it's BECAUSE of the sax that I got sexy, then)