Automatic backup solution over network

zircon

I've been using some form of Rsync for awhile, but for some reason it doesn't work anymore (says it is now for online backup only? Weird, it wasn't saying that before.) Basically, I have about 1-1.5tb of files that need to be backed up/synced to a machine on my local network. What's the best free solution for this? Preferably something with smart synchronization and that runs on a schedule.

I've been using some form of Rsync for awhile, but for some reason it doesn't work anymore (says it is now for online backup only? Weird, it wasn't saying that before.) Basically, I have about 1-1.5tb of files that need to be backed up/synced to a machine on my local network. What's the best free solution for this? Preferably something with smart synchronization and that runs on a schedule.

Have you tried Windows Back Up? If you have W7 pro or Ultimate, it lets you back up to a network.

Cobian backup seems cool, but... I can't schedule for shutdown? :/ How are my Windows settings going to get backed up properly? Also it's confusing as to how to use the program. The help file kind of sucks. For example, it seems like it's creating backups with a specific date and time. I don't want that. I want ONE backup that is synchronized daily, but there are so many options that I don't understand how to do that.

Edit: Tried a few more, including graphical frontends for Rsync. They all suck. Seriously, all I want is a program that does this:

1. Select a source folder.

2. Select a destination folder.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 for all my drives.

4. Check for changes in source folder and back up any changes to the destination folder.

5. Run this on shutdown.

Cobian on shutdown from the FAQ

Q-How can I start the backup of all tasks when Windows starts? And when Windows shuts down?

It's not possible to start a backup when Windows shuts down because the system would kill the service in the middle of the work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52#Overview

Not sure if this will help any.

zircon, i didn't see this before.

cobian backup 5 (i think it's 5) allows you to schedule anything you want. that's the backup i use, have used for years, and it's great.

it's a versioning software, though, so you're going to get versions of files rather than the most recent version only.

beyond that, bacula might be what you're looking for.

edit: http://www.fbackup.com/?