Need a second pair of ears here.

I recently finished this track using a new limiter (Massey's Limiter) which is awesome. But even though Pro Tools doesn't register any clipping, I can hear what sounds like clipping in my computer speakers. So if someone could take a listen for me and see if either I need to re-mix it or if my comp speakers are just shit.

http://soundcloud.com/metaldevin/birth-of-a-bounty-hunter

Thanks!

P.S. Ehhh by the way it's about 11:13 long. :)

I recently finished this track using a new limiter (Massey's Limiter) which is awesome. But even though Pro Tools doesn't register any clipping, I can hear what sounds like clipping in my computer speakers. So if someone could take a listen for me and see if either I need to re-mix it or if my comp speakers are just shit.

http://soundcloud.com/metaldevin/birth-of-a-bounty-hunter

Thanks!

P.S. Ehhh by the way it's about 11:13 long. :)

You definitely have a giant brick here. I notice you have a lot of square waves, which can sometimes sound like clipping (as the effect of clipping basically creates a square waveform).

I don't hear clipping, is there a spot specifically you hear it?

I think this brick wall is killing your dynamics though--remember loud is about CONTRAST.

i did at a compressor on the master track to kinda glue the mix together. that a bad thing?

EDIT: I felt this was an ok thing cause i heard this: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02217/

Another thing ive noticed is im lacking on the low end. And what sucks is that Pro Tools 9 doesnt seem to have a multiband compressor which was what I normally use to add and subtract frequency on the master track. But im also scared to add any low end cause that was the problem i had with loudness. Too much mud. And when I try to add low end it seems to distort with the limiter in place.

and i cant just download a VST because PT9 dont use VSTs and if i wanted to use any i'd have to convert them to RTAS with fxpansion which is like 100 dollars and im out of money at the moment. grrrrrr.

Yeah, that's a perfect place for a compressor. In fact, it is not uncommon for that to be one of the FEW places you will find a compressor on your track.

You don't need a compressor on everything.

Additionally, good compression is done with a light touch.

You can create your own multi-band compression if you want, just set up a sub-mix bus in ProTools, then create sends (for as many bands as you want) and then put them all on separate stereo busses and send them to Aux channels, start off each Aux Channel with a basic EQ that isolates the band you want to compress and add an instance of compression for each bus.

BAM, home made multi-band compression.

How do you think they did it without computers in the old days?

Just don't ask me how to set up a home-made Mid/Side Mastering Setup.