Mystery Dungeon World Calamity Remix

TGH

Remixed this a long time ago, don't like it anymore. . . so I re-did it, progressive house-style

http://www.box.net/shared/6a1oo972ku

I honestly don't have a good feeling about whether or not this type of arrangement is acceptable for OCR. . . it's kinda repetitive (as it is house) and takes a while to get anywhere, but I tried the best I can to get rid of some of the repetitiveness without actually getting rid of the house, lol

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EtAPA4KEE

Production and composition are still works in progress.

Update:

http://www.box.net/shared/6a1oo972ku

Composition is done, production is almost done.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

-TGH

EDIT: I'm curious to know if this would possibly be considered to be on OCR with the arrangement like it is. . I'm just curious if it is or not, and if it's not, then I don't intend on changing it anyway.

(lol sorry if that's hard to understand, I'm an idiot you see :P)

Whoaa sorry, man! I didn't notice you were being ignored! :o

I must have skipped your thread :tomatoface:

This is astoundingly soothing. I really wasn't expecting such a relaxing mix. The progression is awesome! All the transitions felt very natural. I really enjoyed the flow, all along the mix :)

I really enjoy the production aspect of this. Everything sounds very clear to me, even in my crappy earbuds :D And I really like how you handled the side-chaining. And your synths sound perfect to me.

The only thing that I didn't enjoy as much is the distant lead ostinato (I don't know how to describe it better than that hahaha), near the beginning. It felt so far away, and the drum and bass are so dry... It felt a bit weird. I might be wrong though :)

P.S.: I'm not a great mixer (yet), so don't take this feedback too seriously ;)

EDIT: I just noticed one of your tracks (the lead ostinato) seems to keep playing with very low volume at the end, after the fade out. You might want to check it out.

This mix is pretty good and relaxing. Whether or not it meets OCR standards is uncertain...but I do think it's heading in the right direction.

The length saves certain tracks from being considered too drawn out, but I do think the intro MAY need a better lead. I hope you didn't submit it yet, but if you did wish you luck.

Can you give a source usage breakdown? Due to the style, it is a bit difficult for me to pick out what you put where, and a breakdown would be greatly helpful in guiding me. Actually, to ANYONE wanting mod review, a source usage breakdown would be great.

Production wise, I'm actually quite impressed. The intro drums could use use some additional parts and flare until it gets going, and the bass could be introduced a LITTLE better (full fade in instead of lowend coldstart). Once this thing gets going, it sounds quite enjoyable albeit a bit much on the sidechaining. Great usage of the stereo here, and I have no qualms about the instruments used.

Seriously, you could bring this up to OCR quality for both source usage and increase the quality of the arrangement a bit by creatively incorporating a lead melody in here. The whole song sounds great as is but it feels like it is missing a lead, either a lead instrument or even a lead vocalist singing source melody with lyrics. I can hear your lead in some chunks of the more active sections, but it is very fleeting.

Think it over, because I would recommend definitely working on this more to get it up to OCR snuff. PM me if you would like some more personalized ideas on lead usage, but please get a source breakdown here first :D

I just noticed one of your tracks (the lead ostinato) seems to keep playing with very low volume at the end, after the fade out. You might want to check it out.

Haha, you must have listened to it LOUD then to notice that :D

I do think the intro MAY need a better lead.

Will do.

Can you give a source usage breakdown? Due to the style, it is a bit difficult for me to pick out what you put where, and a breakdown would be greatly helpful in guiding me. Actually, to ANYONE wanting mod review, a source usage breakdown would be great.

Production wise, I'm actually quite impressed. The intro drums could use use some additional parts and flare until it gets going, and the bass could be introduced a LITTLE better (full fade in instead of lowend coldstart). Once this thing gets going, it sounds quite enjoyable albeit a bit much on the sidechaining. Great usage of the stereo here, and I have no qualms about the instruments used.

Seriously, you could bring this up to OCR quality for both source usage and increase the quality of the arrangement a bit by creatively incorporating a lead melody in here. The whole song sounds great as is but it feels like it is missing a lead, either a lead instrument or even a lead vocalist singing source melody with lyrics. I can hear your lead in some chunks of the more active sections, but it is very fleeting.

Think it over, because I would recommend definitely working on this more to get it up to OCR snuff. PM me if you would like some more personalized ideas on lead usage, but please get a source breakdown here first :D

I'm not sure how to do a source breakdown here, but here goes:

*:14 - 3:05 and 4:15 to 6:30 = main bass structure of all of the source

*chords from :37 - 3:22 and 4:15 - 6:30 are slight variations of chords in the source

*Lead from 1:20 - 1:47, 2:00 - 2:32, and 4:30 - 5:03 (with the exception of the last 5 or so seconds of lead) are straight from the source

*ostinado from 2:44 - 3:14 and 4:14 - 6:00 are straight from the source

*high bells from :49 - 3:30 and 3:45 - 6:15 are straight from the source

*3:23 - 4:14 = break from all source usage with the exception of the high bells.

Total 365 seconds of source out of 396 seconds of song. Yeah, pretty conservative, but a completely different genre and style...

-And that's about it.

I will definitely attempt at a synth lead throught, whenever the actual source leads aren't playing, and I'll try my best to do it tastefully :D

Thanks a ton for the feedback guys, really helped out a lot :D

If you're content, sub it. Let's see how it does. I know you didn't want to compromise your artistic vision to make it "OCR passable" but I think it has a fair shot at this point. Not a clear pass I would think but it has enough going for it.

Edit: Don't forget to include the source breakdown in your sub letter. The judges definitely appreciate source breakdowns in sub letters.

I actually felt that it was a little repetitive on the first listen, but it's growing on me. Production is good, and the fact that it takes so long until the main melody from the source is introduced makes you appreciate it all the more.

And if you're happy with it, I'd say go for it and see what the judges have to say. :)