need composing advice

hi guys! so i am making this rpg game in rpg maker and also doing all of the music... now i try to compose a music for a dungeon that is kinda mysterious and suspenseful with tragic undertones like at the end of the dungeon a big secret is gonna be revealed but the hero might not like what he finds out, u know what i mean? now i came up with this riff:

f c f g c g g# c f g c

imho it works really well and i can repeat it a few times, maybe change the instrumentation... it sounds really nice on an electric piano with some echo added and a nice reverb... or on a bass guitar... anyway, the question is how do i progress from here?? f c# f g c# g g# c# f g c# naturally comes next, but after that i'm stuck! any advice? :oops:

Just take the same basic pattern and move it around until it sounds good.

For example (^ indicates the next octave up): a-flat c a-flat b-flat e-flat b-flat c^ d-flat e-flat^ g

(Nitpicking: I assume you're composing in a piano roll rather than a score editor, so there's no real distinction among different ways of spelling notes. For notation purposes, though, you seem to be in f minor, so it's easier to read if you follow the key and spell it as: f c f g c g a-flat c f g c -- d-flat f g d-flat g a-flat d-flat f g d-flat. )

music is honestly experimentation, especially if you're not some uber classical composer. Well at least for me... >_<

Anyways it helps to think of complimentary scales... or in my case notes. You mentioned f being played, move the pattern or a similar patter to D or A as those notes are in a cord with F, if you're also feeling bold, you can try a pattern with a sharp or flat. Or you could loop what you have and have another instruments play chords or a counter point, or have another instrument play the melody and a new instrument do something else... there's really no limit to what you can do just experiment. Every song I've written this far was quite nearly an accident... mostly