PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

We have a clear path to have PlayStation Network and Qriocity systems back online, and expect to restore some services within a week.

In other words, you don't have a clear path to restore service. I'm glad I'm still a snooty snobish PC gamer at heart.

If our credit card info isn't safe in the PS3 from where I bought FF7, the thing is getting sold.

That's basically what they're saying. All your credit card info is now in the hands of teh hakkerz.

Also, why aren't you all up in arms about General Electric yet?

General electric GRAHHHHHH!!!

Corporate Taxes are a touchy subject that I will not go into lest someone gets offended that I don't think the entities themselves should be taxed as everyone else who runs it also gets taxed.

I do think CEO compensation packages typically award more than they ought.

If you feel enraged by that, PLEASE quote it and make a topic in off-top or something. lol

(ninja-editnote: that doesn't make GE's evasion of taxes correct, just want to be clear on that, if its the law its the law and people should not skinny around them)

Anyway, yea, so this is where I'm glad I never owned a sony system (or even a walkman) in my life :)

RAHHH SONY IS SO EVIL AND THE WORST COMPANY EVER!

Meanwhile, General Electric (a way bigger company) made billions of dollars and paid absolutely no taxes at a time when the U.S. is facing a crippling deficits and our lawmakers are slashing union rights, public services and education in the name of deficit reduction.

Can we keep things in perspective?

People see what they want to see. Particularly the people with green blood. ADHD. All of them.

On the other hand, I kind of hope this IS all the work of hackers and that they DID find all our credit card numbers, if only for the small satisfaction that it would also affect the people who own a PS3 and still cheer on the hackers. Damned idiots.

And another thing, if it were another company or government body that were targeted by hackers to the point where your information would be compromised, whose side would you be on? Would you hate them more than the hackers?

IF this is the work of hackers, then one could say that their actions have become hypocritical. They attacked Sony for infringing on the rights of the few, when now everyone is suffering from the network outage. Sony wasn't targeting me when it was carrying on with it's lawsuit. And Sony may have pulled the plug on PSN but who forced their hand?

Who can say but Sony themselves. And I do agree with those that are upset they haven't been communicating with their customers.

Edit: ok so they sent a letter. That's some good communication right there.

I have no regrets getting a PS3 as there are just some games I would NEVER see appear on the XBOX-360, the PC/Steam, nor on the Wii. Yes it sucks that the PSN is down for now, maybe for a month or more, but it won't stop games from appearing on the platform nor stop me from enjoying the ones I have already for it.

Besides most of the games I have for it are single player anyways :lol:

Though I will miss occasionally playing PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX to make record setters and watching replays of others on it.

People see what they want to see. Particularly the people with green blood. ADHD. All of them.

On the other hand, I kind of hope this IS all the work of hackers and that they DID find all our credit card numbers, if only for the small satisfaction that it would also affect the people who own a PS3 and still cheer on the hackers. Damned idiots.

And another thing, if it were another company or government body that were targeted by hackers to the point where your information would be compromised, whose side would you be on? Would you hate them more than the hackers?

Sony is more than partially responsible for losing everyone's credit card information. o.O

Sony is more than partially responsible for losing everyone's credit card information. o.O

But they would never use it for personal gain (outside of your VOLUNTARY purchase), like the people who took it are feared to do. You trust(ed) that information with Sony and now some maniac may have it.

I don't blame you for feeling anger.

I just want people to stop treating the people who took the information like heroes.

Rumor has it one of the reasons Sony had to shut down the network is because they have abolutely the worst security imaginable. If the math error that let failoverflow open the system wide wasn't enough, apparently if a system identifies itself as a debug unit without bothering to check any other data or credentials it gets access to developer only sections of psn. And Project Rebug turns regular ps3s into debug units, so yeah. Anybody who installed it gets into a backdoor and had access to who knows what. Sony is terrible at doing anything right honestly

Hey man, chill. I heard Sony is tracking down and suing anyone who has knowledge of how to hack the ps3 and then posts it online. =O

They should be coming for you soon... CRAP! And since I quoted you, now they'll come after me! :cry:

I have no regrets getting a PS3 as there are just some games I would NEVER see appear on the XBOX-360, the PC/Steam, nor on the Wii.

GET BACK TO PLAYING AR TONELICO YOU! :3

But they would never use it for personal gain (outside of your VOLUNTARY purchase), like the people who took it are feared to do. You trust(ed) that information with Sony and now some maniac may have it.

I don't blame you for feeling anger.

I just want people to stop treating the people who took the information like heroes.

They're not heroes but they were definitely egged on by Sony, who... actually failed to fix their problem after the Anonymous attack... They waited until it was too late and this happens

I smell a lawsuit coming.

It smells like purple.

Sony is not liable for too much though...they have not broken their part of the contract, which is that they will not share their information with outside sources. The outside sources STOLE that information, and have no right to it. The only thing Sony is liable for is having a craptastic security system (which could be categorized as neglect of services).

The only thing Sony is liable for is having a craptastic security system (which could be categorized as neglect of services).

The neglect is doubled because they were warned about upcoming attacks and still got jacked.

Still, I feel like if I turn my back on Sony, anon has won. My loss of respect/trust towards Sony is punishment enough for me.

1. PSN went unhacked for what, 5 years? If the security were that bad, it would have gotten hacked sooner. Think about all the services you know that were started 5 years (or more) ago and how many times they've been breached, hacked or compromised. It happens even to the biggest banks and financial services companies.

2. How do you know Sony knew the extent of the breach the day it happened? Maybe they saw some evidence, and shut it down at the first sign of trouble. If I were a multimillion dollar company, I probably wouldn't go shooting off press releases before I actually knew what was going on.

3. Can we not forget there is a group of people (or even one person) that caused all this? Caused millions of dollars in damages to Sony, which will no doubt not affect anyone at the top, but ruin the lives of people lower on the chain? You know, there are actual 'bad guys' involved here.

1. PSN went unhacked for what, 5 years? If the security were that bad, it would have gotten hacked sooner. Think about all the services you know that were started 5 years (or more) ago and how many times they've been breached, hacked or compromised. It happens even to the biggest banks and financial services companies.

2. How do you know Sony knew the extent of the breach the day it happened? Maybe they saw some evidence, and shut it down at the first sign of trouble. If I were a multimillion dollar company, I probably wouldn't go shooting off press releases before I actually knew what was going on.

3. Can we not forget there is a group of people (or even one person) that caused all this? Caused millions of dollars in damages to Sony, which will no doubt not affect anyone at the top, but ruin the lives of people lower on the chain? You know, there are actual 'bad guys' involved here.

I stand corrected!

I don't think it's unreasonable to lose some trust in a company after they've been compromised. It's not really a "shame on you" thing, it's more like "how many more times am I going to have to reissue my effing credit card."