PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

Regardless of what this means for Sony on the large, it has definitely damaged my already hesitant use of the PS3. The only truly enjoyable experiences that I've had with the PS3 are the Move and Blu-Ray discs. Everything else (exclusive games, PSN connectivity, controller design, firmware, etc.) has been a major disappointment. This almost guarantees I will resist buying games for my PS3. Other than a RRoD (which was repaired and mailed back in less than two weeks) Xbox 360 and XBL have been fabulous for me. I cannot say the same for the PS3 or PSN at all.

being threatened by DDOS attacks and having an idiot hack into the system for users credit card information are two very different things.

besides, what could have sony done, as a business ? shut down their server preemptively to let Anonymous calm down, thereby encouraging other cyberterrorists to threaten them and possibly have what they want ?

i can understand why some people would be frustrated at sony, but they have been getting a disproportionate amount of internet nerd rage over this. self-righteous people who think they are poisoning the lives of simple consumers and costing a company millions of dollars in damage (millions that could have been spent elsewhere, like in developing the company and hiring more people) in the name of justice or the greater good.

like zircon said, there are a plethora of other organisations more worthy of anonymous's time.

I think Sony simply underestimated the current-day abilities of its customers, and how far they'd go to tinker with the toys they buy. That's not to say Sony could have prevented this, as holes aren't always known until found by someone else. But this seems like they weren't paying quite as much attention as they could have been.

Rest assured, they will be from now on though :lol:

"How dare you go after people that open a door to do possible illegal stuff on your system Sony!!!" to "How dare you let this happen to your network Sony!!!"

One should not lead to another unless your an idiot that uses security through obscurity like Sony does apparently. Chasing after people who aren't hurting anybody, while ignoring your own security issues is a tremendous mistake.

2. How do you know Sony knew the extent of the breach the day it happened? Maybe they saw some evidence, and shut it down at the first sign of trouble. If I were a multimillion dollar company, I probably wouldn't go shooting off press releases before I actually knew what was going on.

As for

One should not lead to another unless your an idiot that uses security through obscurity like Sony does apparently. Chasing after people who aren't hurting anybody, while ignoring your own security issues is a tremendous mistake.

Did I just dream up all the firmware updates Sony did? Obviously they were working toward security. Once again, 5 year record w/ no breaches, most Internet companies experience problems like this at least once.

Did I just dream up all the firmware updates Sony did? Obviously they were working toward security. Once again, 5 year record w/ no breaches, most Internet companies experience problems like this at least once.

Yes and no. The problem is they had limited lines of security. Once someone's in, that's it. There's no safe guard what so ever. They were so confident what they had in place was enough, that as soon as it was breached for the first time everything went to shit. Which is why now they have to rebuild the whole thing.

That's why they freaked out when geohotz released the key.

And most internet companies don't have the equivalent of what Sony had, and they don't wait a week to tell people if it DOES happen. The equivalent would be like Google losing usernames and passwords for everyone who uses GMail, and all of the email history for every user.. I mean, if they have their credit card information in their email. No, sorry, the example I just gave really isn't as extreme at all.

If the rumors about the Rebug issue are true, How exactly is releasing firmware updates securing the network? Like I said, thats security through obscurity which is a horribly poor practice. The only reason it seems they "havn't been hacked in 5 years" is because nobody bothered aggressively to hack the PS3 until recently. Not because Sony did a good job. The console, just like a PC, should never be fully trusted just because they think "it can't be hacked". Especially since it has been compromised in one form or another for almost a year now

Y'know, I really respect Zircon for his objective opinions, and I KNOW I'm being more subjective when I say this, but in general, I just hate Sony, and I have plenty of reasons to.

Before anyone thinks I'm just some H4x0R, pirate, scumbag, etc, I'm NOT. except with Sony. I'll explain why, and hopefully not get banned for my logic/opinion.

First and foremost, Sony's ALWAYS had a God complex. Think back:

-Sony finds out, before release, that a whole product line(Vaio laptops) had problems with their chargers and batteries(battery & charger production outsourced to separate companies). Sony releases said line ANYWAY. People's HOUSES BURN DOWN. Sony's response: "The EULA did not cover the battery or charger, OR incidental damage caused by either of the two."

-Sony BMG gets into a fight with Apple over iTunes royalties. Sony wants more, Apple literally CAN'T GIVE MORE, so declines. Sony then pulls their whole catalog from iTunes("if you won't play by my rules, then I'm taking the ball & going home"). Some rocket-surgeon at Sony figures out that if 'net-savvy people can't get their music from iTunes, that piracy might climb. In response, Sony releases a NASTY DRM Rootkit, which automatically installs upon auto-run of the affected discs. There is NO mention of said rootkit in the EULA(which is displayed WHILE the rootkit is silently installing). This rootkit opens up vulnerabilities to users' computers, and when one of the heads of Sony BMG is confronted on the subject, responds with:

"We figured most users don't know what a rootkit is, so they wouldn't care."

-In response to countless lawsuits and violated privacy laws around the globe, Sony releases a rootkit "uninstaller" which does NOT remove said rootkit. Lawsuits continue. In classic Sony style(Pun intended), they settle out of court and FINALLY release a removal tool.

-Sony releases PS3 with functionality that they end up REMOVING(as we already all know about), including backwards-compatibility & Linux.

-Sony releases PSP with hardware functionality locked out(IR transceiver , full 333 Mhz processor), advertising specs that are NOT actually accessible by the end-user.

What I'm saying here is that I'm an honorable guy, but I'm NOT about to let Sony slide when they're not going to be honorable. I use CFW on my PSP, and with that, I can convert my own, legit library of PS1 games to play on my PSP(Wip3out, anyone?). I use it as a remote control(with the IR transceiver). I run at a full 333Mhz, and I load my own(LEGIT) games from the memstick, conserving battery.

I consider myself somewhat aware of Sony's transgressions, and while I can't argue at their size, I'm not going to let them rape me just because they say they can. Am I opinionated and subjective? you bet I am. Until Sony realizes that their "might-makes-right" mentality is going to leave them beaten, I plan to continue cheering on the people who, like me, won't stand for consumer abuse.

All that said, it sucks that someone could violate Sony's legit users as they have. I'm glad I don't have any personal info stored with Sony, but if they'd taken the honest route with GeoHot, I'd speculate that this mess wouldn't have happened to begin with. Let tinkerers tinker. If you lump me in with the pirates, then you make enemies across the board. Bad idea.

Incidentally, I'm pulling all of this from memory, so if I'm incorrect on any of this, please let me know. I'm not Fox News, I'll concede if I'm wrong.

Yo I own a PS3 and my HDTV is a Bravia, it's all Sony up in here at first glance. I don't HATE Sony but I've lost a lot of respect for them and the way they do business, and I hope they have a huge hit from this especially if people sue (I'm talking near bankruptcy) -- and then they will learn that security is no laughing matter.

I know that sounds harsh but that's life, and if these millions of credit card numbers are used, then it's going to be stressful for a LOT of people.

I want to pop in and say that the PS3 went unhacked for 5 years because there was no real reason for any of the people who actually can hack shit to start on it. Start from when Sony pulled OtherOS support, because that's when the hackers started in on the system.

Oh my god I bet I am going to have to make so many credit card fraud calls tomorrow about this :((((

I skimmed through the thread quickly but I didn't see anything where it said credit card numbers were stolen, only faked ones were used and not even charged since it was a dev network. At least that's what I got from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

RAHHH SONY IS SO EVIL AND THE WORST COMPANY EVER!

Meanwhile, General Electric (a way bigger company) made billions of dollars and paid absolutely no taxes at a time when the U.S. is facing a crippling deficits and our lawmakers are slashing union rights, public services and education in the name of deficit reduction.

Can we keep things in perspective?

shut up and keep the thread on topic you derailing son of a bitch.

Yo I own a PS3 and my HDTV is a Bravia, it's all Sony up in here at first glance. I don't HATE Sony but I've lost a lot of respect for them and the way they do business, and I hope they have a huge hit from this especially if people sue (I'm talking near bankruptcy) -- and then they will learn that security is no laughing matter.

I know that sounds harsh but that's life, and if these millions of credit card numbers are used, then it's going to be stressful for a LOT of people.

Super Bravia Bros.

has anyone pointed out that indefinitely is spelled wrong in the topic yet

I love you so much Bleck.

Security through obscurity is a good FACTOR of overall security (added confusion makes it more difficult and longer to hack), however having it be one of your only means of security is a total joke.

I want to pop in and say that the PS3 went unhacked for 5 years because there was no real reason for any of the people who actually can hack shit to start on it. Start from when Sony pulled OtherOS support, because that's when the hackers started in on the system.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: you never, ever fuck with Linux users. Not ever. That's like taking away the food of a starving, rabid wolverine that you have trapped in the corner...and you're wearing a bikini.

Let tinkerers tinker. If you lump me in with the pirates, then you make enemies across the board. Bad idea.

"Your ideas intrigue me and am interesting in your publication."