PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

I'll agree that there's a big difference between putting Mario on your PSP and whatever it was that forced Sony into locking down it's entire network.

But What WAS the difference? Or, more precisely, what was the REAL cause for locking down?

From my own digging on the 'net, I've only been able to confirm one thing:

-The Playstation Store was extremely compromised by people spoofing their PS3s to look like DevKits to the network, allowing access to stolen content.

I've tried to find someone other than Sony claiming access to consumer identity data, and I haven't seen it. While that doesn't mean that it should be ruled out completely, I tend to believe that Sony's crying wolf in an attempt to get the masses on their side--face it, their public image isn't exactly golden right now. The thing that pisses me off is that they so easily could've been honest about it, saying "we think that people are pirating the stuff that we work our asses off to deliver. BRB."

As a consumer, I feel like Sony insults my intelligence every single chance they get.

I don't know if I buy that they're trying to gain sympathy by telling people that their private information may have been compromised. I don't know what masses they're trying to win over with that.

I would think admitting that kind of thing would be damaging and unfavorable to customers and shareholders alike.

I would say sensationalism can more easily carry blame. If I were Sony, and I said that some hackers got a few days' worth of free store access, I'd look like a dolt for not implementing security, and pirates will be pirates.

However, if I said that some hackers stole CC info, even if it wasn't true, those hackers look more like villains. Instead of 'just' being pirates, they're suddenly identity thieves.

Besides, how many of these breaches have occurred in the past couple years(between banks, cellphones, facebook/myspace)? After a while, it becomes par for the course. Once people think that their data is at risk, the ensuing witch-hunt would steal attention from Sony's own ineptitude. Along those lines, if no one comes forward saying their identity was stolen, then the whole thing blows over, and Sony can start planning their next scheisty move.

I KNOW I'm speculating, and I know I don't have proof, but I feel it makes sense. Until someone DOES show proof of compromised customer data, it's an easy target for Sony to pin the blame on, without having to take accountability for it.

--Edit:

Also, think about Sony's recourse so far: if they really felt that their paying customers had been violated to such an extreme extent, don't you think there'd be more aggressive actions taken than just a shutdown? These are the same guys who managed to subpoena IP addresses for anyone who even SAW their precious keys, for chrissakes. I don't know, I just think it smells really fishy.

The PSN shit has made me finally get my passwords inline. I'd been using crappy passwords I don't care about across sites I don't care about, but I used the same master password for the PSN, Gmail, Facebook, bank accounts etc. which was just stupid, really. Especially since I use the same username or my email is my username depending. I'm now using a different password for every major website I use that contains sensitive data so that I don't have to go and change every single password I have should one website get compromised. It also prevents my account from all being laid open should one site get hacked. I also cancelled the credit card I had used on the PSN. That wasted a few hours of my day.

I don't know if I buy that they're trying to gain sympathy by telling people that their private information may have been compromised. I don't know what masses they're trying to win over with that.

I would think admitting that kind of thing would be damaging and unfavorable to customers and shareholders alike.

They are required by law to notify their customers if their data has been compromised. It's not a case of trying to gain favors, it's a case of notifying their customers of the situation so said customers can protect themselves and their information.

They are required by law to notify their customers if their data has been compromised. It's not a case of trying to gain favors, it's a case of notifying their customers of the situation so said customers can protect themselves and their information.

I only got the Email from Sony today, but isn't better turn around expected? This has been in the spotlight for nearly 2 weeks now.

I don't have a PS3 therefore I don't play games there, but I do have a PSP and have purchased games from the store via Media Go on the computer. Not the same thing as the PSN is it? As in, would my information be compromised? I wouldn't think so because I haven't received *any* notification about it.

ETA: I suppose it is the same thing, since I *just* got an email about it. Lovely.

Yeah yeah yeah everybody's a comedian.

As for your question: Normally you'd be able to access your billing info from the "Account Management" section of the PSN tab. Of course you'd need to be logged into the PSN to do this.

And if you ever noticed, there was a way to remove your billing info after you purchased Wallet funds. I always did this religiously. Wonder if that made any difference. Myork.

According to Sony, the credit card information was encrypted.

You know what? At this point, I'm not biting that. Don't take Sony on its word. Either show me how it was encrypted and open up your iron curtain of business and security practices (since obviously now you're changing them all anyway *wink wink nudge nudge*) or I'm going to assume that the encryption you're talking about was putting my cc number on a piece of paper with a sandwich on top of it, thinking no one would bother looking under there.

Mmm, sandwich.

I agree; I still wouldn't trust it. I was just posting the link anyway, so we could at least see what Sony was saying. I personally don't care, since for some reason, Sony wouldn't let me use my credit card for purchases on my PSP and I've been using PlayStation Network cards instead.

well seeing as there is an investigation by an external security firm going on and that sony is getting sued over this, I don't think they would lie about credit card information being encrypted, since that could put them in hot water

You'd think so. But their previous track record is far from stellar when it comes to telling the truth or being honest.

If it comes out that the information wasn't encrypted, or poorly so, then they're probably doomed.

And so far, I'd say this whole thing still smells like it did last time I posted. Sony starts witch hunt, gives vague, "you might be at-risk!" scenario, no data is actually compromised, driving people to focus on teh evul h4x0rs, while Sony moves on protecting itself. If you think about it, it's a lot like the plot to Hackers, with no big automated boats.

I STILL think it's a ruse.