PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

Some more info: apparently Sonys servers were running on old outdated software with known vunerabilitiies.

And its kinda odd they are physically moving the servers elsewhere like they were in an unsafe place to begin with.. maybe the vgcatz comic was right lol

So we have possible 3 security issues: ps3 devkit issues, old software, and physically unsafe!

You'll be glad to know the personal info was not only not encrpted but the passwords in plaintext. Fantastic.

And in a major blow to consumer rights the psn class action law suit got a ruling that big corperations can now block parties of consumers from forming together a class action suit. So they have to take them on individually now.

Isn't that great?

Roadie: considering how bad this looks on sonys part I don't think its a ruse. Maybe another factor in shutting it down but this info about sony is far more damaging

Some more info: apparently Sonys servers were running on old outdated software with known vunerabilitiies.

And its kinda odd they are physically moving the servers elsewhere like they were in an unsafe place to begin with.. maybe the vgcatz comic was right lol

So we have possible 3 security issues: ps3 devkit issues, old software, and physically unsafe!

You'll be glad to know the personal info was not only not encrpted but the passwords in plaintext. Fantastic.

And in a major blow to consumer rights the psn class action law suit got a ruling that big corperations can now block parties of consumers from forming together a class action suit. So they have to take them on individually now.

Isn't that great?

1) Where'd you get the info about the physically moving/plaintext/outdated software info?

2) I saw that blocking of class-action lawsuits too. Its about AT&T though, and is supposed to only apply to cases where arbirtration is a less costly, more effective method. Something like this is HIGHLY likely to be class action because of the vast amount of customers involved, as well as the high profile nature of the case.

Edit: found the physical moving and plaintext thing, must have not made the mental connection. I might be overlooking the outdated software thing, though. I couldn't find that.

One of the reasons I stopped bothering with Kotaku, aside from their fucked-up layout and shitty articles, is that every time I went to their site, the address would automatically detect I'm in Canada, and then amend the address to be "ca.kotaku.com/whatthelinkis", which for some reason, defaults to the top of the first page for every single link I click on.

Seriously, that's fucking annoying and no other site I have ever been to does that.

Also, the article itself says "rumor", so take it with a grain or salt or two.

One of the reasons I stopped bothering with Kotaku, aside from their fucked-up layout and shitty articles, is that every time I went to their site, the address would automatically detect I'm in Canada, and then amend the address to be "ca.kotaku.com/whatthelinkis", which for some reason, defaults to the top of the first page for every single link I click on.

Seriously, that's fucking annoying and no other site I have ever been to does that.

Also, the article itself says "rumor", so take it with a grain or salt or two.

It does that same thing for me here in America d00d, so don't feel bad.

Man, I went looking for that stuff Crowbar was talking about, and that actually frightens me.

1) Where'd you get the info about the physically moving/plaintext/outdated software info?

2) I saw that blocking of class-action lawsuits too. Its about AT&T though, and is supposed to only apply to cases where arbirtration is a less costly, more effective method. Something like this is HIGHLY likely to be class action because of the vast amount of customers involved, as well as the high profile nature of the case.

Don't worry, with the way laws are passed these days they'll amend it so we end up just having to take everything up the tail pipe.

I saw a link to this:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/30/kazuo-hirai-brief-psn-outage/

saying there's going to be a briefing tomorrow. At the bottom I saw a similar link to the Kotaku one but that actually had information in it about someone having fraudulent charges made with their credit card:

http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/28/hackers-brag-that-they-have-playstation-network-credit-card-numbers/?obref=obinsite

Just a few facts here, again, because it seems like people have a real problem being objective:

The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse has cataloged more than 800 publicly-reported thefts of personal data held by universities, medical and financial institutions, municipalities, physical retailers and online businesses since 2005. Of those 800+ breached, less than 20 are ecommerce. Translated, fewer than 2 percent of those breach case victims are online merchants.

Additionally, industry analysts say that, even in the event of a breach, there's a minimal chance that the compromised credit card data will actually be used to make an unauthorized purchase. A late-2007 study by ID Analytics, a San Diego-based identity-scoring technology developer, found less than .5 percent of stolen records are actually used. For breached databases with less than 5,000 customer records, the use rate is one in 200. For breaches with more than 100,000 customer records, the misuse rate is one in 10,000.

1. This isn't a one-in-a-million mistake that only terrible companies mistake. This happens all the time, as described above, to all kinds of businesses and institutions. Stop acting like Sony is the devil. Can we again remember that the people that are going to suffer for this aren't the top Sony executives, but the people lower down on the ladder? And their families? Everybody sneering about how Sony deserved this, or that they were "taught a lesson", doesn't know how a giant multinational megacorporation works. If the last few years have shown us anything, you could literally be responsible for almost destroying the economy of the entire world and experience no negative consequences. The people at the top never get punished.

2. One or two people (or even one or two hundred) doesn't indicate that the numbers were stolen. According to the Wikipedia article on identity theft, the rate of theft in the general population of the the U.S. was 4.6% in 2005. Let's say it's 1/4 of that today (conservative), or 1.15%. The U.S. population is 311,259,000. This means that, on average, over 4.6 million people experience identity theft - with or without PSN. Now, cross-reference that with the PSN userbase. Inevitably, a substantial number of people who use PSN will also experience identity theft just as a matter of course, independent of the breach. You can't then point at ANY PSN USER (of 77 million) with fraudulent charges and say "that was PSN" given that they all have about a 1 in 100 chance of having their card fraudulently used anyway.

What gets me is back when i used the network i thought to myself "why dont they allow payment through paypal?"

If they had done so we wouldn't have this situation atm, all we'd have is "hackers have personal information of all users"

Which lets face it isnt as much of a big deal

But its too late to look at the what could of been's

Sony will escape this whole thing somehow and It'll be down the consumers to be vigilant, and the hackers will disappear into the night never to be heard of again

Many of the playstation network users will be wary to use their credit cards with the system and hopefully make it easier to get psn cards seeing as i haven't seen around my local game shops

Which lets face it would of been a much safer option to begin with, playstation network cards which you set up to your username and can be topped up at game shops.... sony pay attention to my ideas, these are fffing gold.

make it easier to get psn cards seeing as i haven't seen around my local game shops

You don't have any big box retail stores like Best Buy or Walmart/Target near you? They generally carry all types of cards; including PSN cards which I've only ever used on the PSN. Strangely enough for those that buy cards for Ragnarok Online they can only be found at Target shops as far as I know; and I don't even know why that is.

Also with the tentative date of May 3rd supposedly being the day that the PSN returns, if with minor functionality, it'll be a good time to be ready to quickly change your account information just in case.

It'll just be business as usual for me once it returns, Pac-man and jrpgs lol

You don't have any big box retail stores like Best Buy or Walmart/Target near you? They generally carry all types of cards; including PSN cards which I've only ever used on the PSN.

Living in the U.K but maybe they do, just don't advertise them well enough

But what i've seen their hard to find but maybe thats just me being blind.

hum, so MANY other can companies get hacked and/or are complete morons so its okay if Sony is too?

I don't know how that makes it any better honestly :/

Sony fits into the crowd of big corporations that have funds to do good security, but choose not to. Now even the best can be hacked, but not encrypting your customers data is completely different failure. Even if they got hacked, if the data was encrypted it would of been no use (well, for a while at least). Saving passwords in plaintext is something even I know how to do better, and I have no security training. There really isn't an excuse for it.

Don't get me wrong, the people that did this are not on anybodies side: they are theives. Not pirates, not homebrewers/hackers, not consumer advocates, etc etc. They are just plain THIEVES. Their actions have no defense, they are doing this to make money off the suffering of others. They (or people who have at least claimed to do it) are trying to sell the DB as we speak. They are true scum.

But all companies, big or small, need to definitely look into their security practices to avoid such disasters as this. Its a shame it DOES happen all the time, but it shouldn't.

And of course, this being a video game related site, and Sony being one of the big 3 console manufacturers, you are going to get a lot more ire against Sony here than some other random company who was hacked

Also: Sony being the devil is a fact, but unrelated to this case.

j/k.