PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

Schwaltz: Having good games does not mean the console itself is designed well. It means the developers had to work the best they could to deal with a crippled ill put together console to make something good. There are tons of terrific games that I love on the PS2, but the PS2 itself is terrible.

I can't believe that is the best they can do.

Had it just been the service down and no extra problems like personal info being leaked, I would say that is nice of them, but after all that happened and the scares that has been going on, plus really seems a bit....small.

Out of curiosity, what would you have liked? What would've seemed... big enough?

Out of curiosity, what would you have liked? What would've seemed... big enough?

When Journey releases, make it free to download on Sony's dime for the first five days. Each end user gets something they didn't have, a great company gets some extra promotion, and Sony looks like they give a crap about their customers.

Everybody wins!

Everybody wins!

I don't see how giving Journey out for free to 70 million people is a win for ThatGameCompany!

Free playstation plus for a month, and any free games you got through it you have to pay for when it runs out... with your credit card... not gonna happen

Did you pull that out of your ass or do they actually retroactively charge people for games they got for free on Plus when their subscription ends? I call bullshit.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if those games 'deactivate'.

I don't see how giving Journey out for free to 70 million people is a win for ThatGameCompany!

Did you pull that out of your ass or do they actually retroactively charge people for games they got for free on Plus when their subscription ends? I call bullshit.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if those games 'deactivate'.

they do deactivate when your plus subscription expires

ThatGameCompany gets paid by Sony whenever someone downloads a copy. Giving all of your customers a $10 game as a result of something like this isn't a huge deal for Sony (Microsoft made Undertow free for a week following a big outage of Live service).

I despise the very idea of PS+

you get extra shit (almost all of which does not interest me) that you have to continue to pay for "keep"

I guess PS+ members do get a bit of a discount on some games, so I suppose that's okay. Well now that I think about it, if that discount is in effect during the free PS+ period that might satisfy me.

I mean overall idgaff about this whole mess so whatever

Free in-depth credit checks.

The assurance that if anything happens to your identity, Sony will pay top dollar to fix it.

Stuff like that.

That, and 5 free games

Also Sony announced 10 million credit card numbers actually stolen

Which is probably about the number of people who put their CC info into the PS3

I'm going to go as far as to say 99.99% of PSN users who used CC had their number stolen

Next week they'll be like "It was 20 million"

Also Sony announced 10 million credit card numbers actually stolen

Which is probably about the number of people who put their CC info into the PS3

I'm going to go as far as to say 99.99% of PSN users who used CC had their number stolen

Next week they'll be like "It was 20 million"

You seem to have overlooked key words like "MAY" and "COULD HAVE" while reading Kotaku's article (at the time I linked it anyway, Luke seems to be on an editing spree to cover up his horrible journalism).

One of the commenters put it real well:

What a disgrace, This conference happened 24 hours ago, saying that [the credit card data was] encrypted and that there's no evidence that they were taken, and then a full 24 hours later, this bull story comes out based on no actual facts.

Why don't you quote actual sources!!!!!!!

Shame on you, Luke Plunkett. Recycling news stories. Tsk tsk.

Do PSN+ subscribers get free game downloads in the form of sales (e.g., free PSOne games occasionally, etc.), or just exclusive games that most of the world doesn't care about?

There are some "Free games" that you can download and enjoy for only the entirety of your subscriptions activity. So when it runs out, they deactivate. The main draw of PS+ is the discounted prices for many items on the PS store and early access to betas and demos. There are also wallpapers and stuff.

"Account details" != "credit card information"

And no, I'm pretty sure "could have been" means exactly that. What would you expect them to say? The info WAS stolen when they don't know either way? That would be even stupider.

So they're revising to say 10 million instead of 77 million people lost their info? Or are you just making stuff up?

They wouldn't mention 10 million people losing account details when we all know it was 77 million, unless they were credit card details......

Let me clear up a few things.

* 77 million users personal data(Name, Address, Telephone number, etc) WAS DEFINITELY compromised. I don't think anyone is denying this up to and including Sony.

* 10 million users credit card info MAY have been compromised but there is no evidence to confirm.

* 3-Digit Security Code info definitely WAS NOT obtained.

Brandon, you stated that Sony had announced that 10 million users Credit Card data WAS DEFINITELY obtained. That never happened.

As for zircon possibly mixing up the CC data user count and the personal data user count, maybe he did.

- Now Kotaku (lol) is reporting that another attack this morning has apparently caused Sony to take down their Sony Online Entertainment "Station.com" service (I don't even know what that is, apparently it's an online portal for PC games such as EverQuest). As with the PSN attack, the media is claiming Credit Card data may have been/was compromised; no doubt to hang onto the huge amount of traffic any article related to TEH HACKING OF SONEH/UR CREDIT CARD IS STOLE generates.

So yeah, if this one turns out to have compromised CC info, don't act like I have to eat my hat. This is a different attack from the PSN hack.

Sony's security problems continue to mount, as Sony Online Entertainment reveals that the personal information of 24.6 million SOE accounts and more than 12,700 credit card numbers may have been compromised in the massive attack that brought down the PlayStation Network late last month.

Wait, this is a new UNIQUE attack?