PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

One thing I do know, is that many Credit Card Company issuers are probably pro-actively closing down accounts that use PSN as a precaution against future fraud. I know this because it's in the plans where I work to do so. That pretty much sucks in itself. Not to say I have any idea of anything like that was actually compromised.

So yeah, if this one turns out to have compromised CC info, don't act like I have to eat my hat. This is a different attack from the PSN hack.
Wait, this is a new UNIQUE attack?

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/playstation-3/news/sony-announces-user-data-stolen-from-soe-servers/a-20110502172027553006/g-20060314115917309058

No, it is the part of the same attack.

I understand zircon's position on this, but trying to calm the fervor and point out how these people who might have had their info leaked, who are frustrated, scared and sometimes even paranoid, are wrong is not a smart idea. Calling them childish for jumping a bit too far in the over-concerned category is also definitely not called for. What do you expect, Andy? I'm upset over this too. And despite what may or may not have been confirmed, it is always my plan to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Whether or not Sony is "evil" in the end is irrelevant: I know that I won't be purchasing another console or piece of software for PC from them after this. And free PSN+ doesn't seem like a lot to make up for it: I had no interest in PSN+ in the first place, and I'm not sure how many people did.

The fact that SOE is now involved in the breach indicates that they're still not sure of the entire scope of this thing. You'd think that anything tied into the compromised system would be completely shut off. If it wasn't, Sony was being stupid. If it was, that indicates a much larger breach and could point to a coordinated effort potentially involving people within Sony. Their most effective deterrent to PSN infiltration thus far had seemed to be the "black box" style of just not revealing how stuff works.

In any case, I will laugh so hard if they try to offer PSN+ to SOE folks that had their information potentially compromised.

I understand zircon's position on this, but trying to calm the fervor and point out how these people who might have had their info leaked, who are frustrated, scared and sometimes even paranoid, are wrong is not a smart idea. Calling them childish for jumping a bit too far in the over-concerned category is also definitely not called for. What do you expect, Andy?

What? When did he say it was childish on being careful and dealing with the possibility of having your CC information stolen?

I know that I won't be purchasing another console or piece of software for PC from them after this.

Now this is downright silly if it's just because they failed to protect information, can't help it if the whole operation has a margin of human error regardless of how huge or small it is. Reminds me of the irrational/self-righteous hatred Microsoft got during the 90's. "OH HOW I HATE THEIR SCUMMY PRACTICES BUT GAWD I NEED MICRSOFT WORKS FOR THIS PAPER!"

Sure it's not the same with Sony, but for those that depend on their products or enjoy the games that only ever appear on the Playstation systems, I've got better things to do than short-change myself on something I enjoy to than "sticking it to the man" in the name of a niche group's beliefs. You're welcome to do so though if that's something that matters to you though.

At least this way there's a lesser chance of discovering that a certain title is no longer sold/printed and only available in eye-gouging prices on ebay or amazon.

I will laugh so hard if they try to offer PSN+ to SOE folks that had their information potentially compromised.

Curiously what's scary about this when the same information is readily available where ever you're ask to put in name, birthday information, address, telephone and the usually optional input email address? Hell even your own friends know this, who's to say they wouldn't divulge the same info; accidentally or maliciously?

I know I'm not because I wouldn't give a damn if some goon suddenly discovers my birthday or address.

As for the "apology gift" from Sony, I would have preferred the voucher idea I gave earlier but hey I don't lose anything from it either. I'll be able to try some games I wouldn't have looked or bothered other wise, like Mass Effect being available for download for free; assuming it's free/becomes free for PSN Plus users like some of the other games.

Besides, the SOE folks will most likely get something different, especially if they just stick to PC gaming or just don't have a PS3.

"Free PS+" is not a legitimate offering. Because, as we all know, it only offers lowered prices on things that you'd still have to buy.. with your credit card... not gonna happen.

The "free" games would deactivate after a month and you could no longer play them.

So essentially Sony's offering will be for all people who had their private info stolen, here's a few wallpapers that are ps+ exclusive. Enjoy.

...or do the wallpapers deactivate too?

Sony's response to congress: We ain't comin to ur hearing

One thing I do know, is that many Credit Card Company issuers are probably pro-actively closing down accounts that use PSN as a precaution against future fraud. I know this because it's in the plans where I work to do so. That pretty much sucks in itself. Not to say I have any idea of anything like that was actually compromised.

wait, whole accounts?

not just cards?

you don't even use account numbers with PSN

I understand zircon's position on this, but trying to calm the fervor and point out how these people who might have had their info leaked, who are frustrated, scared and sometimes even paranoid, are wrong is not a smart idea. Calling them childish for jumping a bit too far in the over-concerned category is also definitely not called for. I know that I won't be purchasing another console or piece of software for PC from them after this. And free PSN+ doesn't seem like a lot to make up for it: I had no interest in PSN+ in the first place, and I'm not sure how many people did.

For my part, I'm not upset that people are frustrated at their data beng compromised. I'm frustrated that they don't get their facts straight before they raise their pitchforks in the air and repeat bogus headlines that turn out to be glorified and false. If telling someone who posted on here that saying 'Sony announced that credit card data WAS DEFINITELY compromised' was stupid and that they're playing right into Kotaku's little paranoia machine is wrong, then I don't want to be right. So far all that has been confirmed is that Sony fumbled with our names, addresses, telephone numbers and birthdates (all our PSN login informaton). SOE's breach apparently only had less than 1,000 active credit card numbers compromised. NO PSN USERS Credit Card data has been confirmed to be compromisd. Again, I say we wait til that is verified (by a governent agency, if you dont trust the devil company Sony) before vowing never to use their products again. Then again, who am I to tell you what to do?

"Free PS+" is not a legitimate offering. Because, as we all know, it only offers lowered prices on things that you'd still have to buy.. with your credit card... not gonna happen.
We've managed to come up with a surefire list of compensations Sony can afford to these jilted users to ease their frustration:

•Cause the upcoming system update to make a box of adorable puppies come out of the user's television. Aww' date=' who could be mad now?

•Allow each PSN user to just run through the PlayStation Store, grabbing everything they want for free for exactly one minute, Supermarket Sweep style.

•Just give each user like, $20. Like we've always said: A Jackson makes the problems go away.

•Do the puppy box idea and the $20 idea. That's what we like to call synergy, folks.

•Make the PSN freer? (We're still workshopping this one.)[/quote']

PSN cards that go for $10, $20, & $50 work just fine with me on the PSN when it was up. In fact they use PSN Plus cards for their pay system throughout the PSN.

Too lazy to go to a shop to buy some, order the cards from Amazon or any other online shop that would sell them. No credit card needed :lol:

These cards are in fact why I'm rather apathetic on someone trying to get my info on the PSN, or from Sony all together; no need for my credit card tied to anything online.

The "free" games would deactivate after a month and you could no longer play them.
That's why you should be selective and choose what interests you and try it out. If you like it enough to want to keep playing again and again then by all means support the content creators!
So essentially Sony's offering will be for all people who had their private info stolen, here's a few wallpapers that are ps+ exclusive. Enjoy.

...or do the wallpapers deactivate too?

I can't recall one wall paper worth paying for on PSN or at all on the internet nor know anybody that does; do you actually pay for such content? I have nearly the entire internet to provide me superior wallpapers or exact replicas. All I'd need is my mp3 player or the good ole usb stick to transfer it over. :wink:

As for privacy, it's about as private as your information that you use here as far as I'm concerned. All I or any one else has to do is dig much deeper beyond PSN :lol:

Let me reference another post I made detailing the data breach on Gawker Media(Kotaku's parent company).

The article linked within is very good reading for anyone participating in any debate on this issue.

As I see it, these attacks are nothing more than terrorism. Group A decides Group B is offensive and wants to humiliate them on the world stage. Sounds very familiar, doesn't it?

Was it the hackers intention to steal PSN users personal data and credit card information? Highly doubt it.

Who was worried about the PlayStation Network's security before the hackers decided to focus an attack on it? How many people were stymied about traveling via airplane directly after 9/11?

I guess terrorism works.

OK, I was exaggerating a bit. My point was that it's childish for people to lash out without facts, propagate rumors, barely comment on the hackers themselves, and so on. We should pride ourselves on being objective, rational and clear-thinking. How often have we (gamers) gotten upset because some group out there says video games are bad? We scoff, and say they're just being emotional, they're jumping to conclusions, and they're ignoring the facts, or something to that effect. But when it comes to something that WE don't like, we act the same way (or worse.) So you tell me, does that sound mature?

A $10 PSN card would sound like a good idea until you realize a $9.99 game after tax is $10.59

I don't see the problem though as I pretty much assume there would be some taxes like any other shop. Unlike the wonky system of wii/xbox points the real denomination of money makes more sense. I know at least how much exactly am I using and wont be left with a strange number of points where I can't do anything with it. At least with change I could just add on to it later on and it will most likely help pay whatever future purchase I make; much like Steam's Wallet system.

also unless you have cash already in the PSN wallet, just assume you'd need the $20. :wink:

We're in the digital age where hackers literally make a living hell for every person running Windows, we've come to expect the barrage of attacks from them on a daily basis. A company getting hacked is no unique story, but a company getting hacked while not having sufficient security and losing 77 million peoples' details is. It's not that nobody acknowledges people hacked a server. The problem is that they were able to get into both of Sony's servers in a single attack and get the info for every PS3 user..

As for the money debate, If you want a 800 point game on Xbox or Wii, you get a 800 point card.. you aren't left with change and you're not charged any kind of tax.

We're in the digital age where hackers literally make a living hell for every person running Windows, we've come to expect the barrage of attacks from them on a daily basis. A company getting hacked is no unique story, but a company getting hacked while not having sufficient security and losing 77 million peoples' details is. It's not that nobody acknowledges people hacked a server. The problem is that they were able to get into both of Sony's servers in a single attack and get the info for every PS3 user..

As for the money debate, If you want a 800 point game on Xbox or Wii, you get a 800 point card.. you aren't left with change and you're not charged any kind of tax.

Nice to see you've toned down your rhetoric compared to your earlier post. You're right that people ought to care about certain events like 77 million people having their details left on PSN made publicly available. That said, the very same people need to look at it with a calm perspective rather than mobbing up irrationally.

Again while such a release of information looks appalling, what exactly is dangerous about that info being shared in the end of it all? Now if it was a bank where things like social security information, credit card information, I can see every right for people to be scared shitless and demand real compensation and support free of charge.

PSN not so much

As for the point system versus real money issue, I suppose it just boils down to preference.

That is a valid point...except that a majority of games on XBLA are 1200 points, and Microsoft only lets you buy 800, 1600, or 4000 point cards. Plus all games and DLC are bought with points...except Games on Demand (Xbox and 360 titles) which can only be purchased with $USD. So the points thing is actually kinda crappy.

Boy, a company starts bleeding and everyone runs up to suck up the blood.

Playing right into the hackers hands.

"They had bad security because they got hacked."

"They mishandled your personal information. Take legal action against them."

"Never buy anything from Sony again."

Anyway, in a letter to the House of Representatives, Kaz Hirai announced that Sony apparently found a file that had been uploaded onto the system (apparently part of the "SOE" attack) that stated: "Anonymous: We Are Legion". The plot thickens.

Sony also stated they believe the attacks on PSN were in fact designed with the ultimate goal of the personal data, which I don't believe is the case.

Anyway, in a letter to the House of Representatives, Kaz Hirai announced that Sony apparently found a file that had been uploaded onto the system (apparently part of the "SOE" attack) that stated: "Anonymous: We Are Legion". The plot thickens.

Sony also stated they believe the attacks on PSN were in fact designed with the ultimate goal of the personal data, which I don't believe is the case.

That letter says they're also offering complimentary theft identity theft protection services. To what extent? This is the first time I've heard anything of this, and that's quite appreciated imho.

My choice to buy or not buy Sony stuff is my own. It's the same deal with Activision with me: I really don't support some things.

What did you expect from something this high profile? People want a piece of it. Most people who want things legitimately are the ones who want fraud and credit protection.

Also that Anonymous thing, if true, doesn't really mean much. The association with anon is loose, and anyone could have claimed to be them. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but I wouldn't take that at face value either.