PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

That letter says they're also offering complimentary theft identity theft protection services. To what extent? This is the first time I've heard anything of this, and that's quite appreciated imho.

Hopefully it's something more than the links to the credit bureaus and reminder that we're entitled to a free credit check they've already 'provided'.

Let's hope this is included in the yet-to-be-announced portion of the "Welcome Back" services.

Also that Anonymous thing, if true, doesn't really mean much. The association with anon is loose, and anyone could have claimed to be them. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but I wouldn't take that at face value either.

I agree with this.

To my knowledge nobody's charged anything illegally on our card, and I'm a sucker for games and blu-rays, so meh. I won't trust them with the card again but I'm not gonna stop playin' games and watchin' blu-rays.

Also that Anonymous flag could have easily been left in the Sony system from a previous attack and gone un-noticed.

Also that Anonymous flag could have easily been left in the Sony system from a previous attack and gone un-noticed.

While not impossible, this seems unlikely, because servers have extensive access logs.

While I agree that that file could've been left by anyone claiming such, Sony also said in their letter that the intrusion was made possible because so many of it's resources were already occupied combatting DoS attacks which anonymous was responsible for. So whether or not they were directly responsible for the attack, and whether or not it was on purpose, they did in some way aid the intrusion.

Again, this is all he-said-she-said until anyone says otherwise.

Again, this is all he-said-she-said until anyone says otherwise.

Unfortunately for Sony, Sony's customers and Anonymous(the greater organized body of hackers/activists, if "they" are innocent as they claim to be,) the real perpetrators are out there feeling the least of the brunt of their actions. They're probably laughing at how they've managed to play everyone against eachother.

- Sony's customers angry at Sony for their "flawed" security. Sony customers angry at "Anonymous" for compromising their personal data.

- Sony suspicious of the hackers (claiming to be "Anonymous") for infiltrating their system and compromising their customers data. Meanwhile juggling a nightmare of bad publicity and rumination.

- "Anonymous" (the greater organized body of hackers/activists claiming innocence) angry that Sony would call them out after finding the planted file.

This all works out for the real intruders.

Unless of course the truth is brought to light and they get caught.

I'm pretty sure Sony is shitting itself right now for one major reason.

I highly doubt any personal information was stolen. Why? Geohot isn't the kind of kid to steal personal information, he does what he does to be famous, not to be in jail. I met the kid while he was at RIT for a quarter, and he's not a criminal. He's just a kid who likes to hack stuff.

I'm almost dead certain Sony said that personal information was compromised to turn the tide and get the consumer base frown upon Geohot and Anonymous.

It in turn, blew up in their face, and caused consumers to cry lawsuit.

That's my theory, take it as you will.

I highly doubt any personal information was stolen. Why? Geohot isn't the kind of kid to steal personal information, he does what he does to be famous, not to be in jail. I met the kid while he was at RIT for a quarter, and he's not a criminal. He's just a kid who likes to hack stuff.

I'm almost dead certain Sony said that personal information was compromised to turn the tide and get the consumer base frown upon Geohot and Anonymous.

It sounds like you think people are saying Geohot himself did this.

Also, you think Sony announced it had lost all it's customers personal information so they could gain sympathy?

This was mentioned very early in this thread before and I still don't get why that would make sense. I'd be stupified if they gained more sympathy than they've gained scorn from that development.

When do you guys think we'll get the unadulterated truth on this whole debacle, if ever?

When do you guys think we'll get the unadulterated truth on this whole debacle, if ever?

If it ever does come out, there's no stopping conspiracy theorists, people with irrational hatred towards others forming accusations, grand-standing politicians who have nothing better to do, a company with a chronically poor public relations issue, ignorant masses quick to jump onto what's popular from shitting upon everything beyond recognition.

That said, I'm still having fun on the PS3, playing games I've purchased disk copies for, watching my blu-ray discs and flicks I've downloaded off the Internet sans commercials and annoying sign-in prompts within a replaced, much larger hard-disk drive; as well as using a range of custom PS3 themes that I occasionally change that embodies my love for a certain shmup with a huge cast of characters.

I'm sure they would enjoy it too if they could and chose to as well.

Seriously I rather enjoy it than listen to people spitting vitriol at each other beyond the OCR forums. Here at least there SOME modicum of reasoning.

I'm pretty sure Sony is shitting itself right now for one major reason.

It in turn, blew up in their face, and caused consumers to cry lawsuit.

That's my theory, take it as you will.

i take it as you're probably the stupidest poster outside of zeality i've ever seen. good job considering this is the only post from you i've ever seen

i take it as you're probably the stupidest poster outside of zeality i've ever seen. good job considering this is the only post from you i've ever seen

Hence why I said take it as you will. It's just food for thought, not fact, just opinion. And just because this is "the only post" from me you've ever seen has no bearing on anything. I have a life, and don't spend hours a day on here. I work for a living. You know some people do that, especially when they have student loans to pay back.

Geohot has been all over the place recently about cooking up a little payback for Sony.

Do some research before you become an immature dolt, and start flinging insults.

Hence why I said take it as you will. It's just food for thought, not fact, just opinion. And just because this is "the only post" from me you've ever seen has no bearing on anything. I have a life, and don't spend hours a day on here. I work for a living. You know some people do that, especially when they have student loans to pay back.

Geohot has been all over the place recently about cooking up a little payback for Sony.

Do some research before you become an immature dolt, and start flinging insults.

suck it. geohot is in no position to give anybody "payback". have you been following the issue at all? he got out of litigation through a settlement the terms of which aren't entirely disclosed.

you really think he's going to turn around and hack psn? you really think he has the capability to even do so? hacking one piece of hardware (console architecture) != hacking an entire network. use a little fucking common sense and maybe you won't come to asinine conclusions

That letter says they're also offering complimentary theft identity theft protection services. To what extent? This is the first time I've heard anything of this, and that's quite appreciated imho.

And here we go.

Yeah, as for PSN being back up: I've heard that some people are able to get on while others can't. Either way, it's not officially back up yet, but will be very very soon.

And here we go.

Yeah, as for PSN being back up: I've heard that some people are able to get on while others can't. Either way, it's not officially back up yet, but will be very very soon.

Oooooo, I was hoping it would be something along these lines. A few months back my insurance company had their database compromised and I got something very similar from the same security company.