PSN is Back!!! - LulzSEC hacked by someone else. TROLOLOLOLOL

Brushfire

geohot is an engineer and hardware hacker, not a network hacker. Completely different fields.

One is sometimes completely legal and beneficial to hobbyists, one is ALWAYS illegal and isn't beneficial in any sort of way.

geohot's payback involves joining boycotts. Stealing peoples personal data and possibly credit card data isn't any sort of payback, its just criminal activity.

Hes publicly stated he has nothing to do with this, regardless, because there are a lot of people who for some reason think hes involved.

Did... did he just use the "I have a life" card?

Oh wow, it's like the GameSpot forums all over again.

Hey now no need to bash his blowup doll fetish. :lol:

Will say the year long protection program is pretty nice.

Shame there's going to be another attack, assuming that link BF holds true, though I don't see how they'd benefit this time around.

suck it. geohot is in no position to give anybody "payback". have you been following the issue at all? he got out of litigation through a settlement the terms of which aren't entirely disclosed.

you really think he's going to turn around and hack psn? you really think he has the capability to even do so? hacking one piece of hardware (console architecture) != hacking an entire network. use a little fucking common sense and maybe you won't come to asinine conclusions

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I came on here and directly insulted you. My apologies.

I mean, I must have directly insulted you to make you act like a little child with a big stick.

Let's be mature adults here, this isn't a forum for arguing and being pompous, it's a forum for discussion.

Says the guy that pulled the "I have a life" comment. Never mind that your original position was wrong to begin with.

And if you knew anything about Nekofrog, it's that he goes straight for the jugular. Like, a laser beam, focused on the big vein-thingy that carries your sweet, sweet life juice, always ready to fire its laserness into it.

With precision.

Man, I miss my lasers.

this isn't a forum for arguing and being pompous, it's a forum for discussion.

first and last mistake you'll evar make

I had a life once.

It was spent playing video games all day, without a care in the world.

this.

best point ever made on this forum

in a community that honors games and vgm

this is the best life one of us can have

wish i had time to play games

son of a

I'd be surprised if your wii has connected to anything.

(joke)

My Wii can get onto PSN whenever I want. It just lags like it's on 1999 dialup.

Back on topic, there's a game coming out next week called Brink that my one buddy and I are planning on getting since it's one of those rare games that has a full co-op campaign. To get something out of it, we kind of need PSN...

This whole outage thing did make me think about something though. I love classic video games. 8-bit and 16-bit games are a little slice of heaven for me. Games these days have such a significant online component that in the future, people who buy them are only going to be able to get half of the game (or less for some games). Anything with no local multiplayer is cut off at the knees. It's really a shame.

*EDIT* Any game whose focus is largely on multiplayer, as opposed to primarily single player experiences, that is.

*EDIT* Any game whose focus is largely on multiplayer, as opposed to primarily single player experiences, that is.

Don't forget those games that required you to be online due to DRM "protection". I don't think they'd need to be on the PSN persay as they are usually multi-platform but needing to be online in general JUST to be allowed to play a game, especially if it's single-player, is ridiculous.

I'd never buy a game with online DRM protection. I realized before ever buying a net-enabled console that it wouldn't last long enough for that to be worth it. :<

I still have NES games I can play, just blow in them and plop 'em into the NES and I'm in business. :<

Even PSX / PS2 games I can play on my ps2 slim without internet worries.

Internet DRM is the worst thing to happen to media.. ever.

I'll say this once and I'll say this again. The US government (especially the military) should pay great attention to this incident. Sony may or may not have a highly secure system, but who's to say the US electric grid or the military databases are more secure? These will be the new terrorist targets, and ignoring it will result in a deathblow to our wired society.

I'll say this once and I'll say this again.

It's "I have said this once and I will say it again", damn it. The way you said it, you're contradicting yourself.

but who's to say the US electric grid or the military databases are more secure?

Eligible Receiver, that's who. Back in the late 90s, they did exactly what you're talking about: they had non-military people do whatever they could to get into everything from the CIA to the Pentagon and supposedly even the White House.

While it did take a few years for the US government to take the whole thing seriously (as well as a second round of successful attacks), they eventually did, and now the very networks you talked about are secured as much as possible. The US government, for all it's various faults, isn't stupid when it comes to making sure they aren't covered on their home territory. They secured that shit up good over the last decade.

Comparing a private company that had lacking security to the US power grid's security is apples and lemons. Because fuck oranges.

So I haven't heard anything about PSN being back up but I did hear rumors that there might be a new attack on Sony this week. What is going on? Why so much irrational rage towards Sony?

I've heard the same.

I just hope the network is up long enough for me to download Final Fantasy 8. I've been itching to play it =(

But seriously, it sucks. Sony REALLY pissed off some people out there if they're planning to attack again.