Chrono Trigger - Forest Refuge (new 2011 remix)

CC Ricers

This is a re-visit from the time The Vagrance and I collaborated on a Chrono Trigger remix... we submitted it to the judges but it didn't pass mostly because of sound quality problems. This time I'm giving it a go again, by myself. Same drum & bass genre, but different style and instruments, and a more updated feel. It's not gonna be hard to complete this one.. the arrangement almost wrote itself with the old version. Hope you enjoy it as well as people did back then.

stats.png

The source music is Secret of the Forest

Nice work! This is mix has really promising parts and some that can definitely be improved. I am digging the direction, but I think the structure, some instrument choices, and drum variations can be improved. And personally, I would love to hear the source's main theme being a little more obvious. Liked your ideas in the breakdown section too. I think your mastering is solid. Drums sound good, but for OCR they could use more variations, perhaps some more fills and more interesting fills than you have now.

It's a bit late here and I am tired, so, my apologies but this will have to do for now.

I definitely feel you on the drums, they need some switchups and fills, and maybe with different drum sounds too. But what do you think about the bass drum? Does it sound strong enough to you or is it just my headphones?

The rest of the source will continue on after the 3 minute mark, but I may be making some chord changes to accommodate.

FINALLY! I remember commenting on this years ago around when I first registered here. I still listen to the old wip occasionally.

While some of the elements are similar or borrowed from the older version, I feel like I have to treat these as two separate songs. The old has a much more airy, etherial quality to it - and was more akin to older school dnb.

This one is definitely a more contemporary dnb take and has a much drier sound.

Can't really crit at the moment, but I'll try to come back to this.

I'd still like to hear the old version finished and mastered, but it's been so long, I think that will remain a pipe dream. :/

Wow. Really. This is THE song.

For the drum, it sounds weak a little bit in my headphone. A little touch on the kick and snare should do it. And unlike the others said, the drum pattern is pretty nice, since drum and bass is the genre that the pattern look nearly always the same. But a little break could be added at some part.

I don't know if it is tindeck, but the intro sound distorted.

Otherwise, I REALLY LOVE IT. Listened two time already. Only the time I wrote this :-D

This definitely kicks ass :D

There's a single tiny thing that felt a bit awkward to me. It's the first note of the new synth you bring in at 1:27. I love the idea, but I think a bit of automation of some sort during this note could help it feel more natural. It's probably all about personal tastes, but I thought it'd be good if I told you about it.

Newb advice. Take it for what it's worth :)

Interesting fact: Some parts in your mix really remind me of the Phantasy Star Online soundtrack, I don't really know why. Ah well.

EDIT: I keep listening to this. I really love it.

Wow! For a song I've never heard of for a game that I still have yet to play, this song kicks hard ass!

I think the only thing you have to do is follow everyone's advice on the drumlineand you are set! I've never heard your older version, so I can't make any comparisons.