Ragnarok Online Character Building

Binarynova

So apparently I'm way behind but I just learned that Gravity is running an official free-to-play server. I've been off of WoW since before the Cata release but I'm feeling like playing an MMO and sadly Guild Wars 2 isn't out yet. It's been a while since I played RO, but I thought "What he heck?"

Anyway, my question is, there's always been a lot of talk about min/maxing stat builds in RO, but is that really necessary? Or can I just level up and build my characters the way I'd like? Will I just make characters completely useless if I do it myself? If it helps, I don't consider myself good at optimizing stats on my own (one of my favorite announcements for Diablo 3 is that you don't handle stat distribution anymore).

You can do whatever you want but unless you actually specialize in the area that you are and strengthen all the areas that a particular class is powerful in, well be ready to get trounced by other players that have the same class but are serious about distributing stats to make a powerful character.

However I think this is only true if you're into the competitive aspect of RO. May hold true on the PVE area as well...

Used to have an assassin cross back in the day. :lol:

If you don't want your character to end up being complete shit, yes, it is.

And you absolutely do not want to start a new character after getting to mid-level only to find out that your character is useless. Korean MMOs are notoriously grind-centric.

Stats are pretty much everything in that game. How you place your stats will seriously make or break your complete experience with the game.

GameFAQS has a lot of great faqs for helping you with maxing your stats the best way with whatever class you want.

Haha, ro nostalgia just flooded me. The game is so different now compared to when I played it.

If you don't want your character to end up being complete shit, yes, it is.

While I can understand how/why this is it always made me wonder why they bother letting you pick stats in the first place. Oh well, in a sense this is better. Less thinking, more grinding. :)

Stats are pretty much everything in that game. How you place your stats will seriously make or break your complete experience with the game.

GameFAQS has a lot of great faqs for helping you with maxing your stats the best way with whatever class you want.

Haha, ro nostalgia just flooded me. The game is so different now compared to when I played it.

To GameFAQs I go! Thanks everyone. Also, yeah the title screen music made me all nostalgic in a hurry.