Single track; FL Fun

dotaino

http://soundcloud.com/asuyuka/vnrm2-3-wip/s-Faea4

Just posting for the criticism. Track is rough and incomplete (production hasn't really been completed yet, and some of the elements aren't completely mastered), plus I'm still working on the structure of the song.

I'm posting also because I'm stumped and need an idea where to take this. :<

Thanks for the time. =)

I like what you have so far. When I'm stumped on the direction of a song I try to revert back to my influence/inspiration for the song and/or ask myself what my expectations are for the song. Do you feel the song needs a breakdown/bridge? Anything in particular as far as where you want to go with it?

The kick is weak. Really weak, work on buffing up the percussion. I love your use of orchestral samples in this(TOTALLY NOT BIASED OR ANYTHING), but they need more humanisation. The vibrophone sounding thing near the end doesn't really have any change in velocity, nor do the strings. It's rather apparent. The synth you have at the beginning has way too dramatic of a cutoff automation, as well. Tone it down. Speaking of that synth, it's abrasive, you might want to work on programming it a little better. Overall, too, this needs better transitions. The full beat, while not that badly programmed(albeit weak) only comes in for a few measures and even then it just comes out there at random. And I'd like to hear more bass.

Not a bad start, though. With better production this could be a very nice track. Change your percussion samples for real, though. They're not good sounding. Are you using FL Studio's default percussion? It sounds like it to me, but I'm not exactly sure as they're really undermixed. If so, don't. A really good sample pack for free if you're willing to edit out some clicks that keep creeping up in the samples(you get what you pay for :P) is FL Studio Mania 2. Google it. You will have to use Edison to remove clicks in some of the samples, but it's a decent sample pack for free - far better than FL Studio default samples.

The kick is weak. Really weak, work on buffing up the percussion. I love your use of orchestral samples in this(TOTALLY NOT BIASED OR ANYTHING), but they need more humanisation. The vibrophone sounding thing near the end doesn't really have any change in velocity, nor do the strings. It's rather apparent. The synth you have at the beginning has way too dramatic of a cutoff automation, as well. Tone it down. Speaking of that synth, it's abrasive, you might want to work on programming it a little better. Overall, too, this needs better transitions. The full beat, while not that badly programmed(albeit weak) only comes in for a few measures and even then it just comes out there at random. And I'd like to hear more bass.

Not a bad start, though. With better production this could be a very nice track. Change your percussion samples for real, though. They're not good sounding. Are you using FL Studio's default percussion? It sounds like it to me, but I'm not exactly sure as they're really undermixed. If so, don't. A really good sample pack for free if you're willing to edit out some clicks that keep creeping up in the samples(you get what you pay for :P) is FL Studio Mania 2. Google it. You will have to use Edison to remove clicks in some of the samples, but it's a decent sample pack for free - far better than FL Studio default samples.

Yeah, I'm guilty of using FL's default (Old) drum. They've seemed to have changed it to a default (New) drum as of 10, though. :<

I think I might also change the structure after around 40 seconds, it's bugging me. I think I'm changing it too quickly. Any hints for transitions (or makign them), is helpful. I'm horrid at it XD Thanks for the critic, though. :grin: The synth thingie is Nitrous PM+ with FL LovePhilter. Still working out the logistics in it. =P

As for being stuck? I'm listening to some Apop (Welcome to Earth, Eclipse) right now, to see if I can get some ideas off of it. Or VNV Nation's remix of Kathy's Song. :<

Yeah, I'm guilty of using FL's default (Old) drum. They've seemed to have changed it to a default (New) drum as of 10, though. :<

I think I might also change the structure after around 40 seconds, it's bugging me. I think I'm changing it too quickly. Any hints for transitions (or makign them), is helpful. I'm horrid at it XD Thanks for the critic, though. :grin: The synth thingie is Nitrous PM+ with FL LovePhilter. Still working out the logistics in it. =P

As for being stuck? I'm listening to some Apop (Welcome to Earth, Eclipse) right now, to see if I can get some ideas off of it. Or VNV Nation's remix of Kathy's Song. :<

Love Philter is wonderful, I'm totally an addict to it. I can vouch for it :P. Steer clear of the FL drum sets, even the new ones. They can be good in moderation and heavily filtered, but it's just too much work and not really worth it. Transitions can be done pretty easily, a drum variation, slicing a part of the percussion 1 measure before you get into the main loop, filtered white noise leading up to it... there are plenty of options.

Keep working on this!

This isn't a huge update, I'll admit it. I've been making tons of tiny changes, taking some of the ideas in mind (I've least notably tried to give the strings different velocities, most notably, I attempted a transition, changed the drums, and tried to make the synth less obnoxious :< Also, changed the vibes and gave them some standard, stereo panning. Now I know the track is too quiet to the kick drum... argh! XD)

I've been trying, though. This is around 13 saves ahead of my last post XD

Essentially, the structure is the same while I figure things out. :grin:

http://soundcloud.com/asuyuka/vnrm2-16/s-ewIdc