Most underrated games of all time

hobostev3

there are always going to be games that are overlooked for one reason or another, but I'm curious to know what peoples favorite games that have been underrated, mainly because I would like to know more good games that I may have missed.

Ill start with me two good ones that didn't get enough credit were psychonauts and beyond good and evil. both had killer stories and good gameplay but for one reason or another got snubbed.

Fragile Dreams got panned by critics but if you really get into the game, like actually collect the items and look around the environments and check for messages left by previous survivors it does a good job of sucking you into a very emotional story. Probably the only game I ever played that did a good job of capturing the emotion it wanted from the player. Even if some of the other aspects of the game weren't perfect, I say it's one of the best Wii titles just because of how unique a game it is.

X-com.

Alright, maybe calling that underrated is a bit of a stretch. X-com Apocalypse was pretty damn good, too, but many people don't like it due to the constraints it puts on you (cityscape vs worldscape, alien weaponry comes in stages rather than giving you the near top tier guns in the beginning, etc.). I'd say, if you haven't played that one yet go get a copy from Y2K games - they're selling it again, and it's awesome.

I know I'm going to get some neigh saying, but I'm actually a bit excited over the new X-com being made, as well. Unfortunately, I'll probably be forced to watch it go on the shelves without a platform to play it on :puppyeyes:.

Did I mention X-com?

X-com.

Alright, maybe calling that underrated is a bit of a stretch. X-com Apocalypse was pretty damn good, too, but many people don't like it due to the constraints it puts on you (cityscape vs worldscape, alien weaponry comes in stages rather than giving you the near top tier guns in the beginning, etc.). I'd say, if you haven't played that one yet go get a copy from Y2K games - they're selling it again, and it's awesome.

I know I'm going to get some neigh saying, but I'm actually a bit excited over the new X-com being made, as well. Unfortunately, I'll probably be forced to watch it go on the shelves without a platform to play it on :puppyeyes:.

Did I mention X-com?

oh I loved X-Com, never did beat terror from the deep though, that game could be so super hard >:(. I didn't like apocoalypse but I did only watch my cousin play it for like 5mins and I was also quite young at the time. I think the only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't like the first two, like exactly like the first two, which is quite unreasonable but hey I was pretty young at the time :/.

mischief makers, I always wanted to play that game but could never find a good copy of it anywhere. either way, back around when it first came out I remember reading about it on squaresoft's website, that is how I also found out about xenogears was on that same day. All I really remember it being about was some snobby girl with somekind of power, the rest I forget but I remember being enthralled by it.

mischief makers

Fourth'ed.

Yoshi's Island. I know it was successful when it first came out but it's always overshadowed by the other Mario games like Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and Super Mario 64. Yeah, they're fantastic but I feel that Yoshi's Island is better, at least when it comes to 2D platforming. It had a very unique visual style (looked like a crayon colored storybook). Fantastic level design that ramped up appropriately in difficulty and never got stuck. Clever bosses; where else could you fight inside of a frog's stomach or do battle with a raven or that you could potentially beat a boss before it even started? There were also plenty of secrets to find and some fantastic music to create a complete package.

I believe the X-Com series is available at Good Old Games (gog.com). DRM free and cheap with some extra downloadable goodies.

Yoshi's Island

i know what you mean about that game, the first time i played it i couldn't turn the game off.

i know a couple of the Ultima games were pretty good, im just trying to remember which ones they were :/, but there was about a thousand of them. also ultima online, was that the first MMO or was everquest?

and for pc a game called Knights of the Realm or warriors of the realm. it was pretty good, kinda like civ 3 before civ 3.

A game I can't believe I had missed, and just discovered recently is Another World (or Out Of This World, in the US). It was released and re-released for many platforms, but I got it for the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis). Man, it's an amazing game with incredible graphics for its time. Difficult though, but I'm loving every second of it.

EDIT: Also, Colonization (by Sid Meier) is one of those games few seem to have played, but I beat that game atleast a dozen times. Great great fun. I prefer it over the Civ games.

If you enjoy X-com and you bought a 3DS, do yourself a favor and get Shadow Wars for it. I have the feeling lots of people passed it by in favor of Street Fighter IV, thinking it was another generic Tom Clancy game, but despite the brand and the generic AMERICA FUCK YEAH plot, it's a surprisingly deep indepth turnbased tactical game that's totally underrated on account of not being that flashy with 3D as the other launch titles, and it's somewhat of a spiritual successor to X-com.

Not sure about all time, but defnitely this generation (for the Wii, at least) saw two fantastic, underrated games slip by despite good reviews:

Little King's Story

and

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Heck, combined, the two only sold roughly 750,000 copies worldwide. Hell, Little King's Story has yet to reach 250,000, dooming it to 'failure' status among the business types of the world.

It's a shame, because LKS (outside of an overly abrupt ending) was one of the most fantastic Wii games i've played, and the best Wii game I played in 2009; I was captivated with the game ever since I saw the charming trailer for "Project O" years ago on IGN. Beautiful, colorful, cheery, great soundtrack... I feel like i'm in that special club that actually OWNS the darn thing.

And Muramasa, despite being lots of fun, and fun to mess around exploring and using combos, the game was just beautiful. It seems to have sold better (almost half a million, and now, more than Odin Sphere), but it's hardly well-known outside of "gamer" circles.

And Muramasa, despite being lots of fun, and fun to mess around exploring and using combos, the game was just beautiful.

hi I would like you to review your usage of the word "despite"

I would like to say that I bought myself a copy last week though, despite not yet owning a wii

also also I found it neat that Odin Sphere and Muramasa are known internally as Princess Crown 2 and 3, respectively

Terranigma

I dunno if that was really underrated, so much as it was just not released in america. that game was actually very big in japan. I totally agree that that game is great though.

I only know of it because I my cousins had illusion of gaia when I was young. later on in life say mid high school I got into emulation quite a bit, even modded a forum for a site about snes emulation (which in my opinion it was the best emu site for a while before nintendo forced the owner of the site to stop). either way I mentioned illusion of gaia to people there and everyone right away told me to play terranigma.

though if we are talking about games that never made it to america that were awesome, I loved 'treasure of the rudras'. I haven't even beaten that game, but I was like 2 or 3 bosses away from it though, it was such a super long game too.