Most underrated games of all time

hobostev3

Terranigma

Yes. Definitely in my top 3 games of all time.

A game I can't believe I had missed, and just discovered recently is Another World (or Out Of This World, in the US). It was released and re-released for many platforms, but I got it for the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis). Man, it's an amazing game with incredible graphics for its time. Difficult though, but I'm loving every second of it.

And yes. Check out Heart of Darkness(Made by the same guy) for the PSX. The most graphic death scenes I have ever seen in an E rated game.

Tomba! is to Sony what EarthBound is to Nintendo.

That is: wacky, off-beat, incredibly fun, a sales flop, and never going to be re-released due to legal issues.

Oh man, Tomba! I discovered it on that one PS1 demo disk that just about everyone seemed to have, and I played the hell out of both it and its sequel (which wasn't quite as good). I'm kind of surprised to hear it's such a collector's item now. Do you have any more info about those legal issues you mentioned?

Lots of good games mentioned here... like Gex and Tomba! for instance. But one that I have to say is StarTropics. Only released in America (until Virtual Console, that is), it's a great game that people I talk to seldom have heard of. And StarTropics II is even better.

The closest we get to any acknowledgement of the series at ALL is that Zoda's an F-Zero character. But what about Mike Jones? WHAT ABOUT HIM?!?

Oh man, Tomba! I discovered it on that one PS1 demo disk that just about everyone seemed to have, and I played the hell out of both it and its sequel (which wasn't quite as good). I'm kind of surprised to hear it's such a collector's item now. Do you have any more info about those legal issues you mentioned?

Third'ed on liking Tomba! and I as well would like to know the details of this legal dispute.

And Muramasa, despite being lots of fun, and fun to mess around exploring and using combos, the game was just beautiful. It seems to have sold better (almost half a million, and now, more than Odin Sphere), but it's hardly well-known outside of "gamer" circles.

i bought the game and I don't even own a Wii, simply to support Vanillaware. Finally managed to find a wii to play it on the other day (after sitting on my shelf in the cellophane for 6 months), and oh my GOD it is so pretty and fun and awesome and crazy

Odin Sphere and GrimGrimmoire as well. Some of the best ps2 games artistically.

Do you have any more info about those legal issues you mentioned?
I as well would like to know the details of this legal dispute.

Actually, its Wikipedia article says it's getting released on the European PlayStation Store. I gladly stand corrected if this is true.

Anyway, I was under the impression that since WPC went under, the owner of the rights to the game has been in question.

I remember Tomba...I have a demo disc with him on it somewhere. I liked that game, never really got to play the full thing. I was really small when it came out.

Anyway, my contribution,

Threads of Fate

I just really liked that game. It was something I would've totally overlooked and never heard of if not for the demos that they used to change a lot at stores. I like Rue's transformations and I liked Mint's magic. She might've been one of the first girl characters I actually tried to use on purpose.

I kind of think the game may have been a slight influence on Kingdom Hearts since it was action rpg battling with magic and it was from Square Soft.

I never actually played tomba!, but I have played the demo for tomba 2 which I thought was alright, again though it was a demo.

also I totally agree with you brandon about the NES FF games I think that ff and ff2 as far as story goes was better than ff7, which is good but I think it super overrated.

My initial response would be Pokemon the trading card game (GBC) but that's probably just because I am surprised it didn't suck. (and because I am playing it now).

Puyo Pop. Any iteration really, I just love that game and I wish there was an online versus mode in some iteration.

I can probably think of better at a more inopportune time.

^ Great game, but hardly obscure or underrated.

This, on the other hand...

Well how about Secret of Mana? I'm sure you've never heard of that one?

Great weapon and magic systems. Another awesome soundtrack.

But the character development was kind of lacking, and some of the storyline was cut out in translation.

Still a great game though, you should try it out.

combat sucked

well in comparison with SD3 anyway

I guess it was an improvement from Final Fantasy Adventure though

yes, I am facetiously having a serious conversation; bite me

while we're in this vein though, serious entry: Legend of Mana

Legacy of the Wizard will forever hold a place in my heart as my favorite game I could never* beat. Also, it's soundtrack is top notch.

(*That's how I'll remember it at least. Finally managed to do it last year.)

^ Great game, but hardly obscure or underrated.

This, on the other hand...

You're not alone: http://http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2198.html

combat sucked

well in comparison with SD3 anyway

I guess it was an improvement from Final Fantasy Adventure though

yes, I am facetiously having a serious conversation; bite me

while we're in this vein though, serious entry: Legend of Mana

I never could get into Secret of Mana. Controls were kluuutzy, and the collision system didn't quite work. SD3 was marvelous, though, and more people need to play.

And then Legend of Mana. That game had two fantastic storylines, one minorly what-in-the-world-is-happening one, a bunch of smaller yet still beautifully intertwined ones, and then the main one... which is all of ten minutes of the game's plot. But still a fantastic game. It'd help, I guess, if people pushed back the opening quests, since those are all there to introduce the characters and get you kick-started on the various systems in the game. But then you start seeing the Geo plot unfold... and it's all downhill from there. :3