Most underrated games of all time

hobostev3

I never could get into Secret of Mana. Controls were kluuutzy, and the collision system didn't quite work. SD3 was marvelous, though, and more people need to play.

And then Legend of Mana. That game had two fantastic storylines, one minorly what-in-the-world-is-happening one, a bunch of smaller yet still beautifully intertwined ones, and then the main one... which is all of ten minutes of the game's plot. But still a fantastic game. It'd help, I guess, if people pushed back the opening quests, since those are all there to introduce the characters and get you kick-started on the various systems in the game. But then you start seeing the Geo plot unfold... and it's all downhill from there. :3

Also, No Future mode.

how about legend of legaia, anyone remember that one? It was actually my first ps1 game, there are some things I hated about it though. all that I really hated was the money system, because you get so very little from fighting. the fighting system was very unique and pretty cool towards the end of the game.

Here, let me make you a handy list:

• ALL GAMES BY CAVE (Multi) - Why people don't love all these is beyond me...

• Armored Core-series (Multi) - Giant robots fighting. Fast.

• Bloody Roar-series (Multi) - Beast-transforming fighter.

• Bombastic (PS2) - the best puzzle game in the world, remake of Devil Dice/Xi.

• Culdcept Saga (360) - Monopoly meets Magic: the Gathering.

• Flipnic: Ultimate Pinball (PS2) - Super clever pinball from Capcom. Great design!

• Gitaroo Man (PS2) - Still the smartest control system in music games.

• Jade Cocoon (PS1) - Enchanting RPG, great music, mood and gameplay.

• Roll Away/Kula World (PS1) - Smallest print run ever, great Swedish puzzler!

• Shadow Hearts-series (PS2) - Some of the best JRPGs ever made. So lovable!

• Tomba! (PS1) - Well, yeah, you know.

• vib-ribbon (PS1) - Extremely smart music game using your own CDs.

how about legend of legaia, anyone remember that one? It was actually my first ps1 game, there are some things I hated about it though. all that I really hated was the money system, because you get so very little from fighting. the fighting system was very unique and pretty cool towards the end of the game.

I was going to post Legend of Legaia, but I decided to joke about Chrono Trigger.

I agree that this game is fantastic, but I haven't touched it in years. I rented it and returned it late so I could just finish it.

Phantom Dust

NO ONE has heard of this game and it was one of my favorites ever. I shed manly tears on the day the original Xbox Live went down.

Great game! Rough and unpolished in some areas, but a lot of fun and really let you get creative. Really deserved more recognition.

Here, let me make you a handy list:

• ALL GAMES BY CAVE (Multi) - Why people don't love all these is beyond me...

• Armored Core-series (Multi) - Giant robots fighting. Fast.

• Bloody Roar-series (Multi) - Beast-transforming fighter.

• Bombastic (PS2) - the best puzzle game in the world, remake of Devil Dice/Xi.

• Culdcept Saga (360) - Monopoly meets Magic: the Gathering.

• Flipnic: Ultimate Pinball (PS2) - Super clever pinball from Capcom. Great design!

• Gitaroo Man (PS2) - Still the smartest control system in music games.

• Jade Cocoon (PS1) - Enchanting RPG, great music, mood and gameplay.

• Roll Away/Kula World (PS1) - Smallest print run ever, great Swedish puzzler!

• Shadow Hearts-series (PS2) - Some of the best JRPGs ever made. So lovable!

• Tomba! (PS1) - Well, yeah, you know.

• vib-ribbon (PS1) - Extremely smart music game using your own CDs.

1. Some people can't handle CAVE games, or rather bullet hell/curtain games like

, or
; not to mention they have a terrible habit of having nearly shit advertising and many people not understanding danmaku/bullet hell/bullet curtain games.

2. Strangely enough regarding the Armored Core series, the Front Mission series had a recent game be just like that but it absolutely tanked in sales, compared to its older much more slower paced Strategy RPG style which enjoyed a very nice success as far as I've seen.

3. I don't even think I've ever seen a Bloody Roar arcade cabinet, and I thought they were fun at a friends' place.

Never heard of 4, 5, & 6...

... It could have a PS3 sequel or awesome spin off right?

8. Only heard of Jade Cocoon but never seen it before.

9. Never heard of "Roll Away"

10. Shadow Hearts series was really overlooked.

11. Man

was only ever released in Europe and Japan as it didn't see a NA release. :? That said, when the PSN returns I'd hope to see it become a downloadable as one of the PSOne classics.

Armored Core-series (Multi) - Giant robots fighting. Fast.

/agree with this although i don't like where the series has gone since 4, it's gotten a little too fast and gundamish, i played the series up until silent line, i think it has a bit of a cult following otherwise there wouldn't be a bajillion games in the series.

Speaking of under appreciated giant mech games....CHROMEHOUNDS (which is actually from alot of the same people who brought us armored core)

it's such a shame that sega had to shut down the servers for this game it reminded me alot of older armored core games.

It might be a little slow paced for a mech game but there was alot of strategy involved.

ah i remember when i took out three base rushers with my shotgun tank ah good times...good times. i think I'm going to mourn this game a little now :(

Dunno if this has been mentioned already. A lot of Japan only releases never made it to the US and so never became main stream games. I'm not sure if those count.

Tales of Phantasia for Super Famicom (SNES) was a masterpiece, everything from the story, to the music, graphic effects (for 16 bit), and even the gameplay was half decent.

Sweet Home (Famicom/NES) was a crazy good game for an 8 bit console. The timing was actually good enough that the game was very startling and suspenseful, and it had a great dark storyline to it and interesting music.

Out of unreleased Final Fantasy games I found FF5 and FF3 to be the most enjoyable. Both those games implemented a customizable multiclass character system and had really good music. FF2 had some good tunes, but gameplay was just way too annoying (like intentionally letting characters get hurt to level their hp....)

I think I've browsed through almost every official NES release on emulator, and hate to say probably more than 99% of them aren't even worth playing, although SNES had an insane number of decent games, a lot of them really fun.

For the most part I'd say most obscure games that never because really popular were for PC. The Dune series (Dune 2 was the very first developed RTS game, which Blizzard copied heavily from). Darklands (the most historically accurate open RPG ever made, and an extremely involved and complex game, especially when it was released).

Ice Wind Dale 2 wasn't popular because it was so incredibly difficult, although it's an amazingly involved game with very intuitive player interaction with the story (for example, going into NPC's homes will actually piss them off, rather than them letting you loot their home in front of them, and evil NPC's constantly try to trick you into helping them).

Fragile Dreams got panned by critics but if you really get into the game, like actually collect the items and look around the environments and check for messages left by previous survivors it does a good job of sucking you into a very emotional story. Probably the only game I ever played that did a good job of capturing the emotion it wanted from the player. Even if some of the other aspects of the game weren't perfect, I say it's one of the best Wii titles just because of how unique a game it is.

This, to the max. I got it really cheap one day after reading a somewhat decent review about it and remembering it looking really interesting, and I wasn't dissapointed at all. Although the combat and controls weren't perfect, it made up for it with it's powerful story and atmoshpere that I was into right from the beginning and wonderful music. One of my favourite games on the Wii.

Am I the only one who thought Mega Man Legends was creepy? Yeah, I enjoyed it but WTF. Especially the invisible robots and the last boss. This is coming from a guy who prefers games like Splatterhouse and Ninja Gaiden, so you tell me.

Well those invisible slide-tackling robots creeped me out a bit when I first reached them (idk, was probably 13 or so when I played the game well enough to reach the lake temple) but overall the game wasn't too bad in that regard, the sequel definitely had some more "moments" like that (like the first time you make the mistake to shoot the cloaked robots or you step into a foot trap in the lava temple) but it's still not really all that creepy.

It's interesting though as the temples really contrasted the overall feel of the outside world - while catalox island was upbeat and happy (even the soundtrack was cheesily happy up there), you go underground and BAM smasher robot to the face out of nowhere.

I guess to sum it up really, yeah it freaked me out when I first played the game but I don't consider it that bad now, everything really has a sort of caricature art style to it, even the bosses are almost humorous in their overall form (except for final form Juno, which no one sees coming the first time they play).

uh I think you're mixing up MML 1 and 2

there are no lava "temples" in 1

I don't particularly remember what's it called, but it's the ruins where you get the second(?) key that features the huge reaverbot boss in the center that you have to lower the lava levels to prevent it from healing itself, I just remember it had these floor traps in it that freaked me out the first time I landed on one for some reason. I do know it's MML 2 though

They're just called Ruins

and the one you are thinking of is on Saul Kada Island

but yeah those floor traps are annoying as hell since they directly drain your health bar as long as you're trapped; also their placement is random so you can't avoid them by running along the walls

Final Fantasy 13 is pretty underrated imo. Its got the best, most fluid battle system in the series and since gameplay is the most important thing to me in games, the shortcomings didn't even bother me because I enjoyed what the game did right so much.

Up until 13, the thing most fans loved most about the series probably wasn't the gameplay. It was things like story, characters, exploration, etc. so people weren't prepared for how differnt the focus was for the game I guess.

Also the soundtrack is pretty underrated. Hamauzu did an awesome job imo.