Looking for a good orchestral VST

I don't understand why you're willing to spend whatever it costs to make sure this stuff works on an outdated computer--you're setting yourself up for failure here.

In the long run you will have wasted your money because you're much better off replacing your computer.

Especially if cost is no objection.

Dude, I have a 3GHz quad-core and 3GB of RAM with a 1.5TB HDD, it's a damn fast computer, and I can't do much better without 64bit. Also, I'm only 17 and my Dad built this computer for me. Unfortunately I will not be upgrading to 64bit until a lot of the programs I use become compatible with 64bit..

Dude, I have a 3GHz quad-core and 3GB of RAM with a 1.5TB HDD, it's a damn fast computer, and I can't do much better without 64bit. Also, I'm only 17 and my Dad built this computer for me. Unfortunately I will not be upgrading to 64bit until a lot of the programs I use become compatible with 64bit..

64-bit Windows runs an x86 emulation that is as good as any 32-bit version of Windows.

The only incompatibility you may encounter has to do with hardware.

Drivers are for hardware, first of all, and drivers for new hardware is fine, it's just that companies don't always go about the whole process of updating drivers for old/legacy devices.

For example, my scanner and my old Tascam audio interface, Tascam and HP no longer support these devices (I got them back in 2000, 2001 respectively) so they're not bothering to write drivers for them for Win7 x64.

That's okay, I more than make up for it by having a great machine.

Software, on the other hand, runs fine. I have versions of games and software that is only 32-bit.

And some software, like my DAW, I install as both 64-bit and 32-bit because sometimes my old plug-ins run better with 32-bit DAW than with a 64-bit DAW.

That's the only other possible incompatibility, by the way, is plug-ins, which are programs that interface with other programs.

Plug-ins that are old 32-bit plugs have to be BitBridged so that they can talk with 64-bit programs. Usually that works fine, but sometimes it can cause goofiness.

But it still doesn't beat having 16GB of RAM.

If you use FL Studio, they allow bridging now, so all of your RAM usage limits with VST's have been lifted. 64-Bit OS, GO!

But seriously, if cost isn't a problem, upgrade your RAM. Streaming from disk puts the bottleneck on hard drive read speed and you mentioned you have a 1.5 TB HDD. Is it an eco drive like a caviar green or something?

Guys... if he's getting QLSO Silver he's not going to have any performance problems. It's an old library. It was made before even Core 2 Duo was around, much less 64bit operating systems and more than 2gb of RAM on average (in fact, at the time, 2gb was considered to be pretty good.)

He's only getting Silver if he goes with your suggestion. ;)

I still push for Gold with the Close Mic upgrade.

Silver leaves no room for growth.

MOTU Symphonic Instrument is probably the best option if space (and to a lesser extent, cost) is an issue. Which (space) is kind of a silly issue to have these days since HDDs are as cheap as they are now. But anyway, MSI sounds decent, but it's by no means the best. QLSO is generally a better way to go. I actually have stability issues with FL and MSI, I usually have to run it through Kore 2.

Also, re: drivers, it's not just *old* hardware that has issues with Win7x64. Both M-Audio and Tascam still have terrible drivers for their new equipment. And over the past couple years, I've read lots of horror stories (too lazy to dig them up) about other companies/products that still have crash issues. Even though Win7 has been out for a while, and 64-bit is like standard now.

I think the Platinum is the best from east west, give mic postitions and all sorts of stuff, money is steep in the mid $800's but the space is more with 194GB of space needed, more or likely for external storage.

Pointless comment. Yes, the most expensive one that offers the most stuff is the best (surprise!) but there's no reason to get platinum unless you really think you need the 24-bit samples. Even Gold upgraded with both the close and surround mics (@dannthr, you probably have the Kompakt Player edition; the mic positions now are called Close, Stage, and Surround) is cheaper than platinum by a few hundred, bought new.

Also, re: drivers, it's not just *old* hardware that has issues with Win7x64. Both M-Audio and Tascam still have terrible drivers for their new equipment. And over the past couple years, I've read lots of horror stories (too lazy to dig them up) about other companies/products that still have crash issues. Even though Win7 has been out for a while, and 64-bit is like standard now.

Tascam is just all around not great for drivers. There are companies making software/device drivers that have no place making them and are doing a terrible job. Tascam, Focusrite, etc. Should have been sticking to hardware.

With that said, I've used my little M-Audio 2496 for years on a myriad of OSs (Win XP32 and 64 and Win7 64) and it's performed solidly!

Now, if you want a great interface with great drivers (since money is no object) would be anything from RME (especially the ones that come with RME's virtual mixer) are worth serious consideration!

24-bit vs 16-bit:

Essentially, the only thing you really get with greater bit-depth is greater dynamic range (approx +/-6dB per bit) but for Metal you're not really going to notice that increased dynamic range or be able to appreciate it, rather, and chances are you won't be able to hear it if you habitually listen to Metal music. ;)

I disagree with zircon on performance, my old computer with 1.5 GB RAM and a Celeron processor was unable to handle a single string instrument using the PLAY (free version) edition of QLSO. :/

The recommended specs for QLSO Play:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 2GB of free RAM, Windows XP SP2 or Vista, sound card with ASIO drivers

A 1.5ghz Celeron is significantly worse than a P4 3ghz, and you don't have 2gb of free RAM. Also, if I recall, your sound card drivers were giving you problems as well. I'm just saying from experience that, as someone who had a computer with those exact minimum specs, it worked fine. I've had QLSO since around the year it first came out. So, no need to stress over performance if this guy has a system that meets the specs...

Are you fucking kiding me? I cant play 32 bit Wav files on this m-audio fast track, i cant play songs if im working in my daw (cause i have to go to control panel and use my sound chip when i want to), but atleast the lathency is decent till you want to record a instument..........

im definatly getting a motu light or a focusrite saffire later.

Pointless comment. Yes, the most expensive one that offers the most stuff is the best (surprise!) but there's no reason to get platinum unless you really think you need the 24-bit samples. Even Gold upgraded with both the close and surround mics (@dannthr, you probably have the Kompakt Player edition; the mic positions now are called Close, Stage, and Surround) is cheaper than platinum by a few hundred, bought new.

the Platinum Plus ,Hollywood Strings Diamond Edition and the Composer Complete HD are the most expencive, as you said a bit steep for 24 bit files.

Now, if you want a great interface with great drivers (since money is no object) would be anything from RME (especially the ones that come with RME's virtual mixer) are worth serious consideration!

Respectfully, when I did lots of work at Scripps, they "upgraded" their interface from a MOTU MKii 828 to a RME Fireface, and I was not impressed. The software control panel was clunky and not very intuitive, things like phantom power were controlled through the software, and for whatever reason, the latency was terrible. I could run the MOTU at a 128 sample buffer (about 3ms) and the Fireface didn't seem to co-operate under 1024 without popping and crackling all the time. Not to mention, the Fireface cost about twice as much at the time they picked it up.

Sorry Dan, we're not seeing completely eye-to-eye here :)

Are you fucking kiding me? I cant play 32 bit Wav files on this m-audio fast track, i cant play songs if im working in my daw (cause i have to go to control panel and use my sound chip when i want to), but atleast the lathency is decent till you want to record a instument..........

The bit depth of audio files has nothing to do with 32 bit or 64 bit interface drivers. :tomatoface:

Respectfully, when I did lots of work at Scripps, they "upgraded" their interface from a MOTU MKii 828 to a RME Fireface, and I was not impressed. The software control panel was clunky and not very intuitive, things like phantom power were controlled through the software, and for whatever reason, the latency was terrible. I could run the MOTU at a 128 sample buffer (about 3ms) and the Fireface didn't seem to co-operate under 1024 without popping and crackling all the time. Not to mention, the Fireface cost about twice as much at the time they picked it up.

Sorry Dan, we're not seeing completely eye-to-eye here :)

We use two Firefaces and an Octamic in Control Room C at Pinnacle, they're lightning fast and are cross installed on Snow Leopard and Windows 7x64.