OCR00518 - Final Fantasy "Something Final"

orkybash

Final Fantasy 'Something Final'

Not a bad medley from CotMM, but my overall impression is that it could be a lot better. His style works well for the darker songs in the medley, but sounds out of place in songs like the Prelude or the FF7 main theme. And sorry to say it, but the transitions suck badly. Overall, it's a good listen, but not something that will be on my playlist that much.

• 4 weeks later...

I had fun writing this one.. As the ID3 states, originally I wanted

to write a slow peaceful stringshit track. That idea quickly

disolved when I realized the first chord sounded like the

overworld theme. Ideas are so fleeting sometimes. it was very quickly

downhill from there into my usual realms of laborously tweaked

distortion and destruction. One day I'll do something that is beautiful and

delicate. This would have been it, if I hadn't just gutterf*cked it

half way though. The transitions are quick and dirty.. I sort of

threw it together as I went along. "Hey, that sounds sort of line this

theme, and that one sounds like this one..." and Hey, this doesn't

sound half bad. I dont really think DJP likes my style, which is fine,

because he at least puts up with it. (: And I think enough of you get a

kick out of my little head trips that I'll probably keep churning out the

dirty bits for you for a while to come now. Anyway, I'm done ranting.

I will say it was nicely done, but it could be better. There are parts that could use a little bit of fixing up, and other parts that you should never touch again, because they're awesome! But I thought it was an interesting take of this theme. Very creative...I like it! :)

• 1 year later...

I'm not really into this one. All it really seems to be is a slightly distorted rythm backing a medley of weakly synthed melodies. The only spot where the distortion is really that impressive is at about 3:12. Other than that it's not very gripping. I liked COTMM's Ruined World a lot, it was very moody, rich, and textural. I can also atleast see the enjoyment in his Magus remixes which are very dark and distorted, and have a lot of beat. But this, I don't really feel anything from it, much like Vampire Killer Deadcorpse, it doesn't sound so much like a long, dark, crazy exercise in distortion as much as just a over-long track of weak, GM-ish synth that drags on.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

@_o Ack. Such piercing noise after waking up. I should've waited. Maybe I'dve liked this better. It's definitly CoTMM's style that I've come to know n' at times lurve. This wouldn't be one of those times I fear. I still liked Plastic Goddess better. :D Yeah I know I'm Straaaange.

On a side note, why is this in the FF1 catagory instead of the FF7 one? :wink:

• 3 months later...

I have to say that even though I haven't been a big CotMM fan in the past, I loved this one. GREAT BASS. AMAZING BASS. Being a string bass player I appreciate that. I'm with Jemni on the song classification though--it draws mostly from FF7 it seems...

• 6 months later...

What IS the songlimit for a remix? I ask ye.

Normally, mixes with ridiculously many songs are usually just stuffed with many annoying noises, instruments and bad walkovers. But I became actually impressed by CotMM here. The songs he picked could easily meld into each other at certain spots, and the instrumentation was not so bad with its bass and strings that played the prelude through the mix at many places. This is pure skills, monkeydude.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Im groovin on the bass, but some of the higher end distortion isn't my fav; I realize that is CotMM's style, but it just seemed too clinical of sounds to be distorting; i really like organic sounds to be distorted, where the natural imperfections are emphasized by the effect. Regardless, for a medly style song, it is really well done, barring a few weak transitions, and I think the flow is pretty good.

I like the sounds, and the general feel of this mix, but don't think the transitions in the middle are good enough.. I wish this segued better. The sound is amazing and works great with the source material. Very uniquely, in fact. I'll be keeping this, although I feel it's seriously flawed by that middle part. Or maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see!

--Eino

• 1 year later...

This one is too slow to build up, and the primary synth sounds weird to me.

Eh,

I'm wanting to like this mix, but it doesn't really hold my attention even though it is an interesting take on Final Fantasy.

I'd give it an A for effort and originality.

• 10 months later...

CotMM has some awesome music, but I personally find it hard to really appreciate some of his stuff. This one has some accessible parts, but overall the sounds are just rough to my ears, and it's hard to get past that. Overall in this melody there were some pretty cool transition in this, particularly from the Prelude the Mako Reactor theme. The jump to JENOVA and back wasn't as strong, but it still holds its own.

Some good stuff going on, but the sounds are a big detractor to me. Nice FF4 cameo, btw.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I really like how the VII theme gets played and then there's a metaphorical question mark. It's also intriguing how the saw clashed with the tense atmosphere, almost like something is being slowly deconstructed. Transition to Jenova is fun, just sraight-up without being disjointed. Solid. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00518 - Final Fantasy "Something Final"