"Through Wario's Wicket" SML2 (Wario's Castle)

DjjD

Hey all, just starting up a new remix. Looking for some ideas, hopefully gonna be working on this, nonstop for the next few days, possibly weeks. This is definitely a source that definitely hits home for myself, since...I'd turn on my Gameboy solely for the purpose of playing the final stage "Wario's Castle" in Super Mario Land 2.

Wanted to keep it close to the original while...feeling a bit more wicked and mysterious, anyway...I'll let you guys hear for yourselves. Enjoy. :)

Original:

Remix: stats.png

Ok, I've got a bunch of little critiques here that may or may not make sense. The drum feel like they're trying to be kinda glitch-soundy, but the drums themselves feel pretty dry and raw. Try filtering them a little bit or compressing them more to get a bit more of a bite out of them. The writing on them is very cool.

That chippy lead/arp sound is also pretty weak, it feels like its playing the part almost lazily, if that's possible for a synth. I can't tell if it's the writing or the sound, but that part isn't really clicking with me.

Some really cool stuff when you get that deep sub bass rolling, but the breakdown section with the bass didn't work as well. Like you'd need a different bass sound that was a bit more friendly with modulation to pull that off.

Basically, the parts where you've got more going on in here almost always feel like they're the ones closest to nailing the sound. They're dramatic, moody, and complex enough that it holds my attention. Overall I like it man :-) That's obviously not a comprehensive list but just a few things that jumped out to me whilst listening. Take it for what it's worth.