*NO* Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu 'Heavy Battle'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/jackkung.zip - I can't find the source song.

Kind of loud there bro. Really buzzy distortion is killing that synthy lead in the opening parts. The guitar is alright, but the whole mix needs to be toned back a little, and I'd go for a less repetitive arrangement. Some variation would be nice too; it's in your face the whole time.

NO

Yeah, I checked the NSF as well and don't know what the hell you're even mixing from here. The game's from no other systems, so you need to be more explicit with what track your mixing in your submission information. Helps to know WHAT you mixed.

The percussion was plodding, the synths were mediocre and the synth guitar in particular was awful in both sound and note movement. The "arrangement" or whatever you're doing here was really repetitive.

The opening was initially not bad for a Final Fight-type vibe, but this was really unengaging work. Even the synth guitar solo-ish sections that were supposed to be intense didn't work. I heard variation in the lead synth work, but the supporting elements were so repetitive that everything stagnated.

NO

Guess I can't comment on the arrangement in comparison to the source, but structurally, this is weak. It doesn't go anywhere - it just sort of repeats with a few layering changes every once in awhile, but not enough to salvage it. Make use of more added layers at the very least to create dynamics in the mix. You can repeat sections and make it not sound repetitive by making subtle variations in the different instruments, for instance, or by adding new parts to the mix.

Production-wise, there are numerous problems. The drums have no swing or processing whatsoever, and their sequencing is both unrealistic and uninteresting. All these factors combine to make an extremely boring and plodding drumline. Spend a little bit more time on the rhythm section in the future - just because you're doing a rock-style mix doesn't mean you can ignore the percussion. Like Digital Coma said, the lead is OK (though a little bit of reverb/delay to make it wetter wouldn't have hurt), but the bass guitar is very weak. Probably would have made more sense to use a synth bass or something along those lines. The harmony part (the choir) is also not implemented well, being quiet, lofi, and dry. Finally, the overall mastering is 'dull'. Try using equalizers to increase the brightness of the guitar and choir, the bass of the bass drum, and the crack of the snare, for instance. You can also use reverb more to make stuff sound more realistic.

So anyway, lots of problems, but don't be discouraged.

NO