Remix Based On Dr. Cossack Stage 2 from Mega Man 4

Hi Guys. This is a new remix of Dr. Cossack Stage 2 (Mega Man 4) with all original lyrics and vocals. I replayed all of the instrumentation of the music and melodies from the original track and sang some lyrics that I wrote (youtube link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYaFo8QdU6g

I consider this to be a remix; as the arrangement of the song and melodies are in tact. If this is to be considered an original song and I have posted in the wrong spot, please don't freak out and bite my head off.

I recorded the vocals in a professional studio with a great engineer, but I mixed it all myself. If it doesn't sound so great, blame me!

The pictures in the video are of me from another project I work on.

- Tima

I think this qualifies as a remix, don't worry. :wink:

Very interesting remix. The sounds are clean and the arrangement is fairly interesting (if a little conservative). The processed vocals are both a blessing and a curse in this track in that people will either love em' or hate em'. To be perfectly honest I think they're rather unique, much like some of Cyndi Lauper's vocals.

If you'd like to give OCR a shot, here's my critique - the arrangement, contrary to not being a VG remix, is possibly too much so. It is very much on the conservative side, nearly to a fault, if OCR is an aim, here. I do hear one or two sections that vary it u a bit, though, so that works in your favor.

Conservative or not, sometimes the textures sound repetitive. Rather than copy and pasting the same textures under the verses, I'd recommend adding, subtracting or otherwise changing up the texture a little bit while still remaining connected to the source.

The cutoff ending is not fitting at all, and the sudden opening is disorienting. The cutoff in particular is a very lackluster ending to an otherwise great track. Please create an intro/outro - it would be awesome.

The drums are a touch on the boring side, throughout. The snare and hats sound weak, and the patterns are generally quite repetitive (though the fills are nice). Find a snare to double over your current one that has a nice, short attack and maybe add a little volume or fatten the mid EQ range for the hats to give them a little more strength. The bass is somewhat fitting to the genre, but a little more compression/volume to it would help give it just the right about of punch in comparison to the rest of the track.

The production is incredibly tight. Just thought I'd throw that in there, because it's very impressive (especially for someone who says it's not a strong point).

I liked it quite a bit. You can put this up for mod review, if you'd like any more feedback on it. Also, seeing that you're a Megaman remixing buff you should check out this competition, if you have the time - everyone there would probably love your contribution, and you'd get the quick attention of many/most of the other remixers here.

Great work on this one - with a few minor tweaks I could see you getting posted, if you so chose.

Hey, thanks so much for the feedback. I am typically a rock/pop/electronic musician, but I am very influenced by NES sounds and music, so this was a first venture into that territory.

I don't know what getting posted means, but I can guess. And thanks for letting me know about the competition! I'm gonna check it out.

- Tima

'Getting posted' simply means having a track hosted here on OCR, which is not an easy task since the standard here is pretty close to professional quality with a particular type of arrangement style (not too conservative, not too liberal).

Here's some details about the process, if you're interested - sections 4,5 & 6 are particularly relevant at this stage. If you're interested, I can say your track certainly has a good shot, given that you make a couple of tweaks to it.

I hope to see you in the competition, by the way :-D.