*NO* Final Fantasy 'Tceles B Hsup Matoya'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff1.zip - Track 10 (Matoya's Theme)

Kind of an awkward feel on things, I can't deny that. Some interesting applications of basic sounds, sure. But I have to say that if I had never heard of you, Nate, I'd be inclined to simply say you should get some stronger synth sounds.

Certainly some cool ideas for expanding the theme a little bit with support work, but this was basically 5 or 6 iterations of Matoya's Theme without much creative rearrangement or interpretation beyond a plug-and-play assortment of instrument combinations.

I like the track a lot and played it on VGF46, but to me I don't think Nate brings enough new/different compositional ideas to the table in the arrangement itself. I'm interested in what the other Js have to say regarding the purposeful use of these sounds. Maybe Israfel will have some good personal insight as to the strengths of this track.

Hearing something attempt to run with such blatantly synthetic textures such as this makes me pipe dream about the possibilities of Fray collabbing with Israfel or Shnabubula. I think the latter two use more agreeable sounds than what was here, but in any case, I'd love to hear this idea continued by playing around with the source melody and actual changing that up a bit. If Nate doesn't wanna do that, I'll still enjoy the track. I'll always be interested in your work.

NO

Ridiculously dry sound in that opening man. Percussion and melodic ideas need to balance out more; there's too much kick 'n bass in here. Also, all of these leads need some more reverb or delay or something. They sound dry as hell. :( Everything sounds underproduced and amateurish.

Needs a wider, more expansive feel, without a doubt. Arrangement is pretty good, but it's a bit short and it repeats. More ideas!

NO

Something went very wrong in the mixing here; the instrumentation is completely lifeless. Organs are very floody and the synths, bells, and piano are dry and stiff. There's just no attention to the sonics.

Besides that, the arrangement doesn't offer much new beyond slight comping on the same Matoya melody.

Not a good attempt at dance, or Cyndi Lauper maybe?

NO