Secret of Mana - Spirit of the Night

Flubly

I was playing around with this piece just for kicks and started to get an atmosphere and dynamic that I really liked. I cut it up in a repeat and liked that too. It feels like it should go somewhere but I'm not keen on just throwing in some breakbeats. I just really love the space and subtle overtones.

Any thoughts?

Note: Ignore the 7 minute length. Mixdown went funky and I'm too lazy to figure it out for an early draft.

http://soundcloud.com/flubly/spirit-of-the-night

there's some really cool ideas in here and the arrangement is working nicely. i think it needs a little more direction - adding in some breakbeats would definitely help, but i think you can get it working without resorting to that if you don't feel that's the place to take it. i really dig the glitchy/cut-up stuff going on, and i think if you made more dramatic use of that kind of thing, you could end up with some very cool stuff. vary the rhythms while glitching it out and just go a little crazy with it and see what happens maybe?

Repeating the source with an added effect isn't much of an arrangement. Needs more dynamics, textural difference, stuff like that. If you don't wanna bring in breakbeats, consider other additional instrumentation or taking the source and using parts of it in new ways. Change the sound as it progresses, you can keep it atmospheric and cool without making it repetitive. :)

I agree it needs to be more dynamic, but I'd think only in growth. I don't really see any need for more valleys since it's already a down tempo piece.

I'm definitely going to use additional instrumentation, but I think I'm looking for more of a building progression so I think the glitch works on the source as is for an up tempo foundation. The greater need is for additional arrangement, not more cutting up of the arranging I've already done.

I don't necessarily view the repetition as a bad thing. I agree that I need to vary what is introduced so that the repetition is reinforced rather than just monotonous.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll get some time to put some work into this soon.