Quickman -- MegaMan II Remix

TGH

This is really awesome! I can't wait to see where you're going with this :)

I feel like the intro lacks... something. I think you shouldn't bring in the kick right from the start, and take more time to build up your atmosphere. Although it might just be about personal preferences ;)

I also think that the side-chaining might be a bit excessive. I feel like it's keeping me from fully enjoying your arrangement, which is very promising in my opinion!

I REALLY like your sounds, especially the main synth. The slides and fills near 0:40 are definitely, awesomely tasteful.

I impatiently await the finished version! :D

I have always wanted to do a full on latin/samba version of Quickman's theme. Spice it up a bit. The source would fit perfectly with live trumpets, sax, piano, perhaps some xylophone, complete with some congo/tom-tom and hand percussion.

Someone needs to make that happen.

Oh I do like your brief rendition here too BTW. Good luck in the compo.

@DaMonz I think the intro is fine, although adding something more "intro-like" wouldn't hurt either.

So far so good TGH! Obviously you need more in the track, because the ending was flatter than Thomas Friedman's world. (politics joke)

@DaMonz I think the intro is fine, although adding something more "intro-like" wouldn't hurt either.

So far so good TGH! Obviously you need more in the track, because the ending was flatter than Thomas Friedman's world. (politics joke)

I updated the track after he commented with a different intro.

Haha thanks guys for the feedback. Surely by the time I've finished the composition everything should sound better.

I'm really liking this, I've picked Quickman as my first choice for GRMRB and seem to be the only one who has him as their first choice, so hopefully I won't tread on any of your ideas when I do my version.

As I said I am really enjoying this, my main complaint though is the first lead (the one that's used at first from :34 to 1:02) it just seems a bit underwhelming and a bit lifeless given the energy of the backing. I think just using a bit of vibrato on it could work wonders.

That really is my only complaint with this though, I love the hard hitting sound of the drums and the overall soundscape, and from 3:00 onwards, genius!

MUCH Better! Holy crap this track is great. If you can apply this style to whatever your robot master is, or if you face-off against (probably) Anti-Syne. I would say even if the GRMRB is going on you could submit this to the judges.

PS: Make sure that when you have your final song there isn't 20 seconds of dead air at the end. :tomatoface:

MUCH Better! Holy crap this track is great. If you can apply this style to whatever your robot master is, or if you face-off against (probably) Anti-Syne. I would say even if the GRMRB is going on you could submit this to the judges.

PS: Make sure that when you have your final song there isn't 20 seconds of dead air at the end. :tomatoface:

What???

You didn't like that part? wtf

oh well, can't please everybody :razz:

The composition for the most part is finished. Still need to sprinkle some pixie dust on the track :<

http://www.box.net/shared/svmmgcia8i

Bass sounds better too in this version.

I would say even if the GRMRB is going on you could submit this to the judges.

No offense, but I don't know if I'd go that far. The judges are pretty rough. If we are going by judges standards, this mix is rather conservative. It sticks pretty close to the source until the section from 1:54 - 2:55, which while original, just seems to feel a bit empty. There isn't anything particularly exciting or defining going on in that section. Maybe introduce a new melody, or try to fill out the sound with some additional instruments. The ending from 3:44 also deviates from the source a bit, which I like.

With that said, I really like the update for what it is. I think it is a great interpretation of Quickman's theme, and something along these lines would work great in the GRMRB. Sample quality and mixing sound pretty solid. I think this sounds great as is, just in response to Nonamer, it would need more work if it was intended for the judges panel.

Great job, GuitahHeroe, I look forward to seeing what you do in the GRMRB.

No offense, but I don't know if I'd go that far. The judges are pretty rough. If we are going by judges standards, this mix is rather conservative. It sticks pretty close to the source until the section from 1:54 - 2:55, which while original, just seems to feel a bit empty. There isn't anything particularly exciting or defining going on in that section. Maybe introduce a new melody, or try to fill out the sound with some additional instruments. The ending from 3:44 also deviates from the source a bit, which I like.

With that said, I really like the update for what it is. I think it is a great interpretation of Quickman's theme, and something along these lines would work great in the GRMRB. Sample quality and mixing sound pretty solid. I think this sounds great as is, just in response to Nonamer, it would need more work if it was intended for the judges panel.

Great job, GuitahHeroe, I look forward to seeing what you do in the GRMRB.

Glad you like it. Keep in mind the composition is not finished yet though; the finished track will have many more countermelodies and ornamental fills to spice the track up and keep it more interesting.

In response to your comments about the arrangement with respect to OCR standards, I think there's enough going on other than direct source material (along with the genre) to consider this an OCR-acceptable arrangement. And again, the composition isn't done yet.

http://www.box.net/shared/svmmgcia8i

Not sure there's much I'd like to add to this, I'd be happy to call this a finished track.

To challenge myself this time, I'm opting NOT to switch this thread to mod review. PLEASE don't take any offense to this, mods :razz: but I'd like to try to take the step to get past the panel without the help of the workshop moderators.

Thanks to everyone who commented for the feedback provided :D

I can't quite put my finger on it, but whatever you did (particularly with the middle section) just sounds better now. It feels like there is more going on, more intricate rhythms, melodies, etc.

The only complaint I have is like DaMonz said, the ending is a bit dry. It felt like it was building up to something, but then it just kind of fizzled out. Overall though, I don't think it really takes away from what the rest of the track was doing.

Great job!