KOF'99 and KOF2002 um Krizalid's theme

Dude, what the pineapple is that screaming voice at the beginning? The track was coming out so nicely and then AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! x_o How about cutting down on the reverb and mess a bit with EQ? Also, there's some parts of the song that it sounds very muddy, as if you'd recorded it on a bad mic; and it's too delayed. I suggest you to turn down the echo feed a bit.

Some keys appear out of nowhere and scare me sometimes, like the abrupt guitar intro at 0:40 and 1:01, the transitions at 1:49 and 2:02. You may want to fix the bridges for those keys somehow, just for a better flow on the sequencing.

Weird ending, not sure if it's personal taste thingy... I'd wait for the mods to say something :P

But y'know, I really like what you've done overall. Apart from being a tad overcompressed, the mixing between electronica with metal pretty much appeals to me, the soundscape really gives me that "demon conquers the universe" thing :twisted:, there's a solid direction to it, and the guitar soloing's pretty sick! Keep it up sir \o/

This is a really cool style, the shredding reminds me a lot of music you'd find off of Sonic Adventure 2's soundtrack.

The arrangement here is quite fun. the synth/rock hybrid is pulled off pretty well. Your synth choices aren't the best in the world but they work pretty well despite being a little bland, and the shredding is awesome, especially on the leads. I don't have any issue with the performances here, they seem pretty good across the board.

Though, something sounds a little bit off about the mixing. In my opinion, it sounds like overcompression but it could be something else causing the issue, like too much reverb or a less-than-perfect recording setup. It's minor stuff, I'd personally recommend easing off on the master compression just a little bit and see where that gets you. I'd also like to hear what the mix would be like with a little bit more presence from the bassline or rewriting with a bass sound that has more definition to it, it almost feels like there's a hole in the lower frequencies.

Also, that ending is a copout! I'm sure you can do something a little more conclusive than that :-)

Let's see if you can polish those few things up a little bit, then I'll check it out for a source check. This one's pretty close and might even be able to pass as-is, but I'd like to see if you could tighten up those issues I mentioned and get a proper ending on here.

Cool track dude :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!!

Update:

stats.png

source:

KOF'99:

KOF 2002 UM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIrm...eature=related

I changed bass synth.

Quad rhythm guitar, rerecorded leads.

Removed rhythm guitars from 2002 source's theme.

Remade some voice parts. Changed ending.

Some sound upgrade in a good way i think.

Edit:

OK. I'm too lazy or whatever, I think it is nuf good for mod-review.

Aight, here we go.

Nice, crispy guitars. Performance is pretty tight throughout, the lead is a little bit heavy on the fuzzy, which is causing some muddyness.

The master limiter is killing things on the second measure of each progression of the main riff. It sounds like the kick or the bass is causing the rest of the volume to push down during though parts (specific examples: :12, :15, :19, :22. Check and see what needs fixing because it is a bit disruptive to intensity.

You've got a super-full sound during much of the mix, which could be addresses if you backed off some of the low-mids and mid-highs of the rhythm guitars. Be careful to make only subtle tweaks to specific frequency ranges that need breathing room, specifically the arps and synths you have throughout. The kick might also need some eq modeling to keep it down a bit.

I have to admit, I love the intensity of this thing. I wish the guitar solo was a little bit tighter, personally, but as it is right now, I think it is still pretty good.

The heavy reliance on those voice samples is a bit overused: they're primarily used in place of some potentially smoother transitions. I'd recommend cutting back on that voice stuff and improving the transitions a bit.

Overall, I really dig the sound you've crafted. However, this does bring up an issue that rears its ugly head a bit: this sounds like much more of a cover and upgrade than it does sound like an interpretive arrangement. Your KoF 2002 youtube link doesn't work, but the KoF 99 one sounds very very close to the song you've done. I'd like for you to relink the KoF 2002 one but consider doing a tad more interpretation in the mix to make sure its not considered as just a sound upgrade.

I look forward to hearing more, mak!

HI everyone!! I'm back.

Updates:

OFF VOICE - stats.png (I was too lazy for make some transitions, so..)

VOICE - stats.png

Sources:

KOF'99 -

KOF 2002 UM -

So what I've done..

Rerecorded ALL guitars(rhythms/leads/solos)

Recorded BAss Guitar AT LAST!

Some small additions to arrangement.

Lot of EQ'ing, NO limiting, No compressor use. Only pure balancing. I think I destroyed that stupid over-compression!! I hope.. Well i don't hear it now..

I have some bad feeling about ending(again), but I love what I've made, specially solos and bass guitar. Also I think voice works well and source's usage in right place, but I may be wrong.. as always))

Enjoy if you like!

I think the combination of synths and really tight rhythm guitars works really well here, and, as always, I really like your drum programming. There lot of interesting fills and little details to keep things nice and interesting.

I also like a lot of the stuff you do in the leads, though I gotta admit the second one gets a little bit sloppy in one spot near the end. It's not too bad, though.

The snare sounds pretty good. You are always able to get your snare to cut so much better than I can, but for a lot of the mix I think the kick was hard to distinguish. It kinda lacked punch. So here's the thing: I'm not quite sure it's really necessary to cut out compression entirely. It can be a really useful tool, especially for this genre. I would at least put some on the kick so the bass guitar doesn't drown it out.

I think the use of vocal samples is alright. They add a bit of energy to the mix for me.

I also think the ending is pretty decent.

Overall I think it's pretty damn cool. I'm impressed you got such a fat sound with no compression.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I started to learn how to use mastering stuff, so

here is update:

stats.png

I think it may be a bit hot in highs and maybe i need to drop rhythms in loudness..

But still i think it is ready for mods review.. Specially sources use.

Sources:

KOF'99 -

KOF 2002 UM -

I'm counting on YOU guys!

Best of whatever! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

You're a saint for being so patient. And yes, I'll make it worth your wait!

One thing you need to quickly fix is the guitars. All of them seem just sliiiiiiiiiiiightly delayed. Like, not even 2ms delayed. Just a slight nudge forward would fix it (it is mostly apparent in the rhythm guitars.

The over compression is gone, but the drums are now sitting a little too far back in the mix (I realize I'm being a perfectionist with this, but hey, whatever increases your chances of making it into OCR, right?). Increase .5 or 1 db for the drums, and I think this is set.

Voices are sounding better to me in this mix, before because of the mixing they sounded a bit overpowering. They're sitting better now, definitely. As for the ending, why not just end with the voice? Either that or a couple of hard syncopated guitar/drum hits.

Besides that, this is sounding ready to sub. Because of the interesting way you built it, I'm not completely sure of its chances of passing, but it is damn fun to listen to.

Ok, i made some changes.

- Drums changed

- Delay removed(that was not my play issue!! Wow!)

- ending changed to voice(I agree about bad ending in previous)

- Some changes in balancing and mastering

stats.png

Changing to "finished" for some time, so if someone have any thoughts, no matter good or bad, tell me plz! I love any critics or whatever!

Best of whatever!

I don't notice much difference from the last version :P

I did notice there is a bum note in the guitar solo at 1:20, though (no big deal!) :grin:

It's kind of a matter of opinion I guess, but I liked the old ending a little better. This one sounds fine, though.

Ultimately, this is a good track. It's marred mainly by some really hard to pin down production issues, which I think you've largely addressed with your revisions.

I hope to see it on the front page some day :)

Also, the intro to this one sounds exactly like the intro to my old halflife mix: http://tindeck.com/listen/ykbc I guess it's a common effect :<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, as I said.. "NO" was the verdict))

I'm not going to resub it, cause i dunno what else can i do with this arrangement(or just don't want to do).

So here is re-mastered version:http://soundcloud.com/mak-eightman/mak-eightman-end-of-heaven-re

In case someone interesting:-D

Thanks again for feedback guys!