Xbox 360 2: Electric Boogaloo

Brushfire

what is this a fucking poem

I lol'd! :-D

It's unlikely that this is true. Microsoft is smarter than introducing a new console after releasing the Kinect. Although I could see why they might do it if Nintendo is releasing a new console in 2012. Let's hope they don't screw up.

(1) It wasn't a poem

(2) this isn't Off-topic

(3) i would buy a rrod'ing console over an info-leaking one any day ;-)

Yeah, your shit ain't really safe on the 360 either.

I feel that 2012 is too soon for any new console, but that's probably because I'm very slow to finish newer titles and it kind of seems like that developers have plateaued what can be done technologically and monetarily.

The graphical leap between this generation and the next won't be that great at all; certainly not in the first couple of years. And it certainly won't do anything to prevent the deluge of sequels and copycat games. In reality, that's pretty much how the entire game industry operates since the beginning, so no surprises there.

Haha, they don't emphasizes that the 10 year console life includes the 4 years that the old-gen consoles remain on the market after the new machines launch. Haha.

For the first time in 20 years I do not want a new console. In the past, new consoles promised new ways to experience games, better graphics, and new gameplay, but that just isn't going to happen in the leaps and bounds we saw from previous generations. Graphics will be better sure, but not like the transitions we experienced in the past.

It'll be an upgrade at best, with some new shiny graphics (and more bleh motion controls) and that isn't all that enticing for me.

I suppose they'll hook me somehow though... oh lack of self-control, you card.

I think the next generation of consoles should, at the very least, have real-life textures... They probably could have done that in this gen of games but I didn't see it. Heavy Rain was damn close. They're getting to the point where they can motion capture an actor but ALSO put the actual video of them in the game, so that they like, look exactly as they do in real life. Come on game companies, make it happen :<

Possible side-effects include vietnam flash-backs

Maybe games are becoming "too" real

We have a wii, it's primarily used to stream Netflix on an old standard def TV. :/

Have you tried browsing any stores recently..?

At the very least if you have yet to spend your tax money, assuming you work at all, you could easily buy an HDTV between $200-$500 at some place like Walmart; even Best Buy with the cheap Dynex lines are easily affordable.

Personally went for a Vizio, been happy since with it.

I think the next generation of consoles should, at the very least, have real-life textures... They probably could have done that in this gen of games but I didn't see it. Heavy Rain was damn close. They're getting to the point where they can motion capture an actor but ALSO put the actual video of them in the game, so that they like, look exactly as they do in real life. Come on game companies, make it happen :<

Possible side-effects include vietnam flash-backs

Maybe games are becoming "too" real

You mean photo-real textures? Games have been using them for quite sometime, just probably not too noticeable on most games because of texture compression and having to manage a lot of objects on screen.

I think more realism is a given. I'd certainly like to see better animation but that's more up to the animators and people directing mo-cap than the technology. If anything, I'd like to see actual artistic styles become more popular rather than trying to emulate reality.

Good luck with that, Guy. For ages now most gamers have been brainwashed by marketing into thinking that more realistic = better graphics, and less realistic = shit

It's the only explanation I have for people saying for people I know saying games like Chrono Trigger look like "shit" on top of the very obvious reason that many people I know are just complete idiots.

Another case in point: my roommate (who is indeed an idiot), watching me play G-Darius, saying "Woah that darius game looks a whole lot better than the other one you play [Darius Gaiden for the Saturn]!"

"I wouldn't necessarily call it better, I'd say in certain aspects Darius Gaiden is-"

"No man you know what I mean, it just looks like, better and 3D and shit"

It's engrained into the popular consciousness, I'd wager. But anyway

I'm always for seeing improvements in game engines and graphics that make game-worlds look like living breathing places (as opposed to clumps of awkward rag-dolls a la Assassin's Creed), but I still think we're far from anywhere close to photo-realism (even "photo-realistic" graphics we have now just look uncanny), though game devs are trying their damnedest. Then again, who knows what the next gen holds?

Sounds like your friend just has trouble communicating thoughts and thus you had a hard time understanding what he meant, which was probably just that "the 3D graphics on this game look better than those on the version you like playing". Of course you'd know your friend better than I do, but I wouldn't necessarily toss out what he's saying as tripe. I'd grimace before regaining my composure of course, but not toss out outright.

I agree that I think this is a problem with the masses as a whole though. I used to enjoy DDR, and my older brother got into the guitar hero/rockband fad(we can call it a fad now!) a few years ago, and when describing the game to our mother, he said "it's kind of like that DDR game, but with real music". Now granted I thought he just insulted the work of a few good people, and somewhere in the world a Beatdrop shed a tear, but in retrospect he was probably trying to articulate "music that more people are generally familiar with/that he likes".

Also, did you guys know that The Damned has a general affinity for Nintendo and Nintendo products? He also seems to be quite the Pokemon fan. He's quite the character, that guy.

Although back on to the actual topic, I agree that I can't see the hardware going much further, especially since PC gaming hasn't made any substantial leaps lately either in terms of graphics. Thus, if the rumors of a new Xbox being announced now is true, then I'd like to officially welcome video game consoles to the iPhone business model of things.

lol he ain't my friend, he's my roommate! ;p

Anyhoo, I just used that example to show that it's kind of engrained in the collective consciousness, at least at a laymen level, that we subconsciously associate "more realistic" with "better" and how that has negative connotations when it comes to varied aesthetically design.

I know what you're saying though, and I know how there are lots of times we don't have the words to say what we want to say.