Jewel of the Night(MM9 Jewel Man Remix)

eilios

Some of you might've gotten an earlier version of this on IRC via ocrwip. Arrangement wise, this probably won't be that different, I just changed some of the synths and mixing of this.

That said, though, here's Jewel of the Night, an electro house remix of Jewel Man's theme.

Emerald Version <--Version 0.5137(Now on box.net!)

Quartz Version. <-- Version 0.5(Actually finished, arrangement wise!)

Jade Version<-- Version 0.49¯(Totally not finished, but close to it!)

Onyx Version<-- Version 0.45(still Unfinished)

Sapphire Version<-- Version 0.4(Unfinished, kinda cuts off...)

The main thing that I don't quite like is how muffled the bass(?) sounds. Sounds you've got a filter or EQ'd a bit too much of the highs out of it maybe, so it sounds kinda lifeless. Don't mind bass that sounds filtered but this a bit too much imo.

Other than that the drums could use some fills and percussion as they're too simple and repetive at the moment imo.

This is definitely a cool source to tackle...but I agree with Vidilian on what he says about the bass, you might want to turn the volume down as to make the rest of the arrangement appear more "shining", and with the drums, there should be a bit more variation, while still keeping the main rhythm with kick on 1 and snare on 2. Some clicks and clacks should fill it up a bit.

But I definitely want to hear an update...because this has potential. :D

Thanks! Speaking of "next version"...

Onyx Version!

CHAGELIST:

• Beefed up percussion a little.
  • Minor changes to synths(added warm short reverb to some synths)
  • Added small percussion fills(Not that many, this is house, after all, though)
  • EQs EVERYWHERE

Really, this version focused a lot more on mastering, but it's still a good update!

• 2 weeks later...

And while we're at it, let's double post for science!

Jade Version!

CHAGELIST(yeah I know I made that typo and IT'S NOT CHAGING):

• EVEN MORE EQING
  • Added another original chillout section.
  • More percussion beefing!
  • Chaged my name in this update to "EILIOS, LORD OF THE INFINITE."

Sorry for the really late update, but I've had a busy non-musical creative schedule, what with Unregistered and SD and all of that cool stuff.

http://tindeck.com/listen/fkvl

Eilios, nice to see people working on more electro house around here.

One issue that I have with this mix is the EQ. I actually listened to the mix before reading all the comments, and from the beginning I was thinking "oh neat, eilios is playing with the frequency filter, he is gonna open it up any minute and the mix is going to kick into full gear." But that moment never came - right now it sounds like all the elements from the intro have highs and mids completely killed. Normally, that kind of sound builds anticipation towards those frequencies being slowly filtered in, but after listening to the mix in its entirety, I don't think that was your intention. Add some high or mid freqs to your bass, to give it a bit more edge. Also, one trick in electro percs, if you skip high hats at the end of every measure in some sections, it will make your beat sound a bit more jumpy. Your other synths sound a bit dry/simple, some more verb or delay may solve this problem. Some more compression on the track and maybe some sidechained elements would also help to give the mix a bit more of a pumping feel.

I think you have good arrangement ideas, you just need to work on improving your production.

I actually listened to the mix before reading all the comments, and from the beginning I was thinking "oh neat, eilios is playing with the frequency filter, he is gonna open it up any minute and the mix is going to kick into full gear." But that moment never came - right now it sounds like all the elements from the intro have highs and mids completely killed. Normally, that kind of sound builds anticipation towards those frequencies being slowly filtered in, but after listening to the mix in its entirety, I don't think that was your intention.

This is actually a really amazing idea that kills two birds with one stone and I totally know how to make this a reality. Thanks for the idea. I'm aware that I need to work on my production, it's a constant effort, and helpful tips like this are what make it a reality! I might do the hi-hat skipping, too.

MY thoughts echo what most everyone else have said. And that main synth... it's cool, but its just... a little much.

I -love- the bass part you have going on and I want to be grooving so bad to it. The drums would be nicer if they were meatier, because damn if that isn't a groovy track.

I like a lot of the ideas you have going on. MY only gripe is the synths and some of their frequencies. That and the beat should really be pushing this mix. Like I said, the track is so funky and I sooo badly want to be bobbing my head to this, but the bassline just isn't quite as meaty as it should be. This is so close to being awesome, please keep working on it!

• 2 weeks later...

D-d-d-double post! Emerald Version!

CHANGELIST:

• Fattened up the kick a little, it was a bit too quiet for my tastes.
  • Changed some limiters on things that had limiters on them to remove tiny crackles inherent in the limiter the limiter-having things had.
  • Uploaded to box.net to increase max-bitrate.
  • Changed thread to MOD REVIEW.
  • Other shenanigans

http://www.box.net/shared/p4jsdg8ki8

Pretty beefy production on here, I can see you're following in the footsteps of artists like PrototypeRaptor or Mr. Ben Briggs in your production and arrangement style here.

Yikes, it's a long one though. I find your lead writing is pretty diverse and varied, but that constant variation isn't really reflected in the rest of the track, which leads to this feeling pretty stale after going on for almost 6 minutes. I feel like this could be condensed down to about 4 and still have the same impact. In a similar vein, some sections aren't clicking as well as others, too (for example, the section with the organ lead just isn't working for me. Might be a personal preference thing, but the writing doesn't feel as strong.) Also, random side note: for your kick, are you using just one sample, or are you layering in multiple samples? If you're not, give it a shot to get a little bit grittier of a sound that I think might fit better with the rest of the dirty leads.

This isn't an exhaustive list of critiques by any means, but I'm kind of fatigued at the moment so hopefully this will get you going on the right track at least. Some pretty cool sounds going on here though, I dig the direction you're going here! :-D

Pretty beefy production on here, I can see you're following in the footsteps of artists like PrototypeRaptor or Mr. Ben Briggs in your production and arrangement style here.

Yikes, it's a long one though. I find your lead writing is pretty diverse and varied, but that constant variation isn't really reflected in the rest of the track, which leads to this feeling pretty stale after going on for almost 6 minutes. I feel like this could be condensed down to about 4 and still have the same impact. In a similar vein, some sections aren't clicking as well as others, too (for example, the section with the organ lead just isn't working for me. Might be a personal preference thing, but the writing doesn't feel as strong.) Also, random side note: for your kick, are you using just one sample, or are you layering in multiple samples? If you're not, give it a shot to get a little bit grittier of a sound that I think might fit better with the rest of the dirty leads.

This isn't an exhaustive list of critiques by any means, but I'm kind of fatigued at the moment so hopefully this will get you going on the right track at least. Some pretty cool sounds going on here though, I dig the direction you're going here! :-D

Thanks a lot! I was thinking that I could have condensed this down quite a bit. I am a big fan of the above two, so it might have just slipped in :P. Thanks a lot for the basic critique, and I'll try to slim this down a bit! The kick is a layer of two samples, but I'll try adding more. EDIT: And @ the organ variation, I'll work on that too!

• 2 weeks later...