OCR01316 - Mega Man Zero 2 "Stranger in the Desert"

djpretzel

Got this one quite a while ago, and according to my media player, it's my 5th most listened to song. Liked it for a long period, and didn't start losing interest until about the 90th listen. Excellent job of giving the source material a completely different feel to it. Next to Angel, this is probably my favorite Darkesword mix.

There are two things about DarkeSword that never fail to impress me - his ability to merge numerous songs seamlessly and his ability to make a song into something so completely different while keeping the source material easily recognisable. This song displays both aspects perfectly. While there is a notable difference between the sections in which the two different songs are used, they manage to build and flow in a way to compliment each other wonderfully. I love the soft, almost whimsical/carnival-like building piano, and the high, slightly warbling flute truly creates a feel of a worn, wind-blown desert loneliness, especially the light sprinkle of piano notes here and there. Certain "building" sections (especially using the choir-ish voices) add a feel of persistance and determination with a touch of mystery (such as the piano coming in around 2'12). Really a moody, beautiful piece of work. DarkeSword makes me smile.

I've had this since I went to VGMix, looking for mixes from this game and from this original piece. I really like what DarkeSword did to this; the original was a more hard-hitting, classic Megaman-type piece (and very good, too, hence my search for said mixes), and he mixed it into something quite a bit more mellow and ambient. I always like it when people take a piece from one genre and successfully convert it into another one in their mixes.

Yeah, this is some good stuff.

Really interesting take on the ambient electronica style. The different rhythm styles and phrasing really make for interesting parts of this song. I'm a very big fan of ambient electronica music, this does the stuff and does it at a high quality. Pading effects, electronic sounds and use of classical instruments have been made to good effect that really isn't quite easy. Parts of this song reminded me of Shadow hearts soundtrack, which is very neglected I would have thought djpretzel would have mentioned about that in the review. Good song I'll be listening for a while. On another note, repetition is used very well in this, hard to pull off. Good stuff, MegaMan is definately good source material for ambient electronica.

I remember when Darkesword first put up a 2 min version of this in the WIP forum. Listened to it then and Go thooked. I think i asked him about finishing it everytime he put up a topic too (oh well sorry abotu being excessive). So when he finally did finish this and post it I abotu had a heart attack. I was again amazed by this remix. Its just increibdle. It is without a doubt one of if not my favorite remix on this site. Increidble job Darke sword. this is amazing!

I think this mix may end up joining the ranks of Pretzel's 'Sunken Suite' (Mario 64) and SuperGreenX's 'Frame of Mind' (Beyond Good & Evil) as a beautiful mix. I enjoyed the first two minutes immensely. Listening to them felt like being submerged in a vast oceanscape of bliss and beauty. To be honest, the middle felt a bit out of place, but I can't judge that since I haven't actually played this game. However, I feel this middle is necessary, as it acts as a transition and return to the oceanscape, incorporating all elements of the song into a shining whole.

Overall, a very melodic and inspiring piece. Great job, DarkeSword.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01316 - Mega Man Zero 2 "Stranger in the Desert"