let's play a little game!

I only did it because LuIzA is a sexy beast.

http://xavierdang.com/dump2011/LuIzA_-_Waiting_(mv_mastering).mp3

edit: reuploaded at 2:30PM CET (louder version)

Made most of the work tonight with headphones so I readjusted some stuff this morning with monitors. It's hard to master a full rock track but this was a lot of fun and the track is great so thank you for the distraction :)

notes:

production

- used the DI recordings for guitars, hard panned and using various Guitar Rig 2 presets.

- bass was guitar-rigged, EQ-boosted and compressed.

- used Melodyne on both lead vocal recordings just to correct tone deviations so that they don't conflict with each other (still a few odd spots but i could fix that later). mixed both (48L/40R I think since one was louder), compressed them some & boosted the EQ in mid/hi frequencies and added a very light vocal ambient reverb.

- used a vocal compressor, light chorus and very light delay on the backing vocals

- tried to mix drums separately with various compression/eq adjustments, then doubled the kick recording since it was hard to spot otherwise.

- used a GR preset on the lead guitar, made it a bit quieter when it first plays, then a bit louder during the chorus phases, also has some stadium-ish reverb to it, dumbed down.

- boosted all frequencies with a multiband compressor on the main bus, rendered the WAV at -0.5db.

post-prod/mastering

- cut frequencies below 27hz.

- applied a multimaximizer with hot/crunch settings.

- 24bit->16-bit

mv, you're still alive! :)

the vocals sound kinda weird panned off center haha. still, awesome take though

and here's my new one: http://tindeck.com/listen/xveu

I've replaced snare and kick drum normally, but also copied versions of the OH track and cropped them to each tom part so I could trigger them as well.

I also revised some problems from my older redo.

...but also copied versions of the OH track and cropped them to each tom part so I could trigger them as well.

That's...pretty ingenious. I'm going to give the mix another shot later, this time using Drumtracker so I can use a Superior 2 kit.

Edit: Mix B

Converted the kick, snare, and toms to MIDI and brought them into the Superior 2 Metal Foundry library for a more natural sound than the Slate samples. I had also tracked the crashes and ride, but the hihat was a bit trickier than I expected so I used the original overhead track with a high pass.

http://xavierdang.com/dump2011/LuIzA_-_Waiting_(mv_mastering_02).mp3

Toyed around with it again, on headphones though so I'll have to check in the afternoon again :)

Pretty interesting to hear all the different versions we came up with haha.

revisions

- drums changed up a bit, toyed with another additional kick recording.

- used the lead vocals, panned hard left and right with subtle differences in EQ and form, then applied the double-lead vocals in the middle, but very quiet and high in EQ just to add some more color, more delay on the whole thing too.

- The EQ on the whole track is less aggressive and more in line with a foo fighter-ish feel.