OCR02236 - Pokémon Red Version "Out of the Palace"

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. I quite liked the whole switch up between the piano and guitar sections. Fantastic energy and a good beat to it as well coming off the drums. I liked how you managed to mix in the main theme as well. A bit short, but it sounds like a winner to me. Nice to hear more good Pokemon ReMixes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Now this to me sounds solid; while the original "Hall of Fame" track was practically seen as a majorly triumphant piece of work, this feels somewhat more comraderic in structure and all the energy placed behind the performance and some strong rhythm guitar work seemed to work out and continue to give it that lease of life. The Pokemon Main Theme reference in the end was also pretty neat to reference to and ensure it doesn't quite outstay its welcome. In spite of this short arrangement, we've got something that works well given the nature of the source.

Though I'm not sure if it's my listening setup, but I felt some low mids were missing from the track. That was what I noted with the frequency gap between the bass and rhythm guitars, so maybe a frequency boost in that section for the rhythm or an additional synth part covering that range might've helped fill it up. But outside of that qualm, the live instruments were well recorded, and the piano - albeit synthetic - managed to fit in appropriately to the soundscape.

I hope the Key to Progression guys return with a new mix one day, because if they can provide a lot of promise with an 8-measure-long source (there I go, back to 'restrictive source material' again :razz: ) then they could go a long way in interpreting other songs. For now, nice work :D

I really enjoy the piano sections here, when the guitars provide punctuation, and it makes me want to do some more stuff along that lines in my own mixes, as the feel is really pleasant and somewhat unique to me.

Some cool filtering effects, and subtle harmonies thrown in, as well as varied sections, and about the perfect length. Very good stuff, well done, comrades!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty fun take, it'd be nice to see more artists use this style. The production quality is pretty rough with the garageband-like recordings and a bit of overcompression possibly? It's a bit on the short side, but I'm not sure how much more would be good for this approach so I can live with that. Otherwise, not a bad first mix, and I'd love to hear more!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02236 - Pokémon Red Version "Out of the Palace"