New Sega Console?

was on youtube looking at programming videos, then I saw some stuff ; just thinking for a while and researching......

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77253368

At the service and goods area it says

home video game machines for use with televisions; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs

now the first dreamcast had a keyboard and mouse( for quake 3, oddly enough private servers are still online and some communitys are all over it)

but the dreamcast never had floormats;p

and this patent is from 07 or 08 , and this may have no weight but last year in a interview yuji naka said the following quotes from an interview http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/playstation-3/news/sonic-creator-wants-to-make-the-dreamcast-2/a-20101001174813379081/g-20060314115917309058

1. “If I have the opportunity in the future I want to be involved again with hardware making. It would be ideal if I could become some sort of advisor working with the platform makers in the future.”

2. “If ‘Ivy the Kiwi?’ does well in Europe then maybe I can make Dreamcast 2,’ joked Naka" (this game btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4tYwTp2Uk0

and i think i'll agree with the gamesradar interviewer guy and say he really wants to work on a new dreamcast (and could bring sonic up golden imo (a sonic adventure 3 :D) , we all can hope for the future)

3. “Of course Dreamcast was my baby back at Sega and I want to carry on making good games for the Eurpean market and one day I’m hoping it gives me the opportunity to work on Dreamcast 2.”

Now with segas third party earnings I cant say that they cant make one, ESPECIALLY when theres a strong chance they are studying todays and last gens market,games,companys, tactics/strategies and operations including the new nintendo but the real question is would you buy one(a new dreamcast)?

I would if developers bring back or make sequels from dreamcast classics like power stone,shenmue, jet set radio, and aslong as its not saturated with fps shooters.

I would trade in my xbox360 for it xD

But beside that they would need to make a REALLY good sonic game.

and they cant abandon the console this time(if they do) cause that was there downfall.

what do you guys think.

It would be a Sega fan's wetdream if there was a Dreamcast 2. However, most likely that Sega won't be making a console for a LONG time, if at all. I do think Sega should take advantage of its third party status and make long awaited sequels to games like Shenmue on more powerful consoles.

Oh, and NiGHTS. Sorry Stevo!

Dreamcast was amazing, truly ahead of its time, but it really didn't stand up. You can say that about some past-gen consoles, but even the NES has some real appeal to go back and play it. The one game I really liked on Dreamcast, Sonic Adventure, got ported recently and playing it was just so disappointing. It really sucks compared to what we've come to expect from games today (i.e., not falling through the map)

Having said that, I've got a lot of respect for Sega and they've taken some chances that have ultimately paid off, like Sonic Colors, and Resonance of Fate, which was amazing. But again the problem arises of nobody knowing or caring about Resonance of Fate.

I loved the Dreamcast, with the little memory cards that had games in them.

I only had a few games for mine.. :/ Only had 1 game for my N64 (Yoshi's Story). In hindsight I don't know why we bought those consoles. Had a lot of NES games though, but even still, nothing like Zelda or anything. Had stuff like Gyruss. Which I have to admit, is an amazing game. Dreamcast I had what, Sonic Adventure, The Grinch, and Centipede.

On the SNES we had Donkey Kong Country, The Lion King.. can't remember any others but there were probably a couple similar to that.

THAT'S MY GAMING SOB STORY. I've just revealed that I don't belong with you guys. I'm so sorry.

Had Sonic and Aladdin on the Genesis.. Ahh ok, I'll stop now. lol

My Dreamcast was the first real console I ever owned, and its library is quite good.

Anyone remember Sonic Shuffle? Crazy Taxi? Unreal Tournament DC?

Crazy Taxi was hard but fun for me, some times i feel like the time was to short for good ranks but honestly that cause i did not play it much.

anyways Im researching more and it brings up more questions is why would sega fire simon when he said 'no hardware' and why are they protecting the rights of the dreamcast http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100197407.pdf, hmmm... with sony and nintendo in a bit of a spot this could be a suprise ;p

Shenmue 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Legacy of Kain 2, PSO, RE: Code Veronica, Grandia motherfucking 2, Space Channel 5, Bangai-O, MVC2....

Man those were some really awesome games. Even if I was always a nintendo kid growing up I knew an amazing game when I saw it (well I didn't see Bangai-O and Grandia 2 until I was much older but hey).

As much as fans would rejoice, I doubt it'd be a marketably viable move until one of the other three consoles are so weak that it'd be a natural move to come and replace one. You know, like what happened to Sega.

Owning a Saturn of myself, I have to really appreciate the type of care and quality that Sega put into its consoles that weren't the Genesis mk 2-3, or 32x.

Too bad Ivy the Kiwi sold like crap. Approx. 40,000 units across both Wii and DS platforms.

A shame, too. It was a really charming, fun, adorable, and well-made game.

At least on the DS. Didn't play the Wii version.

Soundtrack was bitchin', too.

Sega won't enter the hardware market again. At least, not on the home console end as that costs billions of dollars just to create, market and maintain it. And the viability of home consoles in the near future is in question. I doubt they'd jump into the handheld market as well as they'll get dominated by Nintendo and Apple.

There's no real point for Sega to enter any hardware market; their IPs are not unique enough to justify purchasing a console for them unlike for Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. But if we're gonna ask a former console maker to jump back in, why not have NEC and SNK join back in?

Sega doesn't have the resources needed to enter the hardware race again. They would need to start over almost from scratch, building up rep and third party support. They could probably forget about getting EA behind them, who seem to want to have as few consoles on the market as possible. Microsoft spent a huge amount of money to charge into the market, the first Xbox was merely a stepping stone and I don't think they actually made any profit from it. Now put Sega in that scenario and in the state they are today.

Also as Rubber Suit said the future of consoles remaining relevant in the long term is not as certain anymore.

With Sega now being part of Sega-Sammy Holdings, their focus is on:

-raping Sonic over and over while letting their old franchises die (SoR anyone?)

-publishing great games that nobody plays (Valkyria Chronicles, Vanquish)

-building Pachinko machines (which apparently generate some decent profit)

So unless North Armerica and Europe suddenly get the Pachinko fever, the hopes of seeing a new Sega Mark are indeed very slim. ;)